User Avatar Image

dead-ends in king's quest

posted by shaygol on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

The thing I remember most about sierra games are the dead ends.

This usually happens when you got to a certain place in the game and you can't move on no matter what you do. Then, when you look at a walkthrough you see you forgot to pick up a certain item and you need to restore or restart to get to that point in the game.

This is something both lucasarts and telltale (till now) avoided.

But if they're remaking king's quest what will happen?

I prefer it if they will continue to avoid those dead ends. I didn't like them - they seemed so unfair, it was the main reason i preferred lucasarts games to sierra.

85 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't think there is any way Tell Tale will allow dead ends. I would love it if they did. It was another way the gamer could be punished for making a mistake. I like the idea that I can screw things up, that I am in fact in control. But, today's game players don't want to be challenged, and they are too impatient to go back and do anything over. It's really unfortunate, but it's reality. I would love to have an option to allow dead ends, but really there is no chance.

• Same, dead ends were a great way of making the game challenging, I'd love for Telltale to put dead ends in the game, but I doubt they will.
    One thing is viable though is something similar to KQ 1 and 3, where there are alternate ways to solve puzzles if you forgot something.
    Of course it wouldn't be a good game if you couldn't get stuck at the end of the game because you didn't make the 2 spells that you only use at the end. You can't undertake a quest unprepared without consequences and you should be punished for not stocking up on supplies.

• The Cat and Rat thing in one of the games was just plain cruel. Although to be honest Adventure games with dead ends and deaths do make the game longer and more satisfying to beat

• @mirroman478 said: The Cat and Rat thing in one of the games was just plain cruel. Although to be honest Adventure games with dead ends and deaths do make the game longer and more satisfying to beat

It may have been cruel, but it is obvious that you made a mistake by not saving the mouse. If you keep playing, thats your fault.

• There are dead ends when you have no chance on finding out you're in a dead end unless you spent hours and hours on walking everywhere, talking to everyone and using any item on everything.

The dead-ends should be dealt with carefully,so that if you got to one you really deserved it...

• @shaygol said: There are dead ends when you have no chance on finding out you're in a dead end unless you spent hours and hours on walking everywhere, talking to everyone and using any item on everything.

The dead-ends should be dealt with carefully,so that if you got to one you really deserved it...

While back in the day games occasionally had inadvertent dead-ends (ie. bugs), most of the ones people complain about are those that were deserved when they happened.

I think it's all a moot point anyway -- it's exceedingly unlikely that Telltale will include dead-ends.

• @thom-22 said: it's exceedingly unlikely that Telltale will include dead-ends.

Why? They already did it on last BTTF episode.

• @Javi-Wan Kenobi said: Why? They already did it on last BTTF episode.

A dead-end in one episode... out of all the episodes of all the games they've made... I don't think a single counter-example would necessarily change my reasoning. But I didn't play BTTF except the free episode. Could you describe this dead-end?

• You use an object at a point of the game. After using it, you can try and use it the same way, in case you get some new information. So you no longer have the item on your inventory. If you forget to pick again that object and keep advancing on the game, eventually you need that item again and you can't go back and recover it.

• But was that a bug, ie. inadvertent, or did they mean to make that part of the gameplay? We're talking about intentional dead-ends here, not ones that happen due to mistakes in programming or other oversights. There have been a few unintentional dead-ends in Telltale games caused by bugs with inventory items disappearing; I know there's one in Hector, for instance.

Add Comment