User Avatar Image

Broken Sword - The Director's Cut

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

I finally got around to playing the first Broken Sword game which I picked up from GoG for free a while back, and I am completely and utterly disappointed with this alleged "remake" of the brilliant game.

What they have done is actually make the game worse than the original. They have removed deaths, for starters!
There is not a single point in the game now where you can die! For example, when you're in Syria and Khan has you at gunpoint, you can no longer say the wrong option and get shot! He will automatically say the correct lines and automatically jump off the cliff without any prompting from the player. Seriously, this is an outrage! How the hell could they have done something so stupid?

There are also fewer objects to interact with overall, there are more generic responses then there were in the original and not to mention the in-game hint system that just hands you the answers.
It would have been nice if they could have done something right and make it possible for George to run, but they didn't even do that!

The extra scenes with Nico at the start were done pretty well and the additional storyline has huge potential, but it just ended abruptly and amounted to nothing, so it was actually pointless. There are just the two sessions and then the game is pretty much the same. Those didn't even add that much to the game.

No, the original Broken Sword is one of the gems of PC gaming and much, much better than this so-called Director's Cut. Fortunately I still have the original on CD, so I will be sticking to that from now on, thank you very much.
I highly recommend to anyone planning to try this game out to not bother with the Director's Cut, and instead get the original.

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's a good job they chucked in the original with it then!

• That's right! You don't just have the original on CD, you have it on GOG as well!

• I completely agree, the director's cut is more like Broken Sword: Lite, or Broken Sword: The Dumbed Down Edition. It's an interesting curio but for those who've never played Broken Sword, there's a risk that they'll automatically play the director's cut, under the assumption that it'll be the definitive version.

• I can understand removing the deaths - that's always been a bugbear of mine when it comes to adventure games - but the rest of the changes you describe seem a really big deal. At least the remastering of Broken Sword 2 didn't do anything like that (or so I think).

I actually played the Wii version of BS1 (though I also own it on Steam now), and I noticed a very audible difference between the new lines recorded for the Nico sections and the original lines featuring George. Did anyone else notice that?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@caeska said:
    What they have done is actually make the game worse than the original. They have removed deaths, for starters!
    [...]
    There are also fewer objects to interact with overall, there are more generic responses then there were in the original

Whaaaat? How on earth could they think taking that stuff out would be an improvement?? I played the Director's Cut, definitely going to go back and play the original version the next time I need some George Stobbart in my life.

• My main gripe is they took out the wonderful dramatic intro and replaced it with the new Nico one, which is dead on but it's just not the same as "Paris in the fall, the last months of the year and the end of the millenium"

Stobbart, shine on you crazy diamond!

@Darth Marsden said: I actually played the Wii version of BS1 (though I also own it on Steam now), and I noticed a very audible difference between the new lines recorded for the Nico sections and the original lines featuring George. Did anyone else notice that?

Oh yeah, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

@Darth Marsden said: I played the Director's Cut, definitely going to go back and play the original version the next time I need some George Stobbart in my life.

You played the Directors Cut!? Very poor PB, you should know better! But yes, the original is superior in every way except it's a tad more low res, but it works in its favour. Through my nostalgia goggles anyways.

• @JedExodus said: My main gripe is they took out the wonderful dramatic intro and replaced it with the new Nico one, which is dead on but it's just not the same as "Paris in the fall, the last months of the year and the end of the millenium"

Urgh, I forgot about the change to the classic intro (having Nico read the "Paris in the fall" line). It's pure sacrilege. :mad:

• @Davies said: Urgh, I forgot about the change to the classic intro (having Nico read the "Paris in the fall" line). It's pure sacrilege. :mad:

Yeah, I vaguely recall that not being right.

Really doesn't seem to have gone down well, this Director's Cut. No wonder it was so cheap on Steam!

• How can you complain about an OPTIONAL hint system?

• @DAISHI said: How can you complain about an OPTIONAL hint system?

When you buy the game, having completely finished the original version, and try the hint system to see what it's like, only to find that it's not so much a hint system as a walkthrough.

THAT'S how.

Add Comment