User Avatar Image

Illegal copies, what do they look like

posted by barchetta on - last edited - Viewed by 199 users

Let me first make it clear that I do not own any illegal copies of any TellTaleGames games, only the real deal (plus downloadable-only games, like Poker Night, Puzzle Agent, Hector, Bone -- yes, I'm a big fan):

sm0.jpg

But on my vacation to Indonesia last month, I came across one of the many illegal movie and software stores.

sm6i.jpg

There I saw ...

sm1n.jpg

(lower right corner: "Collectible Badges"?)

sm2p.jpg

80,000 rupiah, that's US$ 9.00 or € 6.50 for a set of 2 DVD's.

sm3q.jpg

Ooooh, that looks pretty fake!

sm4l.jpg

Of course, no Collectible Badges to be found. Instead, 2 chinese DVD's.

sm5e.jpg

Needless to say, I didn't buy anything there.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @barchetta said: Needless to say, I didn't buy anything there.

aw. I'd love to know the quality of the release.

• I just don't get the point of having physical copies of the games to begin with, regardless if they're fake or not.
    Like, it's so much better to only have the downloadable game without having to worry about logistics, packaging and environmental damage. It's cheaper, it's easier and you don't have to worry about where you're gonna put all 17,000 of your DVDs that will inevitably get lost at some point in the future.
    What's the point of paying for something you already have? Why isn't the digital version good enough?

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Some people just like having physical copies as well as digital ones. I'm perfectly happy to have hundreds of books on my eReader, but I still prefer to read the original paperbacks if I can get them cheap. Aside from the fact they look cool on my shelf, they also have a real weight to them that you don't get from ones and zeroes. It's just a matter of preference.

I'm guessing the two discs shown are two CDs, which have a custom-made installer that has all five episodes in one lot. Just a guess, but 1.4GB sounds about right for all five episodes once compressed in an installer.

EDIT: OK, make that two DVD-5s rather than two CDs. Little ol' me was thinking of the original Sam & Max series, not The Devil's Playhouse, which a little investigation on my part reveals to be around 7½ GBs when compressed.

EDIT2: OK, I've found a repack that's just over 2 GBs, but it's probably not that. The 7½ Gigs one sounds most plausible, since it's probably an uncompressed collection of the five episodes shoved in a basic installer over 2 discs.

. ...and please don't ask where I'm finding these figures!

• Some people have crappy internet. And I mean *5 minutes for a mb of download while you pay for every minute* - crappy. I had this before 2007 for several years and there are still people out there that have to use that.

• Due to bandwith caps now(America) and how much they charge for going over I no longer get things digital at first. I look around to see if I can find a reasonably priced physical copy. Because downloading a 10 GB game (see Saints Row2) can kill ones bandwith. Plus online play eats up more. Patches, DLC, and etc saving the 10GB helps a lot.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@der_ketzer said: Some people have crappy internet. And I mean *5 minutes for a mb of download while you pay for every minute* - crappy. I had this before 2007 for several years and there are still people out there that have to use that.

We are SO alike. ;)

In fact, I managed to get rid of my 56k modem after 10 years in January 2009. A revelation, finally being able to watch internet videos. :D :D

BTW, the "collectible badges" are probably printed on the inside of the cover paper. Turn it around and have scissors and glue ready. Ain't that quality? :D :D

• I don't understand. I don't have any download limit, and I pay the same amount every month for my internet connection.

• More and more areas in America are getting bandwith caps. My area has them. It sucks, a lot. They charge you A LOT. Before we paid 35/month for like 60 Mb/s when they put in the bandwith cap it jumped to 45/month for 120GB/month and our speed dropped down to 10 Mb/s. Then they charged quite a bit for going over. So my brother and I broke contract switched providers where we now pay 20/month for 35 Mb/s and unlimited data.
    Also yes we easily went over 120GB/month. With Youtube streaming, hulu, southparkstudios, downloading games from steam, and that I do a lot of file management for people I'm constantly uploading and download things to web servers. Oh plus, our cable service was actually through the internet so by watching TV it ate up a massive ammount of bandwith because my brother wanted HD.

• Sure beats what we have here, it'd be nice if they bothered to put the art on the discs too rather than just writing the names with a sharpie >.>

@caeska said: I just don't get the point of having physical copies of the games to begin with, regardless if they're fake or not.
    Like, it's so much better to only have the downloadable game without having to worry about logistics, packaging and environmental damage. It's cheaper, it's easier and you don't have to worry about where you're gonna put all 17,000 of your DVDs that will inevitably get lost at some point in the future.
    What's the point of paying for something you already have? Why isn't the digital version good enough?

People like having stuff they can touch and see, what's so difficult to understand?

• @SunnyGuy said:
    People like having stuff they can touch and see, what's so difficult to understand?

I can touch and see my PC monitor, doesn't that count?

But yeah when it comes to books I agree with DM, I don't like e-books I always buy the paperbacks. But it's not like I buy it digitally first and then go to the store to buy the physical book.

Add Comment