User Avatar Image

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

I know that we have a thread to facilitate this sort of discussion, and a place to vent our excitement for up coming movies. But I felt that this particular film deserves its own thread, seeing as how the majority of us here are highly anticipating its release - something I've deduced from the fact that about 90% of the posts in the 'Up Coming Movie Thread' have mentioned it. I'm referring, of course, to 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides':

On_Stranger_Tides_Poster.jpg

As the poster states, this will be released on May 20, which is under two months away! And, as though some fans weren't excited enough, a new trailer has now been released (though I do warn you that this trailer may contain what will perhaps be the best parts of the film).

151 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I might eventually go see this at the discounted theatres some day. Alot of movies fizzle by the time they get to their 4th story (I'm looking at you Shrek 4) but this might have a chance cause it's focusing more on Jack and New characters. I don't see the point of adding Elizabeth and Will seeing how their story ended in the 3rd one at the very end after the credits.

• @Secret Fawful said: Wet Again

Ah, so that's what caused the scream :).

@Secret Fawful said: I might eventually go see this at the discounted theatres some day. Alot of movies fizzle by the time they get to their 4th story (I'm looking at you Shrek 4) but this might have a chance cause it's focusing more on Jack and New characters. I don't see the point of adding Elizabeth and Will seeing how their story ended in the 3rd one at the very end after the credits.

Also, as has been said, this film is going to be the first installment of a planned trilogy of new films, which gives the audience reason to believe that the writers, crew, etc. actually have a bag of quality ideas. For me personally, that killed off any thought of 'On Stranger Tides' being a desperate attempt to milk whatever the franchise had left to offer.

And, of course, as you've hinted at, they probably wouldn't be introducing new characters or going in a new direction if they planning on doing this just for the money.

• ...wait, so does that mean we may get a second Lego PotC game at some point in the future? Hey, I'm all for that!

Also, I thought they were going in a new direction because of the negative response At World's End got. But hey ho. As long as it doesn't suck, I'm all for it.

• @Darth Marsden said: Also, I thought they were going in a new direction because of the negative response At World's End got. But hey ho. As long as it doesn't suck, I'm all for it.

I don't think they had much of a choice when it came to going in a new direction, thanks to how huge the budget cut was. Whether it worked in their favor or not, I'm not sure. Hopefully it did benefit them; it might have shifted their focus away from the whole CGI/special effects/visual spectacle thing, and more towards the storytelling side of things. That's my hope, anyway.

• having the Tim Powers book as a guide can not hurt the movie either.

• the first one was great because it wasn't as fast paced and jack wasn't only in the movie for comedic reasons

• Ian McShane must always play bad guys he is SOOO good at it... When I die I want to come back as Al Swearengen.

• It was okay. Seemed to parody its own jokes a lot.

• The movie was awesome and it didn't disappoint me. I was happy.

• I am taking the family today.. I hope its great and I hope it does well.. my fear is that its success will be a litmus test for people judging the possible general interest in pirate themed entertainment... I.E. More Monkey Island.

Add Comment