User Avatar Image

Adventure Game Playthroughs

posted by The-J23 on - last edited - Viewed by 146 users

I'm thinking of doing playthroughs of adventure games for Youtube. But, here's the problem: I don't know whether to do commentary-less playthroughs, or if I should wait to get a better mic(lots of background noise), or do playthoughs without commentary until I get my mic then replay them with commentary.

I'm leaning towards the third one, but I was wondering what everyone else thinks.

EDIT: I guess I could have just edited my first post.

I started doing non-commentary walkthroughs and my first game is Sam & Max Season 1. My channel can be found here if anyone is interested

11 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personally, when I watch a playthrough, I generally like them to be silent so that I can get a good sense of the game. That being said, some of my favorite playthroughs have had commentary, such as this one.

    So I guess what I'm saying is it could work either way, depending on your style. If you plan on making a show of it, cracking jokes while giving good advice, I'd say go for the talky one. Otherwise...silent.

  • @Alcoremortis said: Personally, when I watch a playthrough, I generally like them to be silent so that I can get a good sense of the game. That being said, some of my favorite playthroughs have had commentary, such as this one.

    So I guess what I'm saying is it could work either way, depending on your style. If you plan on making a show of it, cracking jokes while giving good advice, I'd say go for the talky one. Otherwise...silent.

    I personally like commentary because I get to hear peoples reactions to things. I normally don't watch playthroughs unless I've played the game myself.

    Honestly, with some of the games I have in mind, I don't think my jokes will beat the ones the game is making.

  • @The-J23 said: I personally like commentary because I get to hear peoples reactions to things. I normally don't watch playthroughs unless I've played the game myself.

    Honestly, with some of the games I have in mind, I don't think my jokes will beat the ones the game is making.

    Well, in that case, I would say that for games with lots of dialogue don't give a commentary unless it adds to the gameplay, but for games with little dialogue, talk all you want. And for goodness sake, don't start with a cheesy intro. There are some playthroughs I can't watch because they have this horrible cheesy introduction (Wonderboy and the Cave of Wonders...O Lord...).

  • @Alcoremortis said: Well, in that case, I would say that for games with lots of dialogue don't give a commentary unless it adds to the gameplay, but for games with little dialogue, talk all you want. And for goodness sake, don't start with a cheesy intro. There are some playthroughs I can't watch because they have this horrible cheesy introduction (Wonderboy and the Cave of Wonders...O Lord...).

    I'll start every video with this.

  • I usually don't like commentary, but I do generally like commentary on survival horror games... I remember rolling on the floor laughing from some of the fatal frame series commentary, it's just funny when grown men are screaming like babies, and meanwhile I managed to play through the game in the dark, with my back to the door, and said door being wide open...

  • @dumpling321 said: I usually don't like commentary, but I do generally like commentary on survival horror games... I remember rolling on the floor laughing from some of the fatal frame series commentary, it's just funny when grown men are screaming like babies, and meanwhile I managed to play through the game in the dark, with my back to the door, and said door being wide open...

    Oh there's this hilarious British guy who comments on horror games that I really enjoy watching. I mean, NOTHING scares this guy. A mutant zombie creature could burst through a ventilation shaft and he says, "Oh, hello there!" and blasts it in the face.

  • I'm currently in the middle of my own attempt at this. I made it through two games and haven't been able to set up a good day to do Indy 3.

    When I started, I intended to do voice commentary with it, but Livestream can't take audio input from both speaker output and the microphone at the same time under Windows XP, so I tried to run commentary with Skype. That didn't work, so I abandoned that and I've just been playing through with no voice commentary, but still talking to my audience using my Livestream channel's chat window.

  • Thanks.

    I started with non-commentary, though I may do commentary later. My first game is Sam & Max Season 1. I don't know what game I'll do next, but I'll figure that out when I have to. Maybe something a bit more classic.

  • I decided to speed-run through a few adventure games recently. I discovered that Full Throttle can be beaten in like 10 minutes (if that). I beat DOTT in about half an hour to 45 minutes. Interestingly, it takes a lot longer to beat a Sierra game than an LA game. There's just so much content. I'm sure I could beat Secret of Monkey Island in no time if it weren't for the insult sword-fighting section. LA did have some content-full ones, though. MI2 was fairly full. As was DOTT. Lots and lots of content to keep you entertained and puzzled for a good long while. It's a shame Full Throttle was so short. But most of that was the arcade sequences, which I just straight skipped.

    Anyway, derailing a bit...good luck with your channel. Playthroughs are nothing new, but it can be interesting sometimes to get someone else's opinion. Or even someone's fresh perspective if they hadn't played such games in a while.

  • @MusicallyInspired said: Anyway, derailing a bit...good luck with your channel. Playthroughs are nothing new, but it can be interesting sometimes to get someone else's opinion. Or even someone's fresh perspective if they hadn't played such games in a while.

    Thanks. But, that's why I want to do commentary, but my mic sucks and would most likely take away from the experience.

Add Comment