User Avatar Image

Star Trek discussion

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 581 users

There is a thread about Star Wars, so I'm creating one about Star Trek.
Anything Star Trek, not just games.

First, I've been looking around for downloadable Star Trek games to no avail. It would seem that I'm not the best at taking care of my old PC game media, and as such am not able to readily locate my Armada, Armada II, Away Team or A Final Unity CDs.

Fortunately, I often made disc images of games that I own, but it still would be rather nice if I could buy these online, or to expand my library with such as Starfleet Command or Bridge Commander.

75 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Some of the old Star Trek Original Series adventure games were tops. That 25th Anniversary one is awesome.

• You never could tell the difference between a dicrystalline ethoriter and a dicrystalline etherizer being implemented to the FTL drive core when it was being used in the enterprise!

If someone can explain me how this can be explained according to the anthropic priniciple i will give you a subspace transgenic biopunk i bought from a Star Trek store.

:p

• User Avatar Image
    harrisonpink Telltale Staff

@Everlast said: You never could tell the difference between a dicrystalline ethoriter and a dicrystalline etherizer being implemented to the FTL drive core when it was being used in the enterprise!

If someone can explain me how this can be explained according to the anthropic priniciple i will give you a subspace transgenic biopunk i bought from a Star Trek store.

:p

It's really quite obvious. One sits directly behind the deflector dish and enables the ship to take tachyon pulses and "invert" them. Any time Picard uses an "inverse tachyon beam", it's directly caused by the dicrystalline ethoriter. The dicrystalline etherizer attaches to the front of the ram scoop allowing ionized hydrogen particles to be collected and used to flood plasma conduits in case of warp core breach.

It's simple, really.

• I was never really into Star Trek, but since the shows popped up on Netflix I've been watching them constantly. I like TNG a lot, and the other series are all okay. TOS holds up surprisingly well. I watched one episode of the Animated Series, and I think I'm done with that. I like Enterprise more than I expected, but I'm kind of sick of it by now. Still not crazy about Voyager, although it slowly grows on me. DS9 isn't on Netflix yet so I've only seen a couple of episodes of that.

I like how every episode of TNG seems to be genuinely thought-provoking in some way, in terms of universal issues that you can relate to. Voyager seems to be trying to do that, it just doesn't do it nearly as consistently or as expertly. Enterprise occasionally tries but it seems to mostly be straightforward adventure stories by comparison.

Interestingly, the first episode I ever saw of any Star Trek series was several years ago, and it was the TNG episode "Family," in which Picard visits his brother in France, and Worf is visited by his parents. Just that one episode, completely out of context. It's a good episode now that I know what was going on, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the worst possible entry points to the series. Not sure how that happened. I basically completely forgot about the experience until I rewatched it on Netflix.

I'm starting to slow down now, since I've watched every Q episode, nearly every cross-series cameo episode, every Borg episode (of TNG, not all the Voyager ones yet), and most of the episodes that I've seen recommended in various top 10 lists. If anybody here has any suggestions of hidden gems among the shows, I'll check them out.

• I do love DS9. There's a lot of character development and recurring guest stars. It also discusses religious belief, which TNG unfortunately treats as archaic.

I'm actually a fan of all the series, except for TOS. Many of TOS' plotlines are extremely similar to each other (eg. an alien/robot attacking or invading the ship; a robot killing/controlling all life it encounters which can only be defeated by telling it that itself is evil; the away team on a planet is being killed off except for the senior staff; etc.) and it may be renown for addressing certain social issues of its time but I'm not old enough for those to speak to me like they might have to my parents.

And of course there's the rule that the even numbered Trek movies are the best (ie. Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, First Contact, and Nemesis) with the exception of the newest movie, Star Trek XI (2009), which is one of my favorites.

• Enterprise started strong, broke down in the middle then picked up a bit. There were two or three key cast members who disagreed with the producers and directors about the direction of the show, which was also tied to network meddling.

DS9 sort of lost the point of Star Trek, in a good and bad sense, depending on where you stand. If you like Battle Star Galactica and Babylon 5 and the more action oriented (while still meaningful) direction, then those were good for you. If you enjoyed the more idealistic TOS and TNG shows that tried to portray a more idealistic/ambitious humanity and that focused on capsule shows in which classic science fiction ideals were written, you were one of those that was irked.

• @Chyron8472 said: And of course there's the rule that the even numbered Trek movies are the best (ie. Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, First Contact, and Nemesis) with the exception of the newest movie, Star Trek XI (2009), which is one of my favorites.

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that Nemesis was relatively terrible, so the alternating-curse kind of broke at that point. I'm still mildly interested in seeing it. I've seen all of the other "good" films, as well as Star Trek 3 and Generations, both of which I thought were not that bad. And I found The Voyage Home to just be absurd, though it had a couple of good moments I just couldn't get over the whale thing.

• I never agreed with the rule in the first place. I founf The original film being better than Voyage home, for instance.

Also DS9 is the best series of the lot that I've seen (excluding Voyager, enterprise and animated. I've heard they weren't that great anyway.). I felt that TNG was limited with what they could do. Every other episode seemed to be about somwone getting possessed by some gaseous alien who boarded. DS9 provided better character development and could regularly introduce new characters and have old ones return.

• The reason people didn't like the first movie was because it meandered while pandering to the Space Odyssey crowd. Was just too indulgent.

• I think the sequel to the 2009 movie is coming out next summer.

Add Comment