User Avatar Image

Can someone in California go to EA and slap them in the face for me?

posted by Zeek on - last edited - Viewed by 934 users

http://simsvip.com/?p=2937For those of you who do have Hidden Springs and have noticed a lack of animations and “glitters” from the Fountain of Youth (and spell book), need to know that there is an issue with Premium Content conflict.

We all know the Sims team will probably never fix this issue (what else is new) and more so because of their newest updated Simpoint/Digital Services Agreement you have to abide to.

[QUOTE]15. Disclaimer of Warranties. THE SIMS ONLINE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS. EA MAKES NO WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SIMS ONLINE SERVICES, THE SIMS 3 CONTENT OR SIMPOINTS. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, EA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON INFRINGEMENT.EA DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONALITY OR OPERATION OF THE SIMS ONLINE SERVICES, EA ACCOUNTS OR SUPPORTING SYSTEMS AND WEBSITES (COLLECTIVELY, “EA SERVICES”) WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR FREE FROM ERROR, THAT ANY DEFECTS IN THE EA SERVICES WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE EA SERVICES OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE THOSE EA SERVICES AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS.

EA is basically letting us know they never have to fix anything we purchase. Basically they can give you a flippin virus and it is not their problem.[/QUOTE]

Okay, WTF, EA? You just pretty much told your most profitable PC game you have under your ownership that you WON'T fix their DLC content if it conflicts with their existing game or even other DLC in your inventory. You've pretty much stated as well that your DLC may or may not be virus free.

Bottom line is that you're pretty much admitting to your Sims customers that you don't care about your product anymore. All you care about is their money.

I know this is a libabity clause designed to prevent the sue happy, but it's coming off as if you're saying that you don't care about your Sims 3 players as much as you care about their money.

And as someone who just got into The Sims franchise? That's off-putting enough to make me quit the franchise and not feel bad about it.

/rant

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That's EA for you. I'm still fuming at them for what they did for the PC retail of Alice the madness returns...not getting my copy of the original Alice.

• I know EA's motto is "Challenge Everything", but that might be going too far!

• @Icedhope said: That's EA for you.

No that's the USA for you. All they are doing is preventing the worst should there ever be a virus.

• That's pretty much a standard liability agreement...especially after what happened with Sony this year. Yes, I actually read user agreements and I see similar statements on everything. It doesn't say they wont fix anything. They patch their sports titles constantly when users find errors or cheats.

• EA DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONALITY OR OPERATION OF THE SIMS ONLINE SERVICES [...] WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED [...].

This is a lot more worrying to me. And they do this for years. Mainly to force players to get their newer games by shutting down multiplayerservers for their old ones.

• @der_ketzer said: This is a lot more worrying to me. And they do this for years. Mainly to force players to get their newer games by shutting down multiplayerservers for their old ones.

Again, I only know from their sports titles, but they usually keep 3 years running there.

I'm pretty impartial to EA by the way. There's a couple things they've done/havent done that have pissed me off lately.

• That's because their Sports division is probably their most profitable console division.

Meanwhile, they treat Sims players like myself as if we are some kind of money printing press. They haven't fixed long outstanding bugs, but rather would have their mod community do the patch work for them. It's bad business practice, and it's making their Sims Developer team look like a bunch of incompetent programmers who just got out of college and don't know how the core game code functions.

I mean, there's a bug that's almost two years old now that a Modder has fixed for EA, and they couldn't bother to look at what the modder did and then put it in an official patch? Why should I download a third-party mod just to fix a game?

• standard EULA stuff, they still do it usually.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

All right, I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but what the...

I'm talking about Origin, the new DRM-made nightmare Electronic Arts has unleashed on the (almost) unsuspecting PC players with "Battlefield 3". I was pretty sure that no one could surpass Ubisoft, but EA makes that kind of devilish malware look harmless compared to its latest "your PC is ours"-program.

Now, my stance towards DRM is rather strict, as many of you know (as I'm not even using Steam), but even after its revision yesterday, EAs Origin-EULA must still be considered illegal/void under German law. The corresponding malware still looks into and scans every folder EA wants to. It's an element of control that effectively makes your PC someone else's.

Any experiences with this game in here?

• @Vainamoinen said: Any experiences with this game in here?

No. Even if I could run it I would not play it because I don't need Origin. I have Steam and am happy with it. I don't need another store for games on my PC. Especially since there are only EA games, which I had no interest in for years now.

Add Comment