User Avatar Image

Idiosyncratic Routine

posted by Davies on - last edited - Viewed by 591 users

Do you find yourself acting out personal and wholly unnecessary rituals when playing certain games? If so, then please share your individual OCD lunacy below. I'll get the proverbial ball rolling...

Marble Madness: I always attempt to get the ball to land on the "O" of "GOAL" at the end of each stage, so that the ball essentially becomes the letter "O".

Gitaroo Man: Upon completion of each stage the camera zooms in and settles on Gitaroo Man's guitar; at which point I spin the analogue stick so that the on screen radar creates a circle within the circular central area of the guitar. Also, during those moments of a song when the are no on screen prompts, I rhythmically tap the X button which in turn causes the cenral dot (which the radar emits from) to flash in sync with the music.

52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I cannot play Pokemon Sapphire without catching a Ralts before Wally.

• At the end of super smash bros levels I hurl my character off the side, so I can commit suicide just after the time runs out, and it doesn't count.

• If it breaks, BREAK IT. Leave no glass, box, chair, or TV unexploded! I've gotten better about it, but I still get that urge.

Fired a single shot? Toss the whole clip and reload anyway! If the overall ammo count ends in certain numbers, shoot at something until said numbers have changed. (that's my actual OCD peeking through)

• @ShaggE said: If it breaks, BREAK IT. Leave no glass, box, chair, or TV unexploded! I've gotten better about it, but I still get that urge.

*loads up zelda* right, time to smash some goddamn pots.

• I have a lot of OCD-related routines when it comes to games (or as I like to refer to it, I have GoCD. Geddit?).

Aside from Achievements/Trophies, the most frustrating is having to get every single god-damn collectable. In every single game.

Why yes, I do hate RPGs.

I also have a thing about playing games in order, so for example, I can't just play Final Fantasy VII. I need to go through FFs I-VI first. I very rarely get to play games I want to if they have multiple sequels.

And not quite in games, but still to do with them - the boxes have to have a matching cover. More specifically, I have to make new covers that have spines of the exact same design. You may have seen my work in the DVD Covers thread a while back, but I literally have to do that for every single game I have that fits in a DVD case or it bugs the heck out of me.

• If I have AI team mates in a game, then I must have them all alive at the end of the mission/level. If they die then I reload. I really don't know why as it never has any effect on the storyline. For multiplayer games it doesn't matter to me as I know they will respawn again.

• Whenever playing solitaire I order the suit piles from left to right: hearts, spades, diamonds, clubs.

• Whenever playing Diablo II, I always have to smash every pot, pick up every bit of gold, and map out every area. It drives Comrade Mortis nuts when I play with her.

• I almost always collect all health/magic/money/ammo/whatever dropped in a game (Zelda especially), whether I'm at capacity or not. If I don't, it almost feels wasteful.

@Sausy Gibbon said: Whenever playing solitaire I order the suit piles from left to right: spades, clubs, diamonds, hearts.

fix'd

• In Smash I taunt after a kill. In Marvel VS Capcom 3 shouting "BIONIC....AAAAAAAARM!" when someone uses it is mandatory and if you don't do it you should start, also imitating Magneto during his Gravity Squeeze. Also, in pretty much anything where you can win by ring out I HAVE to toss myself after my opponent when I do it, be it Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter or whatever it has to be done.

[quote]If it breaks, BREAK IT. Leave no glass, box, chair, or TV unexploded! I've gotten better about it, but I still get that urge. [/quote]

Oh man, so much this.

Add Comment