User Avatar Image

The Great Sherlock Thread

posted by Ribs on - last edited - Viewed by 4K users

Oh, hello, I didn't see you there!

You either clicked on this thread for one of three reasons. You either;
A. Was curious about it's contents and had no interest in the topic.
B. Thought this thread was discussing the Ritchie films
or C. Wished to discuss the masterful BBC and PBS produced 'Sherlock' series, ran by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

sherlockr.png

If you chose Option C, you are correct! That's right, the fantastic adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson shall continue starting New Years Day on BBC1 and each Sunday thereafter for a whopping three further weeks (insert 'Wow! Three Whole Weeks!'s)

If you've yet to experience the pure joy of the first series, it is available on Netflix streaming and on DVD (Amazon: US and UK).

Now then, let's get to the discussion, eh! Why not start with some thoughts on the first episode, Steven Moffat's "A Study in Pink"?

248 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh, this isn't about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories? Never mind, then....

• @WarpSpeed said: Oh, this isn't about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories? Never mind, then....

Yes, well. I would rather not have to remind myself of the Ritchie films, and decided to make it a specific thread because the most of the discussion would come from that. I suppose the other adaptations and such would be fine (I would also love to be able to pimp out the Big Finish audio adaptations of the original Conan Doyle stories). So yeah, feel free to do so. I just felt a place to discuss Sherlock (the show) would be nice as it's moderately popular.

• He's a better detective than Hercule Poirot.

• I liked the first season. It left me wanting more. Don't have much more to say about it except that:

Cumberbatch would make an excellent "young Alan Rickman" if they ever need to do a prequel to a movie featuring Alan Rickman. He's also the first guy I'd call if I needed an Alan Rickman soundalike for any sort of spinnoff media voiceover.

Before The Beatles Rock Band came out in 2009, I felt that one of the screenshots really looked like a teaser for a detective show. Now I feel justified in thinking so. See attached.

• I always thought that Benedict Cumberbatch would make an excellent Master, should Doctor Who decide to have the Master regenerate again. Alternatively, he would also make a good Doctor, provided that his Doctor also had a Valeyard to go with him.

But yes, this series rocks, though I don't share the opinion on the recent Holmes movies. Or at least the first one, I haven't seen the second yet.

Also, I would put forth "Without a Clue" as one of my favorite Holmesy stories...though if you're looking for the great detective being a great detective, it's probably not the movie you're looking for. But if you're looking for Holmes being a gambler, drunkard, womanizer, and all around idiot while Watson solves all the cases unrecognized, it's pretty damn hilarious.

• I just watched the first episode over a friend's house tonight (so yes, good timing for the thread to pop up). I found it quite terrific, actually. When she informed me that it was a modern-day adaptation, I was somewhat disappointed, admittedly. Traditionally, modern-day adaptations of anything have failed to impress or excited me. But, in this one, it worked incredibly well, and that was due to the fact that a modern setting just happened to be the right canvas for the story to be painted on, instead of a story or concept being forcefully shoved into a modern context merely for the hell of it. The decision to set the narrative in a current time simply worked, and it wasn't some gimmicky effort to modernize a classic concept, as I half-expected it to be.

Besides, the setting and scenery aren't what mattered most in this, anyway; it was the writing and plot, which were superbly written and cleverly conceived. And soon enough, any biased dislike or disappointment that I once towards the modern setting soon left my mind, as I became compelled by the plot and engaged by the series of events unfolding along the way.

I really can't wait to watch the other episodes now.

• @Hayden said: I just watched the first episode over a friend's house tonight (so yes, good timing for the thread to pop up). I found it quite terrific, actually. When she informed me that it was a modern-day adaptation, I was somewhat disappointed, admittedly. Traditionally, modern-day adaptations of anything have failed to impress or excited me. But, in this one, it worked incredibly well, and that was due to the fact that a modern setting just happened to be the right canvas for the story to be painted on, instead of a story or concept being forcefully shoved into a modern context merely for the hell of it. The decision to set the narrative in a current time simply worked, and it wasn't some gimmicky effort to modernize a classic concept, as I half-expected it to be.

Besides, the setting and scenery aren't what mattered most in this, anyway; it was the writing and plot, which were superbly written and cleverly conceived. And soon enough, any biased dislike or disappointment that I once towards the modern setting soon left my mind, as I became compelled by the plot and engaged by the series of events unfolding along the way.

I really can't wait to watch the other episodes now.

It's also worth bearing in mind the new series starts (in the UK) in a few days.

The series is fantastic, and remains the only version of sherlock holmes I enjoy (the others I've seen, with the exception of the movie, have been watchable, no more, no less.)

• Rewatched the exemplary A Study in Pink today - just an excellent, excellent piece of Television. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman just slip into the roles beautifully, perfect fits for the re-thought versions of each of the characters. Lastrade and Mycroft - two characters I always appreciate but I find tend to be underplayed in most Holmes fiction for some reason - are also fantastically handled, with Gatiss' portrayal of Mycroft being a show-stealer from not only the fantastic Martin Freeman, but also managing to feel like an equal to Cumberbatch's Holmes. Genius, brilliant, etc. 10/10, what have you.

My only complaint is 'The Game is on!' - what the bleeding eck was wrong with it being afoot?

Any thoughts on the second episode, Steve Thompson's The Blind Banker?

• Nobody should be named Benedict Cumberbatch.

• @DAISHI said: Nobody should be named Benedict Cumberbatch.

There's this kid they got to appear in Doctor Who this past season legitimately named Ezekiel Wigglesworth. Why some of us aren't this lucky is beyone me.

Add Comment