User Avatar Image

Deconstruction of nublar: film or novel cannon

posted by SWGNATE on - last edited - Viewed by 744 users

ok i read the novel and it said the island was bombed as the ingen chopper took off.. This did not happen in the movie, i also noticed universal cut out the board room scene where ludlow talks about the nublar deconstruction briefly in TLW, so technically the island was never destroyed in the movie cannon....right? which opens up for a possible film on nublar again?

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's debatable, but I'd count it as movie canon.

• I'd like to consider the deleted scene to be canon, as opposed to an alternate scene that some movies have, but that is open to argument.

• I consider that scene, even though deleted, to be cannon. But like the others said it's open for debate. I think that even though we don't see the scene in the actual movie there's enough there to basicly hint that the meeting went on.

• ok so everyone knows the scene im talking about? i was hoping they left nublar intact as well, the dinosaurs were breeding there too so an ecosystem could sprout.. the fact that they didnt add either nublar being destroyed or the meeting i think sort of hints that they wanted the island intact but im not sure... perhaps we will find out at the end of Jurassic park episode 5.

• I like to think Isla Nublar was raided and dismantled, as per the deleted scene and the ending of the novel, but that not all the dinosaurs were destroyed ("Something has survived"), and by now there are healthy populations living in equilibrium. "Life finds a way."

As a side, it's always bugged me how The Lost World movie used the "Something has survived" tagline from the novel. It made sense for the book, because the island and the dinosaurs were destroyed at the end of the first novel. But that didn't happen in the first movie, so there was no reason to think anything other than the island was just abandoned and the dinosaurs were left to live in peace.

• @jurassiraptor said: I like to think Isla Nublar was raided and dismantled, as per the deleted scene and the ending of the novel, but that not all the dinosaurs were destroyed ("Something has survived"), and by now there are healthy populations living in equilibrium. "Life finds a way."

I absolutely agree with that. There were probably some smaller animals like Compys, Dilophosaurus, or juvinile Raptors that could have easily been in hiding during the deconstruction process and they are now surviving on their own. But that may only give enough material for a "Monster Quest" style of movie, which may be better set in the Costa Rican jungle.

• @jurassiraptor said:
    As a side, it's always bugged me how The Lost World movie used the "Something has survived" tagline from the novel. It made sense for the book, because the island and the dinosaurs were destroyed at the end of the first novel. But that didn't happen in the first movie, so there was no reason to think anything other than the island was just abandoned and the dinosaurs were left to live in peace.

absolutely agree!!!
    "Something survived" was a very thrilling phrase concerning the novel.
    Simply because Jurassic Park ended with a bombed Isla Nublar.
    They only guess was Marty Guitierrez' state that there were animals in the Costa Rican jungle which moved like the raptors did on the beach - like migratory birds.

But the movie just ended with an abandoned Isla Nublar. Okay, the missing of lysine could've resulted in the death of the dinosaurs but basically the audience thought that the animals were just roaming around freely on Isla Nublar. Thus "Something survived" didn't sound as thrilling as in the novel at all!

• @tope1983 said: "Something survived" was a very thrilling phrase concerning the novel.
    They only guess was Marty Guitierrez' state that there were animals in the Costa Rican jungle which moved like the raptors did on the beach - like migratory birds.

I loved that ending in the book. It would be great to see that expanded upon in the future.

• @tope1983 said: absolutely agree!!!
    "Something survived" was a very thrilling phrase concerning the novel.

But the movie just ended with an abandoned Isla Nublar. Okay, the missing of lysine could've resulted in the death of the dinosaurs but basically the audience thought that the animals were just roaming around freely on Isla Nublar. Thus "Something survived" didn't sound as thrilling as in the novel at all!

i think when they made the tag line they were reffering to the lycene contigency, arnold said they would die without lycene implying the dinos died after the island was abandond for a week... TLW shows that this was not the case...for most likley both islands. and if isla nublar were bombed after grant and the group left then wouldnt the survivors (harding, jessi, bill yoder, etc die in the bombing?) i honestly think the bombing and deconstruction was removed from movie cannon. but i dunno

• Well even in the 3rd movie there was a slight mention of Nublar. "So wait there are two islands with dinosaurs on them?"

Also when Grant was answering questions at the end of his lecture someone mentioned "..until they figure out what to do with that [I]other[I] island (being Sorna) which implies something was done to Nublar.

I dont see any reason why Nublar would be dismantled yet let "Site B" just decay. The animals were lysine contingent, there isn't anything you can cover up by destroying the island. I mean come on. That park had to have had hundreds of employees, building contractors, genetic engineers, share holders - and plus your CLONING DINOSAURS - the public is going to know about it.

Destroying the island would be a waste of money.

And there is no such thing as a Costa Rican Air Force.

Add Comment