User Avatar Image

Your views on wikipedia

posted by coolguy721 on - last edited - Viewed by 348 users

What does everyone think of Wikipedia? Do they consider it a source? I always use it and consider it real? What do you think?

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Professors will tell you not to use it in papers.

In truth, we use it in academia, and often. Just not for references.

Serious papers cannot reference Wikipedia, and not just because anyone can edit it, but because encyclopedias, even Wikipedia, are often outdated. There's been plenty of times I've read Wikipedia and been irked by the content.

To be honest though, the broad, general content is often correct. The minute details important to researchers may very well not be, but you're generally getting good content. Nature magazine did a research article on it and said it is 98% accurate, and again, there's not a one of us in the history department that doesn't refer to it for broad refreshers.

• Wikipedia is hardly accurate, they have no dignity and they show everything that can be taken in a picture (nudity, blood and gore).

I find it great for facts about television and video games, other then that it's all disgusting garbage and shouldn't be read.

• He was my homework bro for the entirety of my high-schooler phase. Good times really, now I'm not really hanging around with him anymore. Dunno, duncare.

• It's a good way to gather sources and information, if the article happens to cite sources well enough.

• it has it's place.... wouldnt exactly consider it set in stone though.

• I'd say wikipedia is accurate 9 times out of 10. On the whole most information on the internet is inaccurate or completely fabricated, I would trust wiki over the majority of sites.

• I have an online subscription to Encyclopedia Brittanica which is also nice.

• I NEVER use it for academic things, since some professors WILL fail you if they even THINK you've used wikipedia, however; I use it constantly to look up info about movies, books, games, etc... It's great for a person like me who not only wants to read a book, play a game or watch a movie, but also wants to know everything about the book, movie, or game in question ^_^ I know it's not 100% accurate, but it's still got some great material there =D

• It is slightly less accurate than EB, but also slightly less racist. :D
    I use wikipedia. I also edit it, particularly the maths articles.
    I also occasionally enter deliberate falsehoods onto topical articles for big days, in the joyful knowledge that someone, somewhere, will have likely followed my fabricated "tradition".

• @doodinthemood said: It is slightly less accurate than EB, but also slightly less racist. :D
    I use wikipedia. I also edit it, particularly the maths articles.
    I also occasionally enter deliberate falsehoods onto topical articles for big days, in the joyful knowledge that someone, somewhere, will have likely followed my fabricated "tradition".

Thank you for posting this. It'll be good for my students to read.

Add Comment