User Avatar Image

BTTF Ep 4: Double Visions Predictions thread (Spoilers Warning!)

posted by The Doc on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

After playing Episode 3,I can clearly say Im very pumped for episode 4...I think Edna will somehow kill someone O.o

197 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have a prediction for the end of episode 4. Marty gets Emmett to break up with Edna, and the real Doc reappears. As they prepare the DeLorean to go home, something happens (maybe a big thunderstorm?) that leads Doc to suspect a paradox may somehow be happening, similar to the intro of the 1st episode. Doc and Marty look into the sky as TO BE CONCLUDED is displayed. Episode 5 would then consist of traveling through time, Past, Present, and Future, trying to fix the mysterious paradox before the Space time continuum is slowly destroyed.

At least that's how I would see it. It would fit, they're on a climactic chase, and they have to fix everything before they run OUTATIME.

• @Technomancer said: OrangeAce and I share the same theory. I believe alternate timelines would branch out, new ones starting and going on their own tangent, but I don't believe going into the past will affect your timeline, like you can't erase yourself from existence IRL. Still, These were very enjoyable to read

If you haven't noticed, the Flah-Scientist93 theory ties all three major time travel theories into one logical whole: 1) you can't change history, but you don't see that (elementary in quantum physics!) before you travel through time the entire way; thus, it looks like 2) you can change history, but you're actually going through 3) alternate timelines (your and OA's theory inside of mine! :)) which are tied circularly as you pass through them, forming a closed time loop where you make time travel cause itself. The trick is, you don't have to travel the full circle, and Marty didn't either throughout the film trilogy, since his parents are better at the point where he stopped in general (end of BTTF1 - present), than before his first time travel back in part 1. But if he can "undo" all of the changes he's originally made by his first time travel (making, in essence, what is (apparently (and NOT just apparently!)!) an exact clone timeline of the one before his first time travel), and then make his journey cause itself by somehow unnoticedly traveling back to 1985 in a way that he himself actually causes Libyans to go and "kill" Doc (we don't see in the first film if he survives or not, but Marty would've made sure that he does, since he can probably make everything look the same regardless of whether he can sneak the letter in or not - making the truth that was always there!), then voila - he's actually back in his original timeline!!! If my and Flah's predictions are correct, the plot of our beloved episodic video game is going to be a closed time loop that touches the not fully traversed original one at the general point Marty has chosen to live at (what he thinks is the same history, but changed; as above, end of BTTF1 - present). Don't let the change in the newspapers content (Doc shot or not) fool you into thinking that wouldn't be a closed loop; it's all about probability, since Doc has done that part of time traveling independent of Marty, and it all ends the same anyway. At the closing of every such time loop, there is an apparent absence of free will, due to the necessary disinformation or lack of information! And note that the particular alternate-timeline structure of these loops also perfectly explains why Doc "Sagan" didn't disappear from the 1931 picture in the FCB timeline.

Savvy? :D You can find more about the three main time travel rulesets here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel
    The free will issue is included and somewhat lampshaded in the first ruleset.

• @Kamagawa said: The thing is Griff could be short for griffen, which is a girl's name, but Griff is a guy. If Biff has a daughter named Tiff, then he should have a son (griff's father).

Biff does have a son. His name is Biff Jr. and he is about 10 years old in 1991. He is a jerk to Doc's son Verne. This is from the animated series, and whether that is considered canon is debatable, but I had always assumed that he was Griff's father.

