User Avatar Image

Do you normally turn the in-game hints off first thing?

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 234 users

Taking the question from another post regarding TT games:

@Dlenart said: When you guys play our games do you normally turn the hints off first thing? Just curious.

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My first action is to pop into settings, turn the hints all the way up and the subtitles on. Don't want any boring puzzles getting in the way of the reason I bought the game.

• Are we just talking TT games? I don't turn the hints off, I turn the frequency all the way down though. I don't like being stuck on one part for too long, but I also don't like being told the solution to the puzzle before I've even bloody started!

In most other genre games I turn hints off though. Occasionally I'll check a walkthrough if I happen to be playing an RPG which has missables. Such as timed and/or hidden sidequests and stuff like that. Stuff which you probably aren't going to find unless you use a walkthrough, either that or scower every nook and cranny after every story event.

• Yeah I was wondering about a frequency option.

• Hints have no place inside a game. Especially in TT games where they give an entire walkthrough instead of hints. If you're really really stuck then it's just a small matter of going to gamefaqs.com anyway.

• I set them low but not off while I'm going through and setting my graphics options and whatnot.

• It really depends on the game but normally I get rid of them. I get a greater sense of accomplishment when I overcome a puzzle I've been stuck on for a while without hints.

• @caeska said: Hints have no place inside a game. Especially in TT games where they give an entire walkthrough instead of hints. If you're really really stuck then it's just a small matter of going to gamefaqs.com anyway.

False. Why add one extra step? Tips inside the games are convenient.

• I turn them off until I find a part that I just can not figure out (Like how to get the presidents saliva, which the hints didn't help there). With any luck, I don't need them. I like it difficult a lot of times.

Add Comment