User Avatar Image

Mass Effect Thread

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3

Just finished Mass Effect 3 and was having a great time until the last 5 minutes of the game.

The ending you get is probably the most depressing ending and since this is mass effect that´s probably the bad ending right ?

Nope all the endings are almost identical no matter what you do and the outrage on biowares forums are huge.

I would not mind a sad ending but there is no explanation to what happened this is the gaming equivalent to the sopranos ending.

Nothing is really resolved and there is not even an epilogue.

Oh well just look at biowares forums then you know

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index

359 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Vainamoinen said: And I repeat: the "indoctrination theory" would - if true - be even worse writing than what is presently there. Heck, it's bad fan fiction without the obligatory gay sex.

I completely agree.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Don't do that. It's not nice. :mad:

• The Indoctrination Theory makes a lot of sense when you look at some of the evidence that fans have turned up. There are several videos with very compelling arguments for it - several very well made videos. Don't dismiss it out of hand. If you don't like it, fine, but it's still better than the original ending and it would lead to a much more epic and fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

• @Darth Marsden said: The Indoctrination Theory makes a lot of sense when you look at some of the evidence that fans have turned up. There are several videos with very compelling arguments for it - several very well made videos. Don't dismiss it out of hand. If you don't like it, fine, but it's still better than the original ending and it would lead to a much more epic and fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

No, no it wouldn't make a fitting conclusion. Every video I've seen brings up the same points. All of which pretty much say that Shepard would've been indoctrinated since DAY ONE. I said it earlier, if that is true, then every decision you ever made in any of the games is completely pointless beyond all reason. And one of the worst arguments I've seen for the indoctrination theory was "OMG, there are shrubs on the ground before the beam to the Citadel, there are shrubs in Shepard's dream, he's indoctrinated, OMG!"

And Vaina, I honestly felt that my choices up to that point influenced my decision at the end. For instance, I didn't feel that a Commander Shepard who spent the entirety of Mass Effect 3 trying to shape peace between the races, give sentience to the geth, and help EDI discover her own "humanity" would be willing to sacrifice the geth and EDI just to kill the Reapers. That's not just collateral damage, that's backstabbing and twisting the knife.

• @Shadowknight1 said: No, no it wouldn't make a fitting conclusion. Every video I've seen brings up the same points. All of which pretty much say that Shepard would've been indoctrinated since DAY ONE. I said it earlier, if that is true, then every decision you ever made in any of the games is completely pointless beyond all reason. And one of the worst arguments I've seen for the indoctrination theory was "OMG, there are shrubs on the ground before the beam to the Citadel, there are shrubs in Shepard's dream, he's indoctrinated, OMG!"

I'd say it means that Shepard wasn't actually indoctrinated - YET. It depended on the decision you made at the end. The swirly eyes thing is a clue there.

Yeah, what actually happened in the finished product was a cop-out, but if done properly, you could have ended the game by accepting what the starchild says (and completing the indoctrination), which would have lead to one ending where you do something similar to the control or synthesis choices, or just shooting the kid (and rejecting the whole thing), which would have given you a different ending where you blow the whole thing to shit and end the Reaper threat entirely, possibly sacrificing yourself in the process.

Instead, we got three cookie-cutter endings that were essentially identical. Not so any more thanks to the extended cut, which fixed many issues, but we still got the starchild, and by this point he personified a lot of what was wrong with the ending. Like how Jar Jar represents the fuck-ups of The Phantom Menace.

And yes, the shrubbery thing was weak. Also, it brings to mind this.

The thing that pissed a lot of people off is the choices we made throughout the games did not affect the endings at all. Let's say you raised your war rating to its max level or something. If done properly, maybe that would have resulted in all the races you saved coming to help you destroy the Reapers. All it would have taken is a few clips of battle cruisers helping in the final battle, one for each race you helped.

And, just to really shut everyone up, how about this. If you barely helped anyone, Shepard died. If you helped loads of people, Shepard lived.

• @Darth Marsden said: Also, it brings to mind this.

Not available in my country? For what reason? Who cares. I have the DVD.

• @Darth Marsden said: And, just to really shut everyone up, how about this. If you barely helped anyone, Shepard died. If you helped loads of people, Shepard lived.

Isn't that what happens though? If your readiness is high enough, and choose "destroy", then Shepard lives in the end as you see him breathing afterwords. Which also helped the indoctrination theory out as it would be the ending the reapers wouldn't want Shepard to pick.

• I was referring to a more definitive 'survives and parties with all his buddies' approach, but yeah, forgot that.

• @Shadowknight1 said: No, no it wouldn't make a fitting conclusion. Every video I've seen brings up the same points. All of which pretty much say that Shepard would've been indoctrinated since DAY ONE.

That is not at all what the indoctrination theory says. The indoctrination theory posits that after so much contact with various reaper artifacts that they've finally started to worm their way into Shepard's mind. That's for Mass Effect 3 only. In none of the other games was he having weird freaky dreams or hearing voices. Furthermore it does not state that he had already been indoctrinated but that throughout the game they're slowly TRYING to indoctrinate him. Which ultimately culminates with his encounter with the starchild. That's the ultimate test to see whether they've won his mind.

If this theory is correct then there are a number of things that were planned/could be planned. Either they leave it like it is, which would be unsatisfying or... A potential IT DLC/ME4 that has you waking up on Earth and finishing the fight to destroy the reapers.

@Shadowknight1 said: For instance, I didn't feel that a Commander Shepard who spent the entirety of Mass Effect 3 trying to shape peace between the races, give sentience to the geth, and help EDI discover her own "humanity" would be willing to sacrifice the geth and EDI just to kill the Reapers. That's not just collateral damage, that's backstabbing and twisting the knife.

That right there highlights one of the massive failures of the ending. After doing all that why didn't Shepard argue with the starchild and point to his successes (if you managed them) with the Geth and the Quarians? No instead he just accepts everything the starchild says without a peep.

• I'm sorry, but the dreams are not a sign of indoctrination. It's simply the weight of the world on Shepard's shoulders. If you pay attention, most of the voices are from the past. Good example is after Mordin's death. The dream voices echo "Someone else might have gotten it wrong" over and over.

And what if Shepard pointed out the success with the geth? That wouldn't have changed anything.

Add Comment