• @Scientist93 said: If you haven't noticed, the Flah-Scientist93 theory ties all three major time travel theories into one logical whole: 1) you can't change history, but you don't see that (elementary in quantum physics!) before you travel through time the entire way; thus, it looks like 2) you can change history, but you're actually going through 3) alternate timelines (your and OA's theory inside of mine! :)) which are tied circularly as you pass through them, forming a closed time loop where you make time travel cause itself. The trick is, you don't have to travel the full circle, and Marty didn't either throughout the film trilogy, since his parents are better at the point where he stopped in general (end of BTTF1 - present), than before his first time travel back in part 1. But if he can "undo" all of the changes he's originally made by his first time travel (making, in essence, what is (apparently (and NOT just apparently!)!) an exact clone timeline of the one before his first time travel), and then make his journey cause itself by somehow unnoticedly traveling back to 1985 in a way that he himself actually causes Libyans to go and "kill" Doc (we don't see in the first film if he survives or not, but Marty would've made sure that he does, since he can probably make everything look the same regardless of whether he can sneak the letter in or not - making the truth that was always there!), then voila - he's actually back in his original timeline!!! If my and Flah's predictions are correct, the plot of our beloved episodic video game is going to be a closed time loop that touches the not fully traversed original one at the general point Marty has chosen to live at (what he thinks is the same history, but changed; as above, end of BTTF1 - present). Don't let the change in the newspapers content (Doc shot or not) fool you into thinking that wouldn't be a closed loop; it's all about probability, since Doc has done that part of time traveling independent of Marty, and it all ends the same anyway. At the closing of every such time loop, there is an apparent absence of free will, due to the necessary disinformation or lack of information! And note that the particular alternate-timeline structure of these loops also perfectly explains why Doc "Sagan" didn't disappear from the 1931 picture in the FCB timeline.

Savvy? :D You can find more about the three main time travel rulesets here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel
    The free will issue is included and somewhat lampshaded in the first ruleset.

This is acceptable, except in these cases you still wouldn't fade out of existence, or the hover-conversion parts on the DeLorean for that matter. How could the wheel work and not other parts of the car? That's the big flaw. What you listed doesn't cover these aspects, but then that's where the issues with the BTTF mechanics come in. My concept is identical to the one you just listed, it negates the possibility of erasing something that time traveled back to cause what would erase it. In that alternate timeline it wouldn't exist but it wouldn't remove the one that caused the change, be it living or nonliving.

But yeah, I agree for the most part.

• A note on vehicles: The big cool train from BTTF3, Clara, Jules, and Verne, remain an unknown constant. If they happened to be at a point in time prior to the 1931 flub-ups, they would remain 'unaffected' by the changes. Thus, theoretically, could jump into the FCB timeline with the usual memories of our usual storyline. This isn't likely at all, but certainly remains a mystery, and a dangerous one considering it means another time traveling device 'in the wind' so to speak.

That being said, I think the Ep5 chase will involve Det. Tannen and a new, unknown time device from a future where a temporal police agency exists.

Oh, and a note on the 'viability of the BTTF time mechanics'. Michio Kaku ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku ) did an interview stating that, while not perfect, the BTTF mechanics were the closest he's seen in entertainment media. The interview, I believe, was on the BluRay features recently. Given that he's a professional in the field, his views on it should hold quite a bit of weight compared to most of the rest of us on these forums when it comes to the viability of the mechanics.

• @lincthra said: A note on vehicles: The big cool train from BTTF3, Clara, Jules, and Verne, remain an unknown constant. If they happened to be at a point in time prior to the 1931 flub-ups, they would remain 'unaffected' by the changes. Thus, theoretically, could jump into the FCB timeline with the usual memories of our usual storyline. This isn't likely at all, but certainly remains a mystery, and a dangerous one considering it means another time traveling device 'in the wind' so to speak.

That being said, I think the Ep5 chase will involve Det. Tannen and a new, unknown time device from a future where a temporal police agency exists.

Oh, and a note on the 'viability of the BTTF time mechanics'. Michio Kaku ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku ) did an interview stating that, while not perfect, the BTTF mechanics were the closest he's seen in entertainment media. The interview, I believe, was on the BluRay features recently. Given that he's a professional in the field, his views on it should hold quite a bit of weight compared to most of the rest of us on these forums when it comes to the viability of the mechanics.

"Det. Tannen" who do you mean by that?

• @Technomancer said: "Det. Tannen" who do you mean by that?

A yet unknown Detective Tannen from the future.

• @lincthra said: A yet unknown Detective Tannen from the future.

Where'd you get that from?

• @Technomancer said: Where'd you get that from?

I think there was a poll way back where they asked what people think of different story ideas.
    But I think the Detective Tannen idea scored rather badly.

• I think that both Marty and Jennifer are in some kind of holding area to be Citizen Plus-ed and that's when he tells her "Hey, I'm from an alternate timeline."

Add Comment