User Avatar Image

The paradox of the future selves from BTTF2 kinda solved by the game ending...

posted by sn939 on - last edited - Viewed by 297 users

How could 2015 Marty and Jennifer exist while their past selves had skipped forward the 30 years from 1985 to the future is a debate that has raged for decades amongst the BTTF fanbase, but I think the Game may have kinda solved it?

The game establishes, quiet literally, that there are infinite futures...with multiple future Marty's showing up...

So if there are several possible futures...I think its safe to say that in BTTF2, Marty and Jennifer somehow made it to one where they never took the trip to the future...or one which somehow took into account their return to the past...

If the former case, it still doesn't explain Old Biff remembering the Delorean...

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • ehh, i just took it as an hommage to the ending of the first BTTF movie. I just think they overdid it with the multiple martys

• The game establishes, quiet literally, that there are infinite futures...

Well I think up until now fans believed that BTTF universe didn't support "multiple/parallel universes" idea. I said this before but TTG might be shifting to that, which I hope not. Because then TP Marty would be known as a lost guy and TP Doc would be a dead man.

• @WareKurt said: Well I think up until now fans believed that BTTF universe didn't support "multiple/parallel universes" idea. I said this before but TTG might be shifting to that, which I hope not. Because then TP Marty would be known as a lost guy and TP Doc would be a dead man.

Actually, Doc does a diagram of the parallel universe they are in in BTTF2 in Biff Horrific timeline.

• Actually, Doc does a diagram of the parallel universe they are in in BTTF2 in Biff Horrific timeline.

Yeah but I believe the older line is supposed to be erased.

• There's no alternate timeline.

Only one a time.

When future Marty A came back he did something that created future Marty B. Future Marty A could NEVER go back to his future. That's why future Marty C says "shut up already, when I'll go back you'll be erased !" .

They just don't disappear right away because of time ripple effect.

Marty C is the "last" future version of them three. But "our" Marty will erase all of them since he already is a changed Marty. (none of those Martys witnessed 3 Martys from the future at the same time)

• The future is a future of what is going to happen the moment after they leave. Unless something happens that permanently traps them in the future they will come back and so it would be a future with them there.

Also there can't be more universes created by time travel or the fading out would never take place.

• The future is a future of what is going to happen the moment after they leave. Unless something happens that permanently traps them in the future they will come back and so it would be a future with them there.

Also there can't be more universes created by time travel or the fading out would never take place.

They go back AFTER fixing the future, in a future timeline that considers will get back ? But then why didn't the timeline assume they already fixed whatever they tried to fix ?

Also, what happens in the year 2015 now ? Is there a new Marty and Doc coming from 85 ? Cauz Marty and Doc never left, they always went to "2015" in 85, right ? Thus in the true future of the year 1985, they should still pop up ...

• Also there can't be more universes created by time travel or the fading out would never take place.

Well this alone is not a proof because they could be fading out to another alternate universe.

• User Avatar Image
    Flo

@WareKurt said: Well this alone is not a proof because they could be fading out to another alternate universe.

You could say that Marty and Doc "faded" from one universe to another in episode 5, depending on your point of view. It was only to them that it appeared as though the world was changing around them.

• @Flo said: You could say that Marty and Doc "faded" from one universe to another in episode 5, depending on your point of view. It was only to them that it appeared as though the world was changing around them.

But that's the point...the world changing around them is because there are no parallel universes...only one timeline that changes.

Everything in the BTTF trilogy goes vehemently against the idea of parallel or divergent timelines.

Take Marty's fading out for instance, or even the fading photographs/changing newspapers. In the parallel dimensions theory, TP Marty would travel back in time, thereby creating a new universe, the LP universe. Now, even if he prevented his parents first meeting in the LP universe, he only prevents the existence of his LP counterpart. There is no way anything he does in the past of the LP universe will affect his history in the TP universe from which he originates.

But that is not so. In the movie, it is Marty's OWN existence which is jeopardised...the photograph changes to reflect the new (potential) timeline...in the parallel dimensions theory, the photograph will remain unchanged, as a relic from another dimension.

Another very strong instance where its clear the parallel dimensions theory ISN'T at play in BTTF, is when Biff creates the 'A' timeline. Under the parallel dimensions theory, LP Old Biff would go back in time, thereby creating a new universe, the 'A' universe. He would then return to the 2015 of the new universe, but wouldn't fade away, regardless of the fate of his 'A' universe counterpart. Meanwhile, Marty, Doc and Jennifer would be stuck in LP 2015 with no time machine. So the only reason why Doc returns to a 2015 where Marty, Doc and Jennifer were present is because the timeline transformed around the latter three. They can't be erased from existence, since they're protected from the ripple effect, and they can't be shifted to another dimensions, cuz there aren't any, so they are simply grafted onto the new timeline which has replaced the previous one.

Now, it is clear that while there can only be one 'active' timeline, time traveller's and objects from other timelines can still exist within a new timeline, or have their impact on a new timeline. Consider November 12th 1955-there were four instances of the Delorean, and each of them had arrived from a different timeline-Delorean A from Twin Pines 1985, Delorean B from Lone Pine 2015, Delorean C from 1985-A, and Delorean D which had been lying buried in the Delgado Mine since Shonash 1885. Likewise, in latter part of BTTF2, in 1955, though the current 'future' is 1985-A, we still see Lone Pine Old Biff and Twin Pines Marty, though the timelines both of them originate from are rendered non-existant. We have two Marty's present, and while they are pretty much identical, they have both arrived in 1955 from different timelines.

So multiple future Marty's doesn't mean multiple timeline co-exist...

Add Comment