User Avatar Image

A thread for mystery fans ???

posted by dumpling321 on - last edited - Viewed by 689 users

I'm a huge mystery fan, be it book, television, movies, games, etc. I thought it might be nice to have a thread discussing the mystery genre... maybe we can give each other ideas ^_^

myself, I'm currently reading through everything that Agatha Christie ever wrote (In order) I just finished "the mysterious mr. quinn" which is a collection of short stories she wrote about a mysterious man (Harley Quinn) who shows up whenever old Mr. satterthwaite (The protagonist) encounters a mystery, he particularly loves to tangle in the affairs of lovers. It's uncertain wether he's a real person, or a fantasm, or maybe even a part of mr. satterthwaite himself, all thats certain is that he brings out the best in mr. satterthwaite and helps him to solve mysteries, I must add that my favorite quote of all time came from this book...

Listen. I will put a case to you. A man comes to a certain place--to commit suicide, shall we say? But by chance he finds another man there, so he fails in his purpose and goes away-- to live. The second man has saved the first man's life, not by being necissary to him or prominent in his life but just by the mere physical fact of having been in a certain place at a certain moment. You take your life today and perhaps, some five, six, seven years hence, someone will go to death or disaster simply for lack of your presence in a given spot or place. It may be a runaway horse coming down a street that swerved aside at sight of you and so fails to trample a child that is playing in the gutter. That child may live to grow up and be a great musician, or discover a cure for cancer. or it may be less melodramatic then that. He may just grow up to ordinary everyday happiness.-----You say your life is your own, but can you ignore the chance that you are taking part in a gigantic drama under the orders of a divine producer? Your cue may not come till the end of the play--it may be totally uninportant, a mere walking on part, but on it may hang the issues of the play, if you do not give the cue to another player. The whole edifice may crumple. You as you, may not matter to anyone in the world, but you as a person in a particular place may matter unimaginably~~~~ Agatha Christie

I'm also currently watching through the entire Murder She Wrote series on netflix

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, I like me some good mysteries. Anything Sherlock Holmes. And the odd few episodes of Midsomer Murders here and there. ;)

(Also, that is an excellent quote.)

• @Hayley the Hedgie said: Yeah, I like me some good mysteries. Anything Sherlock Holmes. And the odd few episodes of Midsomer Murders here and there. ;)

(Also, that is an excellent quote.)

I got a little teary when i read the quote... it's what i've always felt on the subject put into words which are infinatly more profound then anything I could ever think up.

• I love Poirot books and the tv show.

• @dumpling321 said: I got a little teary when i read the quote... it's what i've always felt on the subject put into words which are infinatly more profound then anything I could ever think up.

It's incredibly deep.

• Oh CMON!! No other mystery fans around here? I'd think that the mystery genre would be popular amongst that adventure gaming crowd, since they both involve the same sort of deduction and logic =D

• Well, it sounds like something I could be interested in but I can't exactly say I'm a "fan", even though Umineko no Naku Koro ni made me interested in the mystery genre I just haven't found the time or willpower to dedicate to it x___X

• Mystery sounds like an interesting genre to get into but the sheer size makes my head boggle, in some cases a detective may have thirty books and 50 short stories. I like the TV adaptations of Miss Marple, Poirot and Jonathon Creek unfortunately the only detective literature I have read is a collection of Father Brown short stories.

• @SunnyGuy said: Well, it sounds like something I could be interested in but I can't exactly say I'm a "fan", even though Umineko no Naku Koro ni made me interested in the mystery genre I just haven't found the time or willpower to dedicate to it x___X

OMG! I had never heard of that, I looked it up and it looks fantastic! I'm going to check out the anime ^_^

The plot sounds like it was inspired by the Agatha Christie novel "And Then There Were None" http://www.amazon.com/Then-There-Were-None/dp/0312330871/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304404144&sr=8-1 If that interested you I'd definitely suggest checking out the book ^_^

The name also reminded me of the anime "Higarashi no Naku Koro ni", Ever seen it? It's a mystery anime about a small town, where people are going crazy and killing each other, season 1 shows everything thats happening and leaves the viewer completly confused, season 2 explains everything ^_^ It's an amazing anime

• @Sausy Gibbon said: Mystery sounds like an interesting genre to get into but the sheer size makes my head boggle, in some cases a detective may have thirty books and 50 short stories. I like the TV adaptations of Miss Marple, Poirot and Jonathon Creek unfortunately the only detective literature I have read is a collection of Father Brown short stories.

Agatha Christie made it to 80 full novels ^_^ I'm about 16 novels in atm, theyre not all detective stories however, she has a good assortment of adventure/mystery and supernatural/mystery as well xDD

I'd suggest reading the Sherlock holmes stories, there are only about 3-4 full novels, the rest are short stories... I grabbed the 2 volume complete set at a used bookstore a few years ago and since then i've been avidly reading mystery fiction ^_^

• @dumpling321 said: I'm going to check out the anime ^_^

DONT DONT DONT (SPECIALLY because you're a mystery fan) THERE IS NO ANIME, just read the original VN.

Anyways, yeah, "And Then There Were None" was even directly mentioned one time.

Funny you mention Higurashi. Same author, same series (although they're not really related otherwise as far as anyone knows except for maybe one character). You should also read the Higurashi VN, it's not as badly adapted as Umineko from what I've heard, but the anime still wasn't that great of an adaptation with the author even going as far as saying that the anime was impossible to solve by itself because of it.

Add Comment