User Avatar Image

marine reptiles?

posted by SWGNATE on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

it was mentioned in a thread that i had just yesterday input on, a few folks had suggested that aquatic dinosaurs (reptiles or whatever you subscribe to) would be making an appearance in JP:TG, is there any proof of this? and if so, what animal do you think it would be? they really come in three categories : long necked plesiasaurs and short necked (pliosaurs) and then at the late cretaceous mark : mosasaurs

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Here's a close quote from JP-Legacy:When they said "aquatic reptiles" I think what they meant was "dinosaurs that live near rivers and eat fish" (like Baryonyx, which is on the movie's embryo list).

    Prehistoric sea creatures would make no sense at all in the JP universe, because mosquitoes wouldn't be living in the middle of the ocean.
    Even if there was any chance of mosquitoes having marine reptile DNA, there would still be no sense in trying to put marine reptiles in the park.

    Although the park was poorly designed, InGen clearly still thought they had things under control if anything went wrong. Therefore, InGen should be smart enough to realize that bringing back marine reptiles would be completely insane.

    There's a big difference between a land dinosaur escaping the park and a marine reptile escaping. If a land dinosaur managed to swim to the mainland (which I don't think any land dinosaur could do) or if it stowed away on a boat, at least InGen would know where to look for it. The dinosaur would have to end up somewhere in Costa Rica, or one of the few bordering countries.

    So if a land dinosaur escaped, InGen assumed they'd have it under control.

    Marine animals, on the other hand, LIVE in water. They never sleep, and they can travel through the ocean effortlessly. If a marine reptile escaped into the ocean, they could go anywhere.
    InGen should be smart enough to realize the risk of bringing back marine reptiles is just too high.

  • However, mosquitoes WOULD be living on the beach where dinosaurs would get washed ashore and beached like modern day whales and sharks, leaving them to be fed on by predators including mosquitoes. So in that respect, aquatic dinosaurs could be found by means of amber.

  • Guys, respect TellTale and those who pre-ordered the game. If you aren't aware of this is probably because you shouldn't know about it yet. TellTale will probably release it to the public when they feel it's right.

  • @AndyCullen said: However, mosquitoes WOULD be living on the beach where dinosaurs would get washed ashore and beached like modern day whales and sharks, leaving them to be fed on by predators including mosquitoes. So in that respect, aquatic dinosaurs could be found by means of amber.

    The chance that they would find amber with mosquitios that held the DNA of a dinosaur is extremely low which makes the chances of finding a sea creature nearly impossible.

    I personally believe that the aquatic reptile will be Dienosuchus because they are already known to have been cloned by the InGen scientists because they are seen in The Lost World: Jurassic Park arcade game which makes it more realistic in the franchise than something like a plesiosaur.

  • @RexMaster said: The chance that they would find amber with mosquitios that held the DNA of a dinosaur is extremely low which makes the chances of finding a sea creature nearly impossible.

    I personally believe that the aquatic reptile will be Dienosuchus because they are already known to have been cloned by the InGen scientists because they are seen in The Lost World: Jurassic Park arcade game which makes it more realistic in the franchise than something like a plesiosaur.

    Yet that's what the whole Jurassic Park series was based on... dino DNA being gathered via amber, then cloning them from that. This game is based on movie canon, not exact science or spinoff game canon. They basically have free reign on anything that doesn't stray from the exact events and mentionings in the movies. Sure, no one brought up the existence of aquatic dinos in the series, but they also never denied it, nor did they ever release the complete list of cloned dinos. InGen had many secrets, and I'm sure a few will be elaborated on within this game.

    They released concept art at E3 showing the silhouette of an aquatic dino (so it's not exactly a secret solely given to people who pre-ordered.) From the image, Deinosuchus seems off. I'm fairly confident it's a Mosasaurus from the evidence in the photo, but I'm open to being wrong.

  • @AndyCullen said: Yet that's what the whole Jurassic Park series was based on... dino DNA being gathered via amber, then cloning them from that. This game is based on movie canon, not exact science or spinoff game canon. They basically have free reign on anything that doesn't stray from the exact events and mentionings in the movies. Sure, no one brought up the existence of aquatic dinos in the series, but they also never denied it, nor did they ever release the complete list of cloned dinos. InGen had many secrets, and I'm sure a few will be elaborated on within this game.

    They released concept art at E3 showing the silhouette of an aquatic dino (so it's not exactly a secret solely given to people who pre-ordered.) From the image, Deinosuchus seems off. I'm fairly confident it's a Mosasaurus from the evidence in the photo, but I'm open to being wrong.

    well the shape is in mistakeable 96% of the time but what kind? i mean (i hate to be the nerdy know it all but..) did it appear to be around say 12-15 feet in comparison to the characters? or was it downright massive? there were around 40 species of mosasaurs from the fossil records but some of the most famous (and the two tell tale are likley to use) are clidastes (famous for their skeletons being found with large shark remains inside) or tylosaurus 50 foot monster. i dont want to jump to conclusions but your post just got my hopes up =) any chance the concept art is floating somewhere??

  • It's in the pre-order forum, can't post it, you'll have to wait until they release it to the public. Telltale's request.

  • @AndyCullen said: It's in the pre-order forum, can't post it, you'll have to wait until they release it to the public. Telltale's request.

    i have pictures here of possible canidates from various internet sources, some have said it was a breed of mosasaur but here are some images of the big three groups of animals that lived in the seas of kansas, australia, the UK , all during the cretaceous era they should be listed as follows #1 tylosaurus progier (kansas resident) #2 Elasmosaurus (supposed UK resident) #3 Koronosaurus queenslandicus (australia) [ATTACH]2687[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]2688[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]2689[/ATTACH]

  • I can definitely tell you it's not an elasmosaurus. There's no long neck. The other two resemble the silhouette though. I'm betting it's kronosaurus or mosasaurus.

  • @Orange Intercouse said: Here's a close quote from JP-Legacy:
    Even if there was any chance of mosquitoes having marine reptile DNA, there would still be no sense in trying to put marine reptiles in the park.

    Although the park was poorly designed, InGen clearly still thought they had things under control if anything went wrong. Therefore, InGen should be smart enough to realize that bringing back marine reptiles would be completely insane.

    There's a big difference between a land dinosaur escaping the park and a marine reptile escaping. If a land dinosaur managed to swim to the mainland (which I don't think any land dinosaur could do) or if it stowed away on a boat, at least InGen would know where to look for it. The dinosaur would have to end up somewhere in Costa Rica, or one of the few bordering countries.

    So if a land dinosaur escaped, InGen assumed they'd have it under control.

    Marine animals, on the other hand, LIVE in water. They never sleep, and they can travel through the ocean effortlessly. If a marine reptile escaped into the ocean, they could go anywhere.
    InGen should be smart enough to realize the risk of bringing back marine reptiles is just too high.


    Guys let's not forget they already cloned some species of plants as well,of which DNA could not come from a mosquito.So they could justify cloning a marine reptile however they want;for example they find a specimen frozen inside a glacier or something like that.And they could say that InGen kept them in an enclosed gulf or salt water lake on the island.
    So from my point of view it's a nice change of pace if they bring marine reptiles into the story.

Add Comment