User Avatar Image

Languages?

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

Which languages will be included in the game?

71 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JurassicPark Fan said: It will be out for spanish and german just with sub titles

What game are you talking about?

• ... Imagine us, from Brazil???? Or... the Russians, Chinese and Japanese! We all play a lot video games and our market is good for that! :)

Telltale should invite cheap translators for that.... hehehe I candidate myself to translate the texts to Brazilian Portuguese! hueuhueh

Isn't that what the fan communities do? the MODs with translations. The point is that not all costumers are used to play complex games out of their native languages. Mainly European, asian, Hispanic and Luso Americas too...

Not all costummers are fortunate to know English pretty well.

For example, I would like to buy a copy of Back to the Future to my 10-year-old nephew. But he could never play such a game. He's a Brazilian kid, and a brazilian kid doesnt speak fluent English....

The same with the Spaniards, Italians and Japanese...

Look this link: the most spoken languages of the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

• Which Languages are included in pre-order Jurassic Park: Deluxe Pack?

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@The Knight said: Which Languages are included in pre-order Jurassic Park: Deluxe Pack?

English and German audio, English, German, and French subtitles.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

On a very general note, we've had this discussion for every game since time memorial. I actually recall a very heated thread for BTTF where German was the most-demanded language for the game. Strangely, when the surprising announcement was made that there IS German text and speech, the extent of applause didn't quite match the former aggression.

So, just a reminder to keep this discussion alive with a fair share of walking in someone else's shoes. If you speak English, it's hard not to look down on people who can not play a game in its original language. If you live in a country which doesn't have a dubbing culture, it's hard to understand why subtitles just don't suffice. If you're not in the translation or voiceover business, you might have an oversimplified idea of the process and its obstacles for smaller companies.

BTTF was a great step forward concerning foreign language support. It does leave a lot to be desired, but I'm sure the more successful TTG is internationally, the more languages will follow in future games. It's just that for the initial release of Jurassic Park, obviously the same connections were used as for the Back to the Future game, hence the same languages.

As always, individual publishers in foreign countries may contact TTG and sell the product with their own translation and voiceover work in retail editions, so don't give up hope for an Italian or Portuguese edition of Jurassic Park just now.

@Woodsyblue said:
    More people may speak Portuguese and Spanish, but it's very likely a higher percentage of German people will be interested in this game. I don't pretend to understand it, I just accept it.

That's it. Can't say I'd really understand it, but it seems like you can sell adventure games in Germany quite well. So well in fact that a once-planned LucasArts Fate of Atlantis sequel was cancelled after marketing chances in Germany were judged to be bad.

There are many ways to evaluate which translation would be the best idea. A rather easy one is to have a look at your website hits and where they come from - this way you'll have a first "interest map" for your game world domination plan. I wonder how this statistics looks for TTG.

• if we only refer to the number of people who speak a certain language (mother tongue), we would have to make the following language support (in this order):

1. Chinese (1.213.000.000 speakers)
    2. Spanish (329.000.000 speakers)
    3. English (328.000.000 speakers)
    4. Hindi (242.000.000 speakers)
    5. Arabic (221.000.000 speakers)
    6. Bengali (181.000.000 speakers)
    7. Portuguese (178.000.000 speakers)
    8. Russian (144.000.000 speakers)
    9. Japanese (122.000.000 speakers)
    10. German (90.000.000 speakers)
    11. French (68.000.000 speakers)

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

How exactly can German only have 90,000,000 speakers when the combined populations of Austria, Switzerland and Germany have already 98,000,000? ;)

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@Vainamoinen said: How exactly can German only have 90,000,000 speakers when the combined populations of Austria, Switzerland and Germany have already 98,000,000? ;)

Not everyone in Switzerland speaks German...

• @Vainamoinen said: How exactly can German only have 90,000,000 speakers when the combined populations of Austria, Switzerland and Germany have already 98,000,000? ;)

http://www.ethnologue.com/ethno_docs/distribution.asp?by=size

offensichtlich lernt hat nicht jeder in deutschland, österreich oder der schweiz geborene deutsch als muttersprache :)

Add Comment