User Avatar Image

Why episode 6 is my least favorite episode this season

posted by matan on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

(THIS ENTIRE POST IS A SPOILER)

Hi,

Sorry for spoiling the fun, but I just wanted to point out the reasons that made me like this episode a bit less than the rest:

1) I didn't like being able to USE max as a hint system. This is because (a) I think it's weird to be able to ask Max "Can you give me a hint?" - makes you feel like you're playing a game. It made me feel like Max wasn't really another character but rather just an object meant to give you hints (by the way, this also disturbed me in CSI). (b) I'm a very weak person, and when there's a hint system around, I wound up using it and hating myself afterwards.
Also, I liked the fact that Max had different dialog options based on the location, and it's too bad he stopped having those.

2) I think some of the puzzles this time were a bit unfair (i.e, I was stuck a few times, and when I accidently solved the puzzle I didn't bang my head and said - how didn't I think of that!?)

Specifically:

I) the antenna has been there forever and there was no reason to suspect we could take it this time.

II) There was nothing that hinted that we should make Leonard throw up. When Sam used the throwing up thingy on most characters, he just said "I don't want to see him throw up", and there was just no reason to suspect Leonard had that deed inside him (unless I missed something)

3) Just a tiny grump - in this episode, for some reason, I got kinda annoyed with getting stuck into Max while walking (the wheeeee thing). Last episodes it was cute, but this time for some reason Max just kept getting in my way all the time.

Just wanted to comment that despite those three things, the episode was still pretty good, and the fact that it's my least favorite just goes to show how great this season was :D

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think the Max hints thing is tough to balance. Max has been a sort of surface-level-hint system for the entire season, but as indicated by the dozens of people posting saying "waah how come there are no hints?!" a lot of people didn't understand that. Putting all of that dialog beneath a line saying "need a hint," instead of just having it at the top of the dialog tree, was, I imagine, an effort to clue people in to what's going on. I personally wasn't too excited to see that slightly fourth-wall-breaking "Hey Max I need a hint" line, but I think it was put there with good reason / good intentions.

Also, if you click on Leonard, Sam asks if Max has been feeding Leonard, and Max said he has, and most recently fed him the deed to the USA. I think that dialog only plays a couple times, though. :)

• @Jake said: Also, if you click on Leonard, Sam asks if Max has been feeding Leonard, and Max said he has, and most recently fed him the deed to the USA. I think that dialog only plays a couple times, though. :)

Weird, I haven't heard that ine... maybe it only plays before Max gets separated? When I clicked Leonard, Sam asked Max if he has been feeding Leonard, and max just replied "Yes"...

Actually, I knew I was looking for the money, and I had a feeling I had to get it out of the cash register on the moon, so I spent most of the time around there trying to draw my gun on the moleman :)

• Well, actually, Max has always given out hints. But this is the first episode to make it so obvious. :P The difficulty is hard to balance, because no matter how easy or hard it is, people are going to always have something they don't like about it. Just about every review has complained of easy puzzles. Personally I think Episode 6 was about as close to balance as it's ever going to get.

• @matan said: 3) Just a tiny grump - in this episode, for some reason, I got kinda annoyed with getting stuck into Max while walking (the wheeeee thing). Last episodes it was cute, but this time for some reason Max just kept getting in my way all the time.

In earlier episodes, when Sam smacked Max out of his way, he would keep walking. Now he stops and you have to click again.

• *SPOILERS*

I got stuck on the antenna and lunar lander leg cutting.

I have to say, I'm pretty sure one of the episodes had you take the antenna. Also, the lander door clearly had a little knob/pull thing, an open window, and said "the keys are stuck inside" when you try to open it. Kind of obvious.

The deed thing was very clear. "I fed him the deed to the united states." Then you get something that makes people throw up. I walked around trying to get everyone to throw up =p

The only thing I felt was really hard to figure out was the lunar lander. I'm supposed to cut a metal leg a regular saw? Kind of weird.

• @XMunkki said: But it's the polish that makes it.. :p

silly me, and I thought it was the americans who makes it :) the polish did a great job on Jack Orlando, though, if I remember correctly :D

• A question for those who don't like hints - would you feel better about it if you could turn them off? (i.e. You uncheck "hints" on the option screen and if it's not checked, the "I could use a hint" dialogue line isn't visible to you.)

About Leonard - Max stops saying the thing about the deed after he's been separated. We realized it too late to fix it.

Add Comment