User Avatar Image

Why all the hate on JP:TG?

posted by Asian Inferno on - last edited - Viewed by 620 users

NOTE: It's a little long! :)

Intro:
Now I know we all love and are looking forward to the wonderful, "Jurassic Park: The Game". Otherwise we wouldn't be on here discussing and analyzing the JP movies and related medias themselves. But every time I see a site posting up something JP:TG related and it has a comments section, you tend to see a lot of negativity and criticism to the game and how it's being developed or shown.

Arguments:
So far the only arguments are:
*Bad Graphics
*Bad Animation
*Wrong Type of a Game (IE:Interactive Adventure)
*Wrong/Bad Gameplay (IE:QTE)
*Copying Heavy Rain
*Looks Boring
*The standard variants of: This Game ______ (Sucks, Is Bad, Is Sh!t, Is Crap, etc.)

Question:
Question is, how would you even respond to this (Not that you really should, cause they'll ignore you). You know stating these things won't change their minds. But why do you think they keep repeating these statements?

---

Response:
My personal opinions:
*Bad Graphics - To allow for the most time for developing and getting the game out, Telltale managed to update their engine as best they could without sacrificing time to make the game's core gameplay and designs as best they could. In addition, great graphics does not always mean great gameplay.
*Bad Animation - Because of it not being a high budget game (IE: Call of Duty, Halo, Mass Effect, Force Unleashed) the animators are doing the best they can within the time and effort given as mentioned above. It's not like they have a mo-cap studio either, they make do with what they can.
*Wrong Type of a Game (IE:Interactive Adventure) - Some of the people who state this are then asking for a sequel to a past JP game (IE: JP:OG), which isn't bad. But it couldn't be more perfect to have an interactive adventure game that parallels the experience in the movies.
*Wrong/Bad Gameplay (IE:QTE) - You couldn't get a more perfect formula for a game based on a movie. You've got the cinematic aspect with player input through the manipulations of varying prompts and triggers. Not only this, Telltale even rewards the player for failing by bringing forth an entertaining demise so the play will never be frustrated.
*Copying Heavy Rain - Well the developers already stated that they would draw inspiration from Heavy Rain, so this one seems attributed to ignorance of research.
*Looks Boring - First off it's a demo, this is only one small segment out of a much larger game, not everything it going to be like this. These people judge because they didn't want to play a JP game in the first place that was an FPS with high-end graphics. These are the COD generation of preteen-teen games who are adrenaline junkies with ADD complexes who need constant action/violence on the screen. In their world if it's not the aforementioned criteria, it is boring.
*The standard variants of: This Game ______ (Sucks, Is Bad, Is Sh!t, Is Crap, etc.) - Again this can be attributed to judgment by a demo and the aforementioned audience of today's youth in gaming. This isn't to say every teen is like that, but a vast majority of kids are and if you've been online in say Xbox Live or PSN you would encounter such an example. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it appears that some opinions should not be taken into account when research and lack of analysis brings forth a one sentence judgment of such.

Conclusion:
I enjoy the FPS genre a lot (Especially Halo), but I also love other types of games as well. I don't feel that JP:TG is any less better than those types of games. But it's once we actually experience the games for themselves with no bias that an appropriate response can be developed. I'm not here to say that Jurassic Park: The Game will be the best Jurassic Park game out there; I hope it will be, but I can't have a final judgment yet. So far, everything I've personally seen from the Gameplay to the Concept Arts and Videos all imply a group who are as passionate about Jurassic Park and Games in general that are trying to develop a "definitive JP game". But we'll just have to wait and see how it actually turns out.

I also have to note the level of criticism and feedback from fans that Telltale seems to be listening to as well, which is a key aspect in appealing to the buyers/players of the game. Here's hoping it all not for naught.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Asian Inferno said: But why do you think they keep repeating these statements?

Stereotypes and teenager intellectual egocentrism.

Basically you shouldn't give a damn, unless you're part of them.

• I really question why people are hating on this game. From what's been revealed to us, it looks fine. The graphics are suitable, and exceptionally well given Telltale's style, the gameplay suits the movie feel, and for the budget it was given, it looks really solid. A lot of people out there are automatically labeling this game as a fail simply because it isn't a FPS with Crysis-esque graphics. It doesn't have to be that way for every game that comes out. PErsonally, I find FPS games to be boring and repetative (i.e. shooting people and blowing shit up til your pickup arrives), and there's just way too many of them. Secondly, Jurassic Park isn't about shooting dinosaurs. It never has been, and it never will be. Honestly, watch all 3 movies and tell me how many dinosaurs met their death at the hands of a gun. The answer: 0. It'd be an insult to the mythos of the film to waste a game on an FPS engine (the exception being Tresspasser, which was an amazing game for it's time).

