User Avatar Image

Is Star Wars over rated?

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 769 users

Houdini!

117 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh dang, I voted the wrong one. :S

The original version of the Original Trilogy is great. It's classic. It's wonderful.

The SE changes suck. The prequels suck. The Clone Wars animated movie is forgettable, and I haven't watched the TV show.

• I would say it absolutely is overrated but some of those movies are simply breathtaking when viewed through the eyes of a child. In the franchises defence, the elements other than the clunky, awkward, sometimes downright nonsensical dialogue; mediocre to poor directing from Lucas (on the 4 entries he directed) and his over-relience on CGI in the prequels, are frankly superb. From the classic design of all of the fictional technology, through to the spellbinding score (John Williams) and outstanding sound design (Ben Burtt), those movies represent some of the finest creative minds of our time.

The only problem lies with George Lucas himself as he surrounds himself with YES men these days. The movies always worked best as a true collaboration (with certain egos and arrogance left at the door). Star Wars changed to a pure money making enterprise following the release of Empire (if you haven't already then you must read what ex-producer Gary Kurtz has to say here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/08/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer.html... it's a very revealing interview).

Quite frankly, I've moved on and outgrown Star Wars but it will always remain a very fond memory from my childhood and teenage years. However, it's nice to watch the movies once every couple of years when they get shown on TV.

• @Davies said: The only problem lies with George Lucas himself

I agree.

• Doodo, this won't bring Dashing back. If anything, you're just driving him away. By being you.

• Yes. Don't get me wrong, its a fun group of films, but I never get very emotionally invested as a lot of people say they get.

But people who claim that "it's the best film of all times" really need to get out of their own asses and watch some real good films.

• Yes, ALL SW movies are overrated, annoying, and full of obscurity that developers didn't bother to fill in, since, like, they're in space, and in space everything may happen I guess.

The whole setting is overly formulaic and sometimes nonsensical. The continuation of the first three movies are apparent milking of an already not-so-promising franchise. Star Wars, is to me, a giant cow with udders bigger than Death Star itself; but the milk tastes just like any other regular cow's product. Unfortunately people cares more about the name and fame of the source rather than the product itself, so it continues to drag a fandom with itself into the bland depths of mediocrity.

@Comrade Pants said: Doodo, this won't bring Dashing back. If anything, you're just driving him away. By being you.

Maybe the things I'm saying is powerful enough to do it.

• I miss Dashing, but I'm not trying to bring him back. Even if I wanted to go back to the way I was before, I couldn't...for the past few days I've been in a deranged psychological composition, spider webs and staples, nails, old shoe strings holding it all together, old sticky notes and duct tape...it's a real mess. I think I've finally entered through the gates that the dogs and horrors were chasing me into, and now those gates are closed.

As are my eyes closed to intellectual questions, conversations, debates...my mind is deranged, hindered, and it's pressed up against the back of my eyes, like that gate I mentioned that my mind has ran into....one side the gate looks opened but it's certainly closed on the other side, the side that my mind is in...No new questions, ideas, no nothing...

Open eyes, no vision inside.

Just a slow decent into the hell my mind is trapped in. I may of let those dogs in with me that chased me in here, seems like my mind is being ate away...

@Falanca said: Yes, ALL SW movies are overrated, annoying, and full of obscurity that developers didn't bother to fill in, since, like, they're in space, and in space everything may happen I guess.

The whole setting is overly formulaic and sometimes nonsensical. The continuation of the first three movies are apparent milking of an already not-so-promising franchise. Star Wars, is to me, a giant cow with udders bigger than Death Star itself; but the milk tastes just like any other regular cow's product. Unfortunately people cares more about the name and fame of the source rather than the product itself, so it continues to drag a fandom with itself into the bland depths of mediocrity.

Whatever, I don't care anymore. I like your symbolism, rather a word I won't be spelling right, anology.

• @Falanca said: Yes, ALL SW movies are overrated, annoying, and full of obscurity that developers didn't bother to fill in, since, like, they're in space, and in space everything may happen I guess.

Ah, The Force; possibly the biggest cheat and most lazy plot device ever used in a movie. Seriously, the number of times Lucas writes himself out of a corner by pro-claiming that "TeH fOrCE" did it is rather irritating (the prequels are far more guilty of this crime than the original trilogy though).

Also, as an adult, I really don't dig the whole light/dark side angle. Nothing in life is pure black or white, everything is a variable shade of grey. To think otherwise is a somewhat childish, naive and simplistic viewpoint.

@Falanca said: ...people who claim that "it's the best film of all times" really need to get out of their own asses and watch some real good films.

Providing these people are above the age of 18 then I couldn't agree more.

@Falanca said: I miss Dashing, but I'm not trying to bring him back. Even if I wanted to go back to the way I was before, I couldn't...for the past few days I've been in a deranged psychological composition, spider webs and staples, nails, old shoe strings holding it all together, old sticky notes and duct tape...it's a real mess. I think I've finally entered through the gates that the dogs and horrors were chasing me into, and now those gates are closed.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough time of it, I honestly am clueless as to what all this talk of Dashing is about though. By the way, is it awful of me that reading your comment made me want to replay Psyconauts?!

• @Comrade Pants said: Doodo, this won't bring Dashing back. If anything, you're just driving him away. By being you.

Why has he became a lurker anyway?

• @Falanca said: Yes, ALL SW movies are overrated, annoying, and full of obscurity that developers didn't bother to fill in, since, like, they're in space, and in space everything may happen I guess.

What other movies were like Star Wars prior to its release?

Add Comment