User Avatar Image

Was anyone else disappointed with Season 3's ending? (SPOILERS)

posted by Superninfreak on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Let me just start by saying that while I haven't posted much, I love Sam and Max. Some episodes (S1E4, S1E5, and S2E4 especially) were just brilliant. I also loved Season 3.

Until I got to the ending that is.

I had two major problems with it.

1. Max went completely out of character. After Max has been built up as evil for the entire series, it's not believable that he would die just so Sybil wouldn't have to give birth outside of a hospital. I don't think Max would even care if Sybil died, honestly.

2. Girl Stinky died despite the fact that she's alive in the future. This was a pretty glaring plot hole.

The worst part about it though is that I can SEE a brilliant ending in Season 3. Had they not made those mistakes, I would want that to be the finale of everything Sam and Max, just because of how beautiful an ending it would have been.

#1 could have easily been fixed if it were Sam who Max died for instead of Sybil. Sam is the only person I think Max would die for, and it would still get across the point that Max isn't completely irredeemable.

So yeah, thoughts?

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It was a shocker, certainly, but I don't know whether it was really a good or bad ending for me.

• @Superninfreak said: Let me just start by saying that I haven't posted much, I love Sam and Max. Some episodes (S1E4, S1E5, and S2E4 especially) were just brilliant. I also loved Season 3.

1. Max went completely out of character. After Max has been built up as evil for the entire series, it's not believable that he would die just so Sybil wouldn't have to give birth outside of a hospital. I don't think Max would even care if Sybil died, honestly.

2. Girl Stinky died despite the fact that she's alive in the future. This was a pretty glaring plot hole.

The worst part about it though is that I can SEE a brilliant ending in Season 3. Had they not made those mistakes, I would want that to be the finale of everything Sam and Max, just because of how beautiful an ending it would have been.

#1 could have easily been fixed if it were Sam who Max died for instead of Sybil. Sam is the only person I think Max would die for, and it would still get across the point that Max isn't completely irredeemable.

So yeah, thoughts?

We never see Stinky alive in the future. All we know is it's a girl stinky, not THE Girl Stinky.

Also, you clearly do not understand the concept of character development.

• To my understanding, it was not quite Max just dying to save Sybil. From what I could gather, Max ID understood that he was going to die soon anyway. It wasn't the nuke to the chest that did him in, it was actually that his head was going to catch on fire and explode. When Sam and the others get out, Max's head immediately goes out in flames, then he gets the nuke to the chest, and then he teleports himself out to space. So what he does is not sacrifice himself, but actually STOP trying to destroy the west coast of the USA when he goes out (which was Ego's original plan).

• @Superninfreak said: Let me just start by saying that I haven't posted much, I love Sam and Max. Some episodes (S1E4, S1E5, and S2E4 especially) were just brilliant. I also loved Season 3.

So yeah, thoughts?

No, Max isn't evil his alter ego is

• The ID isn't 'evil' per say just an expression of a person's most base desires. Max had been developing a little bit over the entire season (or so I felt).

• The first episode already dealed with predefined future. I assume the future in 204 was like the future visions what could happen not what will happen in the future.

• I wasn't disappointed, because the ending broke my tiny little heart. If a game can do that, it's noteworthy.

@Superninfreak said:

BUT, Max isn't evil. Not strictly evil, atleast. He acts like he doesn't care, but he does save the world an awful lot for not caring. Season 3 even has him actively saving the world on his own at times. He may use the Toys of Power for... stupid purposes, but he doesn't use them for evil. (Hey, if it was up to me, I'd be using those Powers for Stupid more than for Good, lol.)

And, as crfh explained, he doesn't die just to save Sybil, he dies to save everybody (including Sam). Saving Sybil wasn't his only goal, although it was probably emphasized to make it seem that way, because Max dying to save someone other than Sam is more unexpected.

• This whole Stinky alive in the future could prompt an idea for Season 4 - Sam and Max could end up in the future once more and have to figure out whether it is the real girl Stinky or some imposter...

• @Ribs said: Also, you clearly do not understand the concept of character development.

There's a difference between character development and someone going out of character.

Development has to be believable, and I didn't believe Max would do what he did.

@Ribs said: To my understanding, it was not quite Max just dying to save Sybil. From what I could gather, Max ID understood that he was going to die soon anyway. It wasn't the nuke to the chest that did him in, it was actually that his head was going to catch on fire and explode. When Sam and the others get out, Max's head immediately goes out in flames, then he gets the nuke to the chest, and then he teleports himself out to space. So what he does is not sacrifice himself, but actually STOP trying to destroy the west coast of the USA when he goes out (which was Ego's original plan).

IIRC, they were trying to save Max by getting rid of the tumor when he told them to help Sybil instead. His death wasn't inevitable, and if he had been saved he wouldn't have continued to attack the town anyway.

The fact is that Max being selfish was emphasized again and again throughout the series. I didn't get the impression that Sybil was someone Max particularly cared about, so it seemed strange that he would die for her. There was only one character who Max actually seemed to care about at all - Sam.

@Ribs said: BUT, Max isn't evil. Not strictly evil, atleast. He acts like he doesn't care, but he does save the world an awful lot for not caring. Season 3 even has him actively saving the world on his own at times. He may use the Toys of Power for... stupid purposes, but he doesn't use them for evil. (Hey, if it was up to me, I'd be using those Powers for Stupid more than for Good, lol.)

I was under the impression that Sam and Max only save the world because they have fun doing so.

• @Superninfreak said: I was under the impression that Sam and Max only save the world because they have fun doing so.

True, but they could have just as much fun aiding villains, or being villains. And they choose not to. The choices characters make (especially under pressure) are what define their characterization.

Add Comment