User Avatar Image

Possible BTTF Season 2 ideas/speculation/suggestion

posted by itssas83 on - last edited - Viewed by 24.4K users

ok first things first, I have made this page in hopes of gathering some reasonable suggestions to making the possible BttF: Season Two more enjoyable, not so everyone can post whats been said a million times about the puzzle difficulty, so here goes...

Make Puzzles more Complex/Fun/Creative/Etc.. (its said, moving on...)

One thing I been thinking about a lot these past few days is Jurassic Park, and how it will be the first game that Telltale will give you the option, or misfortune, of dying. I was thinking that we can incorporate a similar concept into the BttF series, which i would like to call "Caught Scenes". In the next paragraph I take 2 examples of this concept and explore possible scenarios from season one.

1931, when you and Doc are getting ready to jump into the Delorean, Officer Parker walks up and tries to put an end to the fun. Well what if you failed to get the keys and jump in the Delorean in time, and Parker catches you. Would he shoot/arrest you and Carl Sagan, altering the future forever?

When you are back in 1931 hiding behind the tree, what would happen if you failed to lure your alt self away from that tree? "Caught Scene" begins of you coming face to face with your alternative self, breaking rule #1 of time travel, causing irreparable damage to the time space continuum?!?!

personally i have found that if your not allowed to generally suffer some type of consequences for your actions, and puzzles essentially play on a harmless loop, the game just becomes repetitive and kinda boring. As a BttF fan, i think this would also be an exciting and safe way to explore the consequences of time travel and paradoxes etc. without having to have it play into the actual storyline. this alone could lead to some really exciting ideas.

as we know from the "its a wrap" video, telltale listens to us at the forums and values our opinions. this is a great chance to give our two cents, for whatever it might be worth! even if they use just use one or two suggestions everything can make a difference!

607 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Soeroah said: Like in Monkey Island 4, where destroying the space/time continuum just dumps you at the start of the maze before you created a paradox?

kind of yeah, just start at the beginning of the puzzle or close by, it also sucks when u die/fail and gotta trek back through 45 minutes of a game, but the monkey island reference works good with what im talking about.

Being a BttF fan, i've always been interested in what would happen if Marty failed his missions, if the pictures went completely empty, paradoxes and such. it would be cool if we could get little "what if" kinda failure cut scenes before we retry each puzzle. (Example: Cut Scene: MArty sees real Marty hiding behind tree, real Marty yells ohh crap!! then poof!! no martys left at all) "ohh so thats what would happen.." hahaha

very vague but you get the idea i hope :P

• What I would most like to see is the ability to drive the DeLorean freely. I don't like that you have this awesome car, but you can only watch it being driven in a video. I would like to have some kind of control of the car.

• @kyleontheweb said: What I would most like to see is the ability to drive the DeLorean freely. I don't like that you have this awesome car, but you can only watch it being driven in a video. I would like to have some kind of control of the car.

I second this notion.

I also agree with the suggestion of the 'Caught Scenes' outlined in your initial post. It would really give a sense of urgency to the players and would improve the 'linear pattern' it's currently demonstrating. I've mentioned it before but one of my most vivid memories from my childhood is this screen:

DKC_gameover.png

Just like with DKC, I would like to see screens that show the consequences of your actions; screens that really make you realise how much you screwed up. The 'Caught Scenes' would be a great addition to Season 2.

• ^
    Maybe with that route they could even slip in a "but the future refused to change" reference.

• Game overs would be lovely indeed. BRING BACK SIERRA STYLE DEATHS! BRING BACK SIERRA STYLE DEATHS!

• I think the damage is essentially done. The game was not critically hailed or derided, it just existed. If they made a sequel, there's really no incentive to improve it, and in fact there are a great deal of DISINCENTIVES. From a marketplace realities standpoint, this series is essentially fucked with no hope to improve. They'll make what their target audience wants and expects, and that audience certainly doesn't include me.

• well just going a quick google, gamespot and ign search, all the reviews i found of the game are 7.5 plus, episode two coming in at 8.5 on ign, so theres tons of people stoked about this game. just because a few are disappointed doesn't mean everyone is.

