User Avatar Image

Is telltale trying to do too much at once ?

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 484 users

Sorry if i seem angry (I am not) but I just wanted to share some thoughts.

The reason I am asking this question is that I just saw the Law & order trailer and it looks horrible sorry, but the art direction and the whole courtroom gameplay ?? really Law & Order ???

I mean you guys have so many great franchises it seems that lately you have been putting out game after game and as a result gameplay has suffered, I remember when you put out games like sam & max , wallace & gromit, tales of monkey island all great games.

What happened ??? I mean your games have really suffered lately Jurassic Park was a mess it´s heavy rain just without any really choice.
Bttf was fun since I am bttf nut but the gameplay was really uninspired.

I mean I love what you are doing but come on a little more effort than this you can do.

How about cutting down on some franchises and focus on a smaller level instead of trying to make adaptations of everything.

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @WARP10CK said: MY OPINION IS CORRECT

    I disagree.

  • I just saw the trailer. What stroke me as unusual was the simple fact that Max was capable of portraying more emotions through his body language and facial expressions than any of the characters in the trailer... and we're talking about Max here, people.

    The courtroom gameplay seems fun and actually original. I haven't played any Phoenix Wright game, but I bet Telltale's Law and Order game offers you more possibilities in the court. You can actually choose more than one answer to the Objection-thingie and the negotiation-part... and you can actually fail! I love games with multiple endings!

    However, I also like games that throw you in a crazy-awesome atmosphere. This game does not. The simple models are just taking you away from the gameplay... and I usually wouldn't say that before testing it out myself, but... ugh!

    I don't know what the art department was thinking on this one, but they left me with the impression that this game was released in 1995, not 2011.

    I'm not a huge fan of Jurassic Park, but the models in that game looked BRILLIANT!! The simple fact that the characters looked so good and were able to actually show Fear and Terror through mere eye-expressions made me WANT to play it!

    Now compare those characters with the cardboard cutouts from Law and Order. Someone, somewhere, probably spilled a mug of coffee on a keyboard. Otherwise, I see no logical explanation.

    I love this company, but this is the first game I wouldn't play. At all.

  • I dunno they always managed to make CSI games while making lovely games we adventure game nerds love.. I see this as pretty much the same deal..

  • @Irishmile said: I dunno they always managed to make CSI games while making lovely games we adventure game nerds love.. I see this as pretty much the same deal..

    ...except these have love behind them. :P

  • @Ribs said: I disagree.

    Well I did not say my opinion was CORRECT i was just sharing my opinion if you have a problem with that too bad that´s my opinion.

  • @WARP10CK said: The reason I am asking this question is that I just saw the Law & order trailer and it looks horrible sorry, but the art direction and the whole courtroom gameplay ?? really Law & Order ???

    I mean you guys have so many great franchises it seems that lately you have been putting out game after game and as a result gameplay has suffered, I remember when you put out games like sam & max , wallace & gromit, tales of monkey island all great games.

    This was the part that bothered me - What on Earth is wrong with Law and Order? It's a 20+ year old franchise! Yes, it's all but died (SVU is exception), but it still was a very well-made show that was very well thought out and pretty much set the precedent for most of modern crime procedurals.

    Art direction is horrible? What? You may not like the aesthetic, but it's well directed and executed, as are more of Telltale's titles.

    And what really bothered me was that second paragraph, inwhich you claim that Law and Order won't be a good game judged on the fact that it's coming out at the same time as Telltale is working on other projects. Keep in mind Wallace and Gromit's late development occurred whilst Tales was beggining - and many agree with me that Wallace was much better in the ending as opposed to the first two episodes.

    The game isn't out yet, judging it on a brief preview/interview and a Behind the Scenes trailer isn't fair at all. In a week, you can come back and claim that the production schedule at Telltale has tampered with the quality of the games - but seeing as we've had ONE game that has had quality that has suffered that may have been because of close proximity to other potential franchises, I'd say you are currently jumping to conclusions.

  • @Ribs said: This was the part that bothered me - What on Earth is wrong with Law and Order? It's a 20+ year old franchise! Yes, it's all but died (SVU is exception), but it still was a very well-made show that was very well thought out and pretty much set the precedent for most of modern crime procedurals.

    Art direction is horrible? What? You may not like the aesthetic, but it's well directed and executed, as are more of Telltale's titles.

    And what really bothered me was that second paragraph, inwhich you claim that Law and Order won't be a good game judged on the fact that it's coming out at the same time as Telltale is working on other projects. Keep in mind Wallace and Gromit's late development occurred whilst Tales was beggining - and many agree with me that Wallace was much better in the ending as opposed to the first two episodes.

    The game isn't out yet, judging it on a brief preview/interview and a Behind the Scenes trailer isn't fair at all. In a week, you can come back and claim that the production schedule at Telltale has tampered with the quality of the games - but seeing as we've had ONE game that has had quality that has suffered that may have been because of close proximity to other potential franchises, I'd say you are currently jumping to conclusions.

    Yeah but two games at the same time is one thing and both tales of monkey island and wallace & gromit turned out great.

    And yes I do think telltale is doing way to much and as a result they are sacrificing gameplay and one rule they really should write down and hang on their wall is LESS IS MORE.

    How many developers have more than two franchises in development at the same time ? quality over quantity.

    One example is Naughty dog they have focused on two franchises Uncharted and now the recently annouced Last of us.

    They have been working the last of us that for the last two years and I would rather see developers taking their time instead of pushing out game after game in a rapid succession.

  • To answer the thread title: Yes they are and yes they have been doing it for years.

Add Comment