User Avatar Image

Web Site Question

posted by crash665 on - last edited - Viewed by 697 users

OK - why do I have to enter my b-day every time I go to the site? I've registered; the site knows my name. May not be important to some but a nuisance to me. Anyway to fix it?

13 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That's what I asked for... you can even set your birthdate in these forum's control panel, if you are logged in, the website shouldn't ask.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

It's to prevent minors from accessing The Walking Dead. Steam makes you do the same when looking at M rated games. It might be a US law.

• @divisionten said: It's to prevent minors from accessing The Walking Dead. Steam makes you do the same when looking at M rated games. It might be a US law.

Yup, I get that, but if they already have our info in our profiles while we are logged in, they should let us pass or not, according to our age.

• User Avatar Image
    _BrYan_ Telltale Staff

It's not US law, it's ESRB law.

Even small companies like us are on the ESRB radar, and we get fined big bucks for infractions. I'll speak with the web team to see if we can streamline things at all (this IS our first M rated game), but the rule is that any video that advertises an M rated product must ask the user for a date of birth.

• @_BrYan_ said: It's not US law, it's ESRB law.

Even small companies like us are on the ESRB radar, and we get fined big bucks for infractions. I'll speak with the web team to see if we can streamline things at all (this IS our first M rated game), but the rule is that any video that advertises an M rated product must ask the user for a date of birth.

Which is a pointless law since children can just as easily lie, but thanks for the response. Glad I know why this stuff happens at least.

• @_BrYan_ said: It's not US law, it's ESRB law.

In an unrelated note, what would happen if you DIDN'T have a thing to enter your B-Day for an M-rated game and then you were fined but DIDN'T pay the fine, what would happen? I know there are some obvious answers to this; but it's an intriguing subject that no one usually asks about so now's a better time than never, right?

• Odds are the ESRB wouldn't rate the game, which would mean Microsoft and Sony wouldn't carry it in their US marketplaces.

• I know that many other games are doing the same thing but doesn't learn more just sound extremely boring? Especially when thinking about a game my first thoughts aren't about that i want to learn something in the first place.

• It's really not that big of a deal, but thanks for the response. (I do check the website often, though!)

• I believe they've done the changes, if you're not logged in, it will ask you for your birth date, but if you're logged and you have a birth date that states you are older than 18, it won't ask again.

Thanks for listening!!!

This discussion has been closed.