User Avatar Image

Moasaur - How?

posted by Super-munkyboy on - last edited - Viewed by 943 users

Hey guys,

New to the boards, and I just wanted to get your opinions on this. I love the fact we're getting a moasaur in the game, the underwater level looks creepy.

Now considering that, according to the movie, the animals DNA was taken from blood sucking bugs encased in amber, how did they manage to get a hold of Moasaur DNA. I'm all for suspension of belief, just been trying to figure it out.

I reckon it'll be answered in the game, but what do you think?

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Maybe a Mosasaur beached itself and a mosquito took advantage?

• @Tyrannosaur87 said: Maybe a Mosasaur beached itself and a mosquito took advantage?

Keep in mind that the mosquito only needed it's blood. So the mosasaur doesn't have to be present for the mosquito to acquire some fresh blood it found somewhere... i really don't know i'm just spouting off ideas.

• Its possible. Maybe it'll be explained although its not really that huge a loss if it isn't

• You're forgetting about the extinct species of underwater mosquitos! :P

• Just like sharks, killer whales, dolphins, squids, cods, salmon, turtles, seahorses, basically any sort of underwater creature, gets itself killed and is beached by the tide, I imagine that same thing probably happened at least once during the long time that the Mosasaurs existed.

It doesn't even need to have been killed to have become beached, it might just have been confused and wobbled unto land.

• LOL how I didn't think it was beached. Thats a pretty good answer.

• Or a storm altered the tide and beached the mosasaur. There are thousands of different possibilities

• @Tyrannosaur87 said: Or a storm altered the tide and beached the mosasaur. There are thousands of different possibilities

That's actually a very good explanation and something that probably happened frequently when the Earth was young.

• Yeah many many ways to get sea dino's beached.
    Some sort of predator grabbing at them and and dragging them on shore
    Corpse naturally washing to shore
    Storms beaching them
    Swim to far into shallows while hunting and get beached
    Drought trapping and subsequently beaching the dino
    etc.

I mean if modern day Whales etc. can swim into central london and get beached I'm sure a dino could do it.

• it's been a while since i've read the book, but i do think ingen also recovered genetic material from ground up bone. if you think about it, why would a company in ingen's position limit themselves to dna found preserved in amber? the dna found in the amber was probably the least fragmented, but, once enough high-quality dino dna had been collected, that dna could likely have been used to help reconstruct sequences from other sources. i know there's no mention of these techniques being employed, but they're the most likely, especially considering that dna would be flowing in from multiple sources and, in many cases, a single sample would contain contributions from multiple animals, most likely representing multiple species. the fragments would likely be labeled by source, location, and time period, sequenced, mixed with dna from other sources (such as frog dna) and then aligned using a strategy similar to shotgun sequencing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_sequencing). that being said, there were probably plenty of opportunities for mosasaur dna to end up in an insect and for that insect to end up trapped in amber. two examples i can think of are a beaching scenario or a carcass washing up on shore.

Add Comment