User Avatar Image

Bring Mark Seibert on board please!!

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Mark Seibert's music is, IMO, a key part to the magic of the Sierra games, especially the KQ games. His simple but beautiful melodies helped define the atmosphere of King's Quests V-VIII, and he's at the height of his talents in King's Quest V and King's Quest VI--arguably two of the most well received games in the series.

I believe a KQ game without Mark Seibert on board would be like a Star Wars film without John Williams, or a Sergio Leone film without Morricone--It just wouldn't be right. There's a beautiful simplicity to Mark's music in the KQ games that really just belies the magic of the series--A beautiful, sweet simplicity.

His songs aren't ten minute epics, but little, atmospheric melodies, and even though they're simple, they lift simple VGA scenes (in V-VII) to emotional heights. I think even some of KQ8's staunchest opponents would be hard pressed to argue that Mark's music in KQ8 wasn't a highlight of that controversial game.

So, please--I know some Telltale people read this--Could you resist the easy path and the temptation to use your own people, and consider giving Mark Seibert a call?

If not Mark Seibert, than at least get any of these guys:

Ken Allen
Chris Brayman
Dan Kehler
Richard Spurgeon
Neil Grandstaff
Jay D. Usher

All of the men listed above helped craft the music of King's Quest V, VI and VII and are just as important to the atmosphere of those games as Mark was. So if Mark isn't available, at least offer the gig to one of those guys.

I think that the addition of Mark or any of those guys to the team would not only would it make TellTale's KQ feel more like the originals, but it would also help recreate that unique King's Quest atmosphere, and most importantly, it would make a lot of KQ fans--even the skeptical ones, I would imagine--happy.

So please consider this.

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I can't stand Neil Grandstaff's or Dan Kheller's work in KQ7. As far as I'm concerned either Mark Seibert or Ken Allen are the best choice. Chris Brayman did a great job with KQ6 as well. Ken Allen did both KQ5 and KQ1, so he might be great for a new chapter.

However, I'm almost convinced that Jarred can do just as good a job to grasp the style.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I can't stand Neil Grandstaff's or Dan Kheller's work in KQ7. As far as I'm concerned either Mark Seibert or Ken Allen are the best choice. Chris Brayman did a great job with KQ6 as well. Ken Allen did both KQ5 and KQ1, so he might be great for a new chapter.

However, I'm almost convinced that Jarred can do just as good a job to grasp the style.

I hope you're right, because IMO the music was just as important to the atmosphere of the games as anything else. The music really helped turn a bunch of (beautifully done) VGA scenes into cinematic moments.

I personally think Jarred should listen to the KQ5 soundtrack--that soundtrack for me is the best KQ soundtrack and captures the heart of King's Quest, musically speaking.

I don't want like overdone, epic, vocal songs or bland Kingdom Hearts sort of music (looks over at TSL).

• The best resource for referencing KQ's musical tone is to check out Quest Studios' digital soundtracks.

• I haven't had the time recently to post much around here, but I feel so strongly about this topic that I just had to log in.

I whole-heartedly agree with the idea of getting Mark Seibert involved (I actually created a topic about this way back in February: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23032).

If Mark is not available, my second choices would be Ken Allen or Chris Brayman (for reasons that have already been mentioned). :)

• Also, I agree with Brandon that King's Quest VII's score was the weakest in the series. If Jared Emerson-Johnson has been put on the new KQ project, he should definitely refer to Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder and Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow for inspiration.

• Here's another +1 for Mark Seibert. His music stands (IMO) as the best in the Sierra line: KQ5, as previously mentioned, as well as Codename: Iceman, SQ4, QFG1, PQ2, and the outstanding Conquests games. I also loved Chris Brayman's score of KQ6... in fact, it may be even better than Seibert's score of the fifth game.

If you get a chance, head over to Mark Seibert's last.fm page and vote DOWN the slick-haired German guy and vote for the nerdy guy in the litte picture on the left. Click on the pictures to cast your votes! :o)

http://www.last.fm/music/Mark+Seibert

• Mark Seibert didn't score SQ4. Ken Allen did. The credit in the game was mislabelled. Also, Aubrey Hodges did the majority of scoring for Longbow.

• They really got it wrong in the credit sequence? Hmm...

• http://www.markseibert.com/credits.htm

He was the Music Director on SQ4. Not the composer. That's not to say he didn't do any compositions in the game, he might have. But Ken Allen did most of the material as far as we know?

But ya directors and composers are two very different things.

The complete Music and Sound Effects credits are;

Ken Allen, Rob Atesalp, Mark Seibert, Rick Spurgeon, Orpheus Hanley, Aubrey Hodges and Veronica Oldfield

• Ken Allen wrote the soundtrack. Mark Seibert did nothing more than probably arrange and edit some MIDI pieces and maybe write transitions and sound effects or something. As I understand it, it wasn't that they got it wrong, but that Mark intentionally credited himself that way....or somebody did. I'm hearing this all third-hand, though. But what's for sure is the soundtrack as a whole is due to Ken Allen. Which makes sense because it doesn't really sound like Seibert's style anyway. It sounds more like SQ1VGA, which correctly credited Ken Allen as sole composer.

Add Comment