User Avatar Image

Wii HD

posted by DrRocketGenius on - last edited - Viewed by 265 users

Well, it's that time again: rumors of Nintendo's next console are beginning to pick up.

First, people started to report the Wii will be receiving a price cut.
Next, the rumors started.

Supposedly, it will be revealed at E3 2011.
Supposedly, it uses Bluray.
Supposedly, it's more powerful than the 360 or PS3.
Supposedly, it will have a controller with a touch screen.
Supposedly, it will have a controller with a HD screen.
Supposedly, that screen will be six inches.
Supposedly, developers already have development kits.

Now that's a lot of supposedly's. So, what really will happen? I guess we'll be finding out soon.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just hope they don't skimp on the graphics. I don't care much about them personally, but it'd be nice to start getting multi-console releases on a Nintendo console again. Maybe some of them retroactively, if we're lucky.

Also, an HDD and an improved online/DLC service would be nice. I'm tired of getting screwed on Rock Band stuff.

• It being more powerful won't really make a difference 'til the other two companies upgrade as well. Most games are still going to be designed with the idea of being able to run them on the 360 and PS3 in mind, then ported to the Wii2 with a slight graphics update. The only games that will really utilized the system's power will be 1st party games... which means some totally beautiful Zeldas and Metroids.

• Just a shame that metroid and zelda won't be due sequels for quite a while, given the fact that the last metroid game underperformed, and skyward sword/OoT 3D aren't even out yet.

• I'm still praying for a Zero Misson-esque update for Metroid II.

• @GuruGuru214 said: I just hope they don't skimp on the graphics

Oh, that should be the least of your worries. From another forum I go to:

Just to drop a little knowledge on what to expect should that GPU spec alone pan out:

[Quote]
    R700 is the codename for only one GPU; the 4870x2.

There's no way that would end up in the system but if Nintendo are using a GPU that is more than 10x as powerful as Xenos in their dev kits, then this thing is going to be no slouch.

Xenos is the 360's internal GPU name. [/QUOTE]

• That sounds cool.

However, there is one thing I don't like about Nintendo consoles.

And that is the slowness of retail price decreases, especially on Nintendo produced titles.

That might seem stingy, but its hard to have a strong library when games cost £40 retail release over here.

Plus the cost of this console could be very hefty.
    Heck, If its anywhere near the £400 mark, then I might as well get a new PC.

• I'm very intrigued. Looking forward to the reveal at E3.

• @RetroVortex said: That sounds cool.

However, there is one thing I don't like about Nintendo consoles.

And that is the slowness of retail price decreases, especially on Nintendo produced titles.

That might seem stingy, but its hard to have a strong library when games cost £40 retail release over here.

Plus the cost of this console could be very hefty.
    Heck, If its anywhere near the £400 mark, then I might as well get a new PC.

Wii is cheaper than the 360 or PS3.

• Sounds promising. Can't wait for the reveal.

• @DAISHI said: Wii is cheaper than the 360 or PS3.

3DS wasn't cheaper than PSP ;D (It worked out to a little more than the PSP in the UK)

The Wii was indeed cheaper, but don't forget, the console wasn't much more powerful than the Gamecube.

If the new Nintendo console is as powerful as it is rumoured, it will cost quite a bit. Plus Nintendo normally try to make a profit on the hardware, so I don't see them undercutting it.

I do hope they make use of the 3DS much more than the Wii used the DS and the Gamecube used the GBA.

Imagine the console taking advantage of the 3DS 3D screen, augmented reality, and its extra horsepower.

Add Comment