• In my opinion if there are too many bratty kids out there who think that the only types of games there should be are ones where you can be violent, break into cars and speed around a city or ones where you are shooting, stabbing or blowing people up. Violence is fun for them. Having to think, admire the actual graphics and get "into" the game such as being there at Jurassic Park, being one of the team is totally out of the question.

Sure RPG games such as Fable, Knights of the Old Republic do well, but come no where near the popularity of a game where you are expected to spread someones brains out on the road.

This game has violence in it, but its a different kind to shooting someone COD style. For some that does not interest.

I'm really looking forward to this game. I've been a fan of JP as I went to the cinema for the original film.

As with life, let the haters hate, and the players play.

• Im 13 and im not like other teens and im glad to be honest i was trying to defend this game (like you said they ignored me) mainly because im a jp fanboy and i like that telltale actually gave us the meaning of jurassic park.The graphics are pretty decent its not amazing but i can live with it i hate those snobby kids who always ask for more. And this is more realistic in my point of view than any dinosaur shooting game if u were on an island full of energetic dangerous dinosaurs would u randomly get a machine gun with unlimited ammo out of thin air or would you get the hell outta there and to be honest when i get the game ima mess up on purpose because i like violence.To be honest i was spectacle about this game at first because all jp games b4 it REALLY left me down (only exception is Genesis) i remeber reading a comment on youtube that said that this game will be another let down dont knock it till u try it folks im really anxious for this game

• This really makes me mad as well. But I try to ignore it all but sometimes I can't help myself. Especially because a lot of the bad things they have to say just arn't true at all. I really hate when the say the graphics are bad. I'm not sure how the hell you can think they graphics are bad. I mean, there are games with more realistc graphics but just because the graphics in Jurassic park don't look as good as another game doesn't automaticly made them bad.

As for the gameplay, some just can't go beyond FPS. Which is bad for them. If they can't try anything new or worse (refuse to try anything new and say that it sucks because it's not their type of gameplay) the that's their fault. And screw them. This game will be awesome.

• I'm a fan of pretty much every genre of gaming, so I don't really care what the format is, as long as its done well. I think the adventure/quicktime format has potential here. As for the graphics...well, I still play our old NES from time to time and I'm an avid minecrafter, so I can take 'bad graphics' if the game is good. The graphics here aren't completely amazing, but they're pretty decent and capture the feel of the movie, from what we've seen in the previews.

And honestly, I can't see a traditional style FPS for JP. An open roam first person game could be interesting, but you'd need to find a balance between shooty and puzzles that are challenging, but not hair-rippingly frustrating. Also might add tranquilizer effects if going that route, since most of the stuff on the island was animal control stuff. If you went with trespasser/lost world style stuff then there's more potential for the shooting aspect, but I think the tendency would be too much to the shooting aspect for most developers.

• @Asian Inferno said:
    *Bad Animation - Because of it not being a high budget game (IE: Call of Duty, Halo, Mass Effect, Force Unleashed) the animators are doing the best they can within the time and effort given as mentioned above. It's not like they have a mo-cap studio either, they make do with what they can.

Then, uh, I dunno, do not have SIX projects on hold at the same time to, you know, put more consideration to what you ARE doing, so that you can offer better animations? It's not like Telltale CAN'T do it. Look at ToMI or Sam and Max Season 1 and 2... Everything looks so lively. And then, you take a look at BTTF and see how choppy ALL the animations are. I'm sorry, I agree with everything else but here, it's kind of Telltale's own fault.

• I hate this game because we are waiting for ages for his release!

• @DFSpace said: In my opinion if there are too many bratty kids out there who think that the only types of games there should be are ones where you can be violent, break into cars and speed around a city or ones where you are shooting, stabbing or blowing people up. Violence is fun for them.

This, at least, is nothing new. In another dinosaur game I had circa 1992, the object was largely survival, but I knew people who would go out of their way to attack every dinosaur they saw, and refused to believe me when I told them that all they were doing was risking their safety unnecessarily. Everyone knows that computer games give you points for killing things, right?

I'm still sceptical about the degree to which Telltale seem to be headed into ‘interactive movies’; yes, their source material is a movie with an element of constant danger, but the same was true of the Indiana Jones films, and that didn’t stop Fate of Atlantis from working as an adventure game. And it’s a bit discouraging that most of the reviewers seem to enjoy the death animations more than the game itself. But all we’ve seen so far is a small dmeo, and I’m willing to give them a chance — it may be a lot more impressive when it comes together as a whole.

Add Comment