User Avatar Image

Old Games you played that nobody else did

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 714 users

What games did you enjoy as a kid... or played and didn't enjoy... that it seems nobody else has? We all remember Super Mario Bros. 3, but for people like me there were also games like...

Robo-Warrior.jpg
robo_warrior-141029-3.jpeg

I knew nobody else who talked about this game. In it, you played ZED, a robotic warrior sent to the planet Altile to destroy the Xantho Empire and its alien emperor, Xur.

Gameplay was topdown. You wandered through fields, blowing up areas (sort of like Bomberman except bombs cleared obstructions without huge, towering infernos and you got actual other weapons) and marching against a timer to get a key to escape the field.

Robo_Warrior_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Things got really crazy when you had to go underground. Fields were in total black, making it impossible to tell where you were talking. Obstructions went unseen and enemies wandered headlong at you without you having an ability to gauge their approach.

With epic 8 bit music and and NES era difficulty, it was enough to keep my 6 year old hands busy for hours.

Oh, the underground levels had DISTURBING music loops for a child.

Here's a playthrough of the first level...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJWTxywjKQ

104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You really like these "things you liked that nobody else did" threads (which inevitably turn into "things you thought nobody else liked but actually a bunch of people did" threads), don't you? But sure, I'll play. I'm going to interpret your loosely defined use of the term "old games" to mean "anything before the current console generation".

NES

Guerrilla War: My sister and I used to play this all the time when we were little. All references to Cuba were removed from the US version, so I didn't learn until very recently that Player 1 is supposed to be Che Guevara and Player 2 is Fidel Castro.

Genesis

Quackshot Starring Donald Duck: It's not so much that I don't think anybody else liked this game so much as I've never heard anybody else speak of it. It was pretty difficult, but I thought it was fun.

Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron: Again, I've never heard anybody else speak of this game, but I loved it. This is as close as I'll ever come to appreciating "90's culture".

Zombies Ate My Neighbors: An awesome parody of horror movies with an awesomely ridiculous arsenal.

N64

My N64 library isn't big enough to accommodate anything that isn't "mainstream".

GameCube

Star Fox Adventures: The only reason I can't say that nobody else liked this game is because it's one of the few things Fawful and I agree on. I've heard almost nothing but universal disdain for this title, and I absolutely loved it.

Super Mario Sunshine: For some reason I'll never understand, Super Mario Sunshine is the black sheep of the core Mario platformer series. I loved it. I thought that the platforming was great on its own, and I really enjoyed the use of the FLUDD machine. I certainly liked Sunshine a hell of a lot more than Super Mario 64.

• Loads of ppl I know never played Monkey Island or Sam and Max or any adventure game.

• @GuruGuru214 said: You really like these "things you liked that nobody else did" threads (which inevitably turn into "things you thought nobody else liked but actually a bunch of people did" threads), don't you? But sure, I'll play. I'm going to interpret your loosely defined use of the term "old games" to mean "anything before the current console generation".

NES

Guerrilla War: My sister and I used to play this all the time when we were little. All references to Cuba were removed from the US version, so I didn't learn until very recently that Player 1 is supposed to be Che Guevara and Player 2 is Fidel Castro.

Genesis

Quackshot Starring Donald Duck: It's not so much that I don't think anybody else liked this game so much as I've never heard anybody else speak of it. It was pretty difficult, but I thought it was fun.

Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron: Again, I've never heard anybody else speak of this game, but I loved it. This is as close as I'll ever come to appreciating "90's culture".

Zombies Ate My Neighbors: An awesome parody of horror movies with an awesomely ridiculous arsenal.

N64

My N64 library isn't big enough to accommodate anything that isn't "mainstream".

GameCube

Star Fox Adventures: The only reason I can't say that nobody else liked this game is because it's one of the few things Fawful and I agree on. I've heard almost nothing but universal disdain for this title, and I absolutely loved it.

Super Mario Sunshine: For some reason I'll never understand, Super Mario Sunshine is the black sheep of the core Mario platformer series. I loved it. I thought that the platforming was great on its own, and I really enjoyed the use of the FLUDD machine. I certainly liked Sunshine a hell of a lot more than Super Mario 64.

In my defense, the two shows I mentioned got supported by like... one other person on the board :) Oh and Star Fox Adventures was one of the best examples of the platform genre I ever played. I think the only reason most hated it was that it wasn't a real "Star Fox" game.

• Bucky O'Hare and Loopz for the NES. No one I knew even heard of them.

bucky-ohare-j.png163393-loopz-nes-screenshot-starting-pie

• You're the only other person I know of to mention Bucky O'Hare. Had a cartoon too.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Bucky also had a kick-ass arcade game. Just throwing that out there.

I also enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine, though I can understand why others don't. Removing the focus from pure platforming and adding that water cannon does change the feel of the game a great deal. It's still a good game though, you just have to learn to deal with it. The levels where you have to clean up crap can still sod off though.

Anyway. I'd like to introduce you all to Albion. An odd mix between a Zelda-style top-down adventure game, an early First-Person exploration game and a turn-based RPG. I don't know why but I really adore this game, and it's not even all that great. I just love the imagination behind it, the options you have, and the fact that, if you can be sneaky enough, you can find a gun early on and promptly pwn your enemies. Awesome.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa98QRfueBsmYbxil17CGalbion_screen004.jpg

• gUznv.jpg
    Is this an old game yet? I like this game.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Everybody likes that game. Disqualified!

• @Darth Marsden said: Everybody likes that game. Disqualified!

Everybody likes golf? I was not aware.

Add Comment