I believe a sequel to this game, especially if they listen to a few friendly suggestions, could come out great. yeah theres always gonna be room for improvements, but i think they can pull it off

• another fix mentioned plenty of times before is how little you really used the inventory.
    it was lacking a lot compared to pretty much all the other recent telltale games. so heres a couple suggestions...

i would like to see you be able to combine things and puzzles that involve using multiple things in the inventory, but bttf doesnt even give us that option. just simple things like "put the gum on the stick" tasks can spice up a puzzle. (vague example, i think the game that popped into my head was beavis and butthead virtual stupidity... great, stupid adventure game :-) )

and also, i'd like to be able to pick up some things that dont necessarily effect the storyline, but would add some nice dialogue. the one example i have for that would be at doc estate sale, you see his "mind reading" helmet device. i'd like to be able to have that in the inventory to be able to use on random characters and see what they are thinking, like biff would be one thats bound to have some funny/evil random thoughts. (although i guess stabbing random people in the face with that plunger might not go over too well with most people... :-P )

• The problem is that Telltale is too afraid to make actual changes in the BTTF universe. For example, there are no main character deaths, important character developments, important revelations about the past or any such things. You can be damn sure that everything will be back to the same way it was before when this season is over.
    So what's the point? Make a season 2 that's exactly the same, I mean do you really want that? There is fan fiction out there that is much much better and is brilliantly written.

Firstly I didn't see the point of setting the game in the 1980's, right after the events of BTTF 3. That may have made sense 20 years ago, but now? Give me a break.
    It just seemed to me that TTG caved in to the fan demands of featuring teenage Marty and the Delorean even though it probably wasn't the best decision from a creative standpoint.

Marty is pretty much a developed character, and there is not much to work with there. The Delorean was destroyed, that particular vehicle's story is over. Sure, Doc can rebuild it, like he did in the Kristen Sheley fanfic. Later on the Delorean also got permanently destroyed and it was replaced with another model from the 2030s.
    But coming up with a retarded justification that the car was duplicated when it was hit by lightning just to keep the damn car is insulting.

I don't even see why the game had to have Marty as a playable character at all; they could have used Jules and Verne as the main antagonists, who have grown up with time travel and for whom there are excellent opportunities for development.
    Or the story could (should even) have branched out from our present time, and involved puzzles across time periods. Not just alternating between 1986 and 1931.

So unless TTG actually wants to touch on the BTTF universe and make changes they shouldn't even think about a second season.
    But if they can make a good story that interacts with the BTTF world and involves time travel as a more central theme, then I'm interested.

• @itssas83 said: well just going a quick google, gamespot and ign search, all the reviews i found of the game are 7.5 plus, episode two coming in at 8.5 on ign, so theres tons of people stoked about this game. just because a few are disappointed doesn't mean everyone is.

That's part of the problem. Why should they improve it if it has been positively reviewed? Reviewers asleep at the wheel and simply phoning in their numbers are part of what makes a Back to the Future game from Telltale that isn't a complete failure in all but a purely monetary level something that is damn near impossible.

@itssas83 said: The problem is that Telltale is too afraid to make actual changes in the BTTF universe. For example, there are no main character deaths, important character developments, important revelations about the past or any such things. You can be damn sure that everything will be back to the same way it was before when this season is over.

I agree with your basic idea, but not the conclusions you come to. For example, I think the Telltale game's story skeleton could have actually been made into something that actually has worth, and that wasted potential is one of the game's biggest issues.

Look at the first film. We have limited time travel, where the time travel exists mainly as a facilitator of the story about a kid getting to know his parents. Here, we had a chance to really explore another relationship, the friendship between Marty and Doc. The first episode actually sets this up very well, and made me think the story could actually be good. Consider a version of events in which it WAS Marty that caused Doc Brown to go down the wrong path the whole way through. Consider him having to deal with essentially ruining his best friend's life. The alternate Doc could have been used to really explore the character, as could the younger version. It's only the poor story execution that leaves the concept seeming lacking in worth, but the plot actually had potential at one point, and I disagree that this aspect was doomed from the early conceptual phases.

@itssas83 said: But coming up with a retarded justification that the car was duplicated when it was hit by lightning just to keep the damn car is insulting.

It's actually worse than that. Looking in the game files, you can actually find a handful of recorded DeLorean explanations. So not only did they come up with a stupid means to bring the car back, but it was literally shoehorned in as "We're bringing back the DeLorean, let's come up with an explanation" without it having anything to do with organically growing from the story. Essentially, the very worst aspect of sequel writing is applied here, "Let's do that thing again, who the fuck cares if it makes sense or does anything for the story, fans will like it".

Add Comment