Menu
User Avatar Image

Puzzle agent 2 PC (steam) not working

posted by welshwuff on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

Hihi, ok so ive tried so many tricks to try getting this to work, reinstall, updating graphics/sound drivers, registry yada yada... and just... nothing works.

Ok so what happens is the game loads up, i get the first two screens (Telltale and Graham Hannable credits) and... crashes, it says "grickle102.exe" is not responding and just closes. Now i've also tryed Puzzle agent 1 and the same thing happens even though i could play it fine before back when 1 was released, i get "grickle101.exe" is not responding.

Is anyone else having problems with the PC version? im running it on Steam on windows 7 64bit with a GTX 480 Nvidia card.

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

    @Kleetus said:
    Another thing also is to never install your games to Program Files or Program Files (86).

    Use another path, like C:\Games.

    Just curious, is this because of admin rights?

  • @puzzlebox said: Just curious, is this because of admin rights?

    Yes, it causes heaps of problems with permissions and access, even with an Admin account.

    Program Files, Program Files (86) and Windows folders are all protected.

    It wasn't such an issue with XP, but with Vista and Windows 7 UAC is far more agressive.

  • @Kleetus said: When compatiblity mode works, when a game otherwise shouldn't need it, it normally means you don't have all the correct redistributables installed, ie Visual C++ and DX.

    Another thing also is to never install your games to Program Files or Program Files (86).

    Use another path, like C:\Games.

    Or if you are really crazy (like me) install your games to another hard drive ;-)

  • I just woke up and now it's not working again. Literally no settings have changed sind then so I personally don't understand.

  • I am having the same problem. I am trying to play on my laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GT 420M graphics card, and I just updated all of my drivers. I load up the game, get the first part of the TTG symbol, here the first little chime of the music, and then it crashes giving me the grickle.102 error.

  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

    @Caralad said: I just woke up and now it's not working again. Literally no settings have changed sind then so I personally don't understand.

    Do you have any other programs running in the background this time?

    @Caralad said: I am having the same problem. I am trying to play on my laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GT 420M graphics card, and I just updated all of my drivers. I load up the game, get the first part of the TTG symbol, here the first little chime of the music, and then it crashes giving me the grickle.102 error.

    Any chance it's trying to load up with graphics settings greater than your machine can handle?

    It might be worth trying this... Here's a low-spec prefs.prop file that will start the game in 800x600, windowed. Search for prefs.prop on your install drive and replace the file with this one, unzipped (make sure you get the Puzzle Agent 2 folder if you have multiple Telltale games installed). Wouldn't hurt to make a backup of your existing one.

  • @puzzlebox said:
    Any chance it's trying to load up with graphics settings greater than your machine can handle?

    It might be worth trying this... Here's a low-spec prefs.prop file that will start the game in 800x600, windowed. Search for prefs.prop on your install drive and replace the file with this one, unzipped (make sure you get the Puzzle Agent 2 folder if you have multiple Telltale games installed). Wouldn't hurt to make a backup of your existing one.


    I tried this, but the same thing sort of happened. The only difference is that the screen loaded faster (expected though with the low specs).

  • Can you guys check Event Viewer and post what the exact crash details are?

  • @Kleetus said: Can you guys check Event Viewer and post what the exact crash details are?

    I have the Event Viewer saved... how do I post them on this forum?

  • Just post the details for the game crash, not the entire Event Viewer log.

    It should only be a few lines telling you what file crashed and error code etc.

Add Comment