User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 21.2K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

432 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've just finished it on PC. The story and the voice acting were fantastic, and it had a great cinematic feel. The setpieces were really gripping and properly "wow moments".

But the graphics and the chugging frame rate really detract from what could have been a great, solid experience. The dinosaur models were great compared to the rest of the game; there were so many blurry textures that were shoved right in your face and bizarre animations for the characters.

They really nailed the Jurassic Park atmosphere, it really felt like a true continuation of the film canon, it's just a shame their engine couldn't measure up to it.

• :mad::):):):):mad: @waroftheworlds01 said: The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

• Ok picture this: The game starts out with you as being Eric and Ben and it shows their "fun" parachute ride and it keeps on going till where the movie left off as in them crashing into the tree's and Ben getting stuck. From there it should go until Eric finds the Ingen lab and finds people who ended up stranded like him but because they wanted to hunt down, capture, and sell the dinosaurs on the island but it was a mistake. From there it should where they find Ben getting eaten, Spinosaurus aegyptiacus run, meeting the velociraptor's egg nest's, and last of all kind of a funny part but Eric getting T-Rex pee :p.Through that the survivors end up finding out that the boat Eric and Ben came on is repairable and so from their they venture to find parts. But through this all when they're about to get off the island and the boat is started up they get offshore and they meet some aquatic dinosaurs like lieplurodon or some other aquatic dinosaur and the boat is total and there's only two people left, Eric and another guy or girl. So they roam through the island trying to find shelter and they stumble upon the Spinosaurus' resting place and so from there it all leads up to you-Eric finding the water truck and theres where it ends or it could go till you save Dr.Grant.

• Mod Edit: Well, that was entirely non-constructive. No randomly swearing at people, 'kay?

• There were too many cheesey moments and some of the challenges were hard as hell

• This game froze so much it wasn't funny, the story was very bland with no sense of urgency.

• I don't know how people can think anything highly of this game honestly.

Lets not forget the original movie came out in 1993, so most of the original fans are in their mid twenties to thirties, not 10 or 12 yrs old - so of course we're going to expect a real epic adventure survival game that stays true to the nostalgia of the movie. Unfortunately the game insults your intelligence through most of the mindless-mouse clicks and timed arrow combos that just make you think you're playing the game but really you're skipping through short cut-scenes and watching a bad-tv-movie-cartoon version of Jurassic Park. The writing and dialogue is awful, not to mention some of the voice acting. And the game character models have very limited expressions and random eye movements that don't make any real sense and rarely sync up naturally to dialogue or the action, most of it just looks like really lazy animation. Its cool to be back on Isla Nublar and yes the idea of these other characters fighting for survival on the island along a mostly-parallel story-line with the original movie is a good premise for a game, but they missed the mark.

Some examples of the laziness of the game: "Harding, the loving, but obviously not very smart for a dinosaur veterinarian father, lowers a crane (that you "control" with a single mouse-click) so his daughter can rip a door off a power box in order to restore power to a conveniently...or inconveniently... placed silly roller coaster (in a zoo? - this is jurassic park, not six flags), anyway when you then switch controls to Jess, his daughter, then attempts to secure the hook to the door, Harding yells out something like 'hey what do you think you're doing with that thing...thats dangerous! - again - the dad JUST moved the crane to her HIMSELF, why would he question how or why she's going to use it? Either lazy or poor writing, or Mr. Harding has some serious short-term memory loss. Other things annoying about the gameplay, besides a lot of bugs that will make your mouse cursor just randomly disappear, some characters will have weapons throughout the game - but you can't actually use them like you'd expect in a game. Harding points a tranquilizer rifle at a t-rex, instead of aiming with your mouse and clicking to fire, you follow with boring left, right, up, down, arrow pushing in sync with a series of green icons that appear on the screen and again, you just watch the cut-scenes unfold. If you are off with your timing or press the wrong arrow, the only thing you affect is an alternate cut-scene where the character either does the same thing but more clumsy, or you get eaten and have to do it again. It gets really repetitive and mind-numbing. Later you'll have similar situations with the "mercenary" guys you play as. Yes mercenaries, but don't get your hopes up, you don't get to participate in any of the real action so much as just watch it. And their dialogue is just awful. Not to mention one portion of the game you just move boxes for an obviously disillusioned scientist lady that thinks she's safe on the island.

This game had so much potential. I really don't get why movie-based video games can't be better. The excuse most of the time for movie games is just time and budget so it can come out when the movie comes out and the production is super-accelerated , but in this case, the game is based on a movie that came out twenty years ago, they could have made a much better effort. I think if RockStar or Naughty Dog had their hands on the rights to this, we would've had a bad-ass third-person shooting survival game with some truly beautiful graphics and at least some decent writing and gameplay.

Oh well, now i can only hope that Jurassic World will fulfill my JP craving in 2015..

• This game sucks. Truly, this is the worst game I have ever had the displeasure of spending money on. It's soooooo boring. There are almost no puzzles, and the ones that are there are not clever in any way. You just have to click on buttons like a trained monkey to keep the movie going? Aaaahhh stick a fork in my eye. I want my money back!!! So deeply disappointed in you Telltale after playing some of your other, far more entertaining offerings. Don't buy this--it's such a waste.

Add Comment