User Avatar Image

Original Marty? *Spoiler Alert*

posted by WareKurt on - last edited - Viewed by 833 users

First of all, I enjoyed the game, I understand some fans prefer harder puzzles but having it easy so that every fan can play is acceptable reason for me. Having said this, on to real question now, sorry if this had been mentioned before.

As far as I know in BTTF universe, first, a time travel has to happen and then the changes take effect. For example in the 1st movie there's "Twin Pines Mall", Marty goes back, runs over one of the pines, and then mall becomes "Lone Pine Mall".

Now in the game I though it was the original Marty. But in the end 3 future Martys come to 1986. Isn't this an indication of we haven't been playing with original Marty? Because someone from the future travels to past.

I know in the first Movie Doc's future self comes back after he had visited future but in Marty's point of view, it doesn't make any difference, he is still the original Marty. But now, 3 future Martys coming back indicate that he is not the original in my opinion. What do you think?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personnaly I think a new self is created after every action we made, because of our decisions. So it's normal that there's more than one Marty. It's my point of view.:D

• Well this is like Original Marty from the movies experiences the events in this game, then Doc and him have many more adventures over the years (which we don't get to see yet), Marty gets old, Doc probably dies so Marty is now the only time traveller, but he messes something up real bad at the age of 40ish, he needs help but no more Doc around, so he decides to go back and grab one from the past.

He says "bring him along" referring to his younger self, having this "who cares, he will be corrected since i am the original Marty" attitude.

It's like we have been playing with the 2nd Marty from the first Movie who has known the Mall as Lone Pine Mall for his entire life...

(I dunno, the ending is cool in a way but I didn't like it.)

• doc did say in episode 1 the delorean had more bells and whistles, maybe it can now jump between time LINES.

I hope we get a resolution.

• There is no such thing as two differnt time lines existing at the same time. There is only one time line. It can be changed, but there is only one.

And if it could jump between time lines, than that compeltly negates the point of this entire season, since they just could have jumped back to thier own time.

• isnt it obvius?
    marty's future isnt set yet.

the next game will have 3 endings depending how you did in the game

good, decent, and terrible evil.

Doc clearly says that when marty ask doc " whats going on?"

• I am not asking which of the 3 future Martys is the original one.

Explaining is hard when it comes to time travel since we don't know how it really works (or even possible like this) but what I am saying is the teen Marty we have been controlling for these 5 episodes may not be the Marty we have known from the movies.

In BTTF universe the one who makes the first trip is called the "Original" right? And no trip is made "before" him in our point of view. So if your future self comes to you, this means you are not the original one who made that very first trip. Because when time comes, you are supposed to follow his steps unless interrupted somehow.

Though it might indicate the next game having 3 different endings...but i dunno, BTTF is already filled with "alternates", having different endings is not suited for this kind of story in my opinion. It will lead to even more alternates...

• Ah, but maybe each of the first 3 episodes of the next season will end up with Marty traveling back to 1986, until we create exactly the scenario we have seen at the end of this episode.

Besides, what kind of cliffhanger would this be, if we already knew what was going on?

• @Krohn said:
    Besides, what kind of cliffhanger would this be, if we already knew what was going on?

^^^This.

• Besides, what kind of cliffhanger would this be, if we already knew what was going on?

I am not English and I don't understand what you guys mean by this question. We don't talk about cliffhangers here in anyway?

Ah, but maybe each of the first 3 episodes of the next season will end up with Marty traveling back to 1986, until we create exactly the scenario we have seen at the end of this episode.

Anything is possible but my point is that we haven't been playing with original Marty. Because normally original person is the one who does the first travel. This time future Martys traveled back to the Marty which seemed to be the original at first.

Think about it, its always the original(older) one who can see the younger self, or can show himself to. Here, older ones come show theirselves to the younger one.

Or, original one doesn't get to see his future self unless he travels to the future. This time, the guy who seemed to be the original one met his future(older) selves without travelling to the future.

• Well, actually, I'm not sure what you mean by 'Original Marty' here...of course Marty is, well, Marty...the one and only we've been following in all the films and throughout the game...the three future Marty's we see in the end are all from various possible futures? 'Our' Marty is the past self of ALL three of the future Marty's because there's a chance that he could become ANY of them, or maybe NONE of them...

That's what Doc's reply to Marty means...Marty asks him "Who's the real me?" and Doc replies "Isn't it obvious?" I felt this means one of 2 things-either Doc meant to say that ALL of them are the 'real' Marty since they're ALL valid possible futures for him...or he meant to say that NONE of them are the 'real' Marty and the only 'real' Marty is the 1986 present-day Marty, because his past and his present are set in stone, but his future isn't written, and until he makes his own future through the natural course of time, all the other future Marty's represent only POSSIBLE futures...

Add Comment