User Avatar Image

How tightly do Lucasarts and Sierra hold on to their old licenses?

posted by Armakuni on - last edited - Viewed by 703 users

I'm wondering as it would be totally kick ass to have episodes based on some other old adventure games series. I know this is probably totally unrealistic but hey a guy can dream :)

I'd love to see episodic Monkey Island games, perhaps get Ron Gilbert on the team.. that would be a dream come true for me!

Or Space Quest episodes.. that would kick ass too! Or Quest for Glory.. or Gabriel Knight! Gabriel Knight episodes would be so damn cool!

What old series would you like to see continued as series? I realize it's very unrealistic but theoretically speaking what would you like to see? :)

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Simon the sorcerer.. Those games were brilliant.
    And Outcast. There was a sequel in the works but after Infogrames died, so did the sequel.

• Sierra is extremely protective of their licenses. They have let a few Space Quest and King's Quest fan games be made, but otherwise they keep a tight grip on them. I don't know much about how LucasArts handles theirs. I doubt either company would object to someone buying licenses to their old games though.

• From Bill Tiller at Autumn Moon Entertainment:

http://www.adventure-eu.com/forum/index.php?topic=1056.0

Lucas won’t sell their IPs. I know from several people have tried buying some. And they tried to buy some of the lesser known ones too. My guess is Lucas won’t sell because it is not their policy to sell. I think they don’t want to set precedent and they don’t want to spend their management time and lawyer time contemplating each offer to buy a LEC license. SO they just say not to all offers out of hand.

But what I’d like to see is a Monkey Island game designed by Ron Gilbert, written by Tin Schafer, Check Jordan, and Jonathan Ackley, animated by Larry Ahren, and the backgrounds done by myself. Now that would be a fun game to work on. Never going to happen.

-Bill Tiller

• @AdamG said: Sierra is extremely protective of their licenses. They have let a few Space Quest and King's Quest fan games be made, but otherwise they keep a tight grip on them. I don't know much about how LucasArts handles theirs. I doubt either company would object to someone buying licenses to their old games though.

You don't need to own the license if your making a freeware title, right? (I'm making a fangame based on the Blood license) I mean, isn't it like fanfics? As long as there's no profit being made...

• You might not need to pay them, but you need their permission. Otherwise, not only can they stop you, but they are legally obligated to do so, in order to protect their copyrights.

• I whipped up an e-mail to Atari to obtain permission, thanks for clearing that up for me, I'd be pretty pissed if I got a cease and desist letter after months of development lol

• @ShaggE said: You don't need to own the license if your making a freeware title, right? (I'm making a fangame based on the Blood license) I mean, isn't it like fanfics? As long as there's no profit being made...

Definitely not true. I'm a member of the team of The Silver Lining, a King's Quest fan game. We were shut down by Vivendi in September 2005, though they allowed us to continue work on the game in November following negotiations.

• If worse comes to worse, I'll just use the Chewbacca defense on 'em.

• What's that, "RARRRLL?!"? :p

• I was at a bookstore earlier tonight and saw complete collections of Kings Quest, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry for $20 (well, complete except for the Swat games and most recent Larry endeavor) didn't notice Space Quest though. So it's clear that Sierra is still interested in holding the licenses to their games. At least they're putting them out again with Windows XP computability.

Add Comment