User Avatar Image

Difficulty level of Episode 6

posted by Johnny Walker on - last edited - Viewed by 692 users

Ok, after all the complaints here on this forum about difficulty levels and how the other episodes have been "too easy" (especially the early ones), I'd have to say that Episode 6 was a definite return to the "old skool", edge-of-logic, 'I'm completely stuck' territory.... Is this what people wanted?

I personally think it was too hard. It didn't spoil the game for me because I knew it was the end of the Season and I was up for anything, but if all the games had been that hard, I don't think I would have bothered. Wandering around being stuck, randomly trying things, is NOT fun (I'm sure Dave Grossman would agree). I ended up looking at hints on this forum about three times... Simply because I couldn't be bothered being stuck any longer.

I didn't notice that the bowling ball was resting on a "spoon" for instance. It made sense to me to use Bosco's "Earthquake Maker" to knock the bowling ball onto the switch... except Sybil wouldn't buy the US. Maybe scare her with the rat? Maybe scare Bosco's Mother with the rat? No.... I got completely stuck.

The same goes for Max's stomach (although the solution was pretty ingenious) and the final "battle"... (I needed the hint to sabotage another trick whilst being on another).

So, what did everyone feel about this new difficulty level? Did anyone here actually complete the game without looking at ANY hints? Do some people wish that all the episodes were this hard... or do many people think that this one was just a little too much?

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The only thing that bugged me was the final puzzle, which was just a bit frustrating due to the constant moving from one trick to another. Everything before that seemed fairly straightforward and logical to me.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I completed the game without looking outside of the game for hints. I used Max for hints several times though.

It's not because I didn't want outside hints, though. I went to go look on the forum for hints, but there were none at the time I looked (as I got the game from GameTap on the day of release). So I was forced to actually change my way of thinking about puzzles. That's the thing about the game. As hard as some of the puzzles were, all of them made logical sense.

• I haven't used a hint for any of the games, and have never even considered it. I haven't been stuck very often, although when I do it's a welcome opportunity to actually think about the puzzle for a bit and explore the game a bit more, which isn't boring because it inevitably reveals a few jokes I'd missed before. I still say make it harder!

Sounds like you took the right approach with the bowling ball - you had an idea and pursued it. I actually thought precisely the same thing as you about the earthquake maker to begin with, but when nothing you try works it can be a sign to come up with another inspiration, not stick stubbornly to an incorrect one.

I don't pretend to understand people who want an interactive movie out of Sam and Max. To me, that may as well be a matter of clicking to see the next scene for all the thought it entails. Puzzles make the game more entertaining, and hard puzzles make it more rewarding. The thing is, no-one who jumps to the walkthrough every time they get a little bit stuck is ever going to get the hang of solving more difficult problems, so kick the habit and if you don't enjoy the interactive element in the first place, stick to the cartoons and comics.

• I've played Hit the Road so I was used to using that kind of logic. The trick is to try everything that has even the slightest chance of working. If you can do it, do it! You also have to make sure that you have seen everything that is on the screen. It was still much easier then the original game because there were less locations.

• @All hail Max said: I've played Hit the Road so I was used to using that kind of logic. The trick is to try everything that has even the slightest chance of working. If you can do it, do it! You also have to make sure that you have seen everything that is on the screen. It was still much easier then the original game because there were less locations.

This isn't really "problem solving" though, is it? :)

• Being stuck in an adventure game is part of the fun. That's the challenge in adventure games, if the puzzles aren't hard, then they're not really games at all.. more like interactive storybooks.

Gamers have grown too impatient these days ;)

You should never bother to play any of the old-school classic adventure games, if you think Episode 6 is too hard, I can guarantee you that they would frustrate you to no end (especially the Sierra ones) :)

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

@Armakuni said: Being stuck in an adventure game is part of the fun.

Maybe for some (not me usually).

• I meant for myself, I can't speak for everyone obviously :)

Personally I need challenge in a game, pretty much regardless of the genre. If I can just walk through a game without any real obstacles, I don't consider it much of a game. Of couse it might very well be a good story but that's pretty much it.

I hope they make the next season even harder than Episode 6.

• @Armakuni said: Gamers have grown too impatient these days ;)

Absolutely! If people don't want to think, they shouldn't play a game with puzzles in it. Playing games you enjoy makes more sense than changing those you hate until they agree with you.

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

Well, when I am going through a time where my mental energy is being expended on other things, I don't typically play adventure games. What I loved about the first season is that the games were shorter and weren't super hard. I've been struggling to finish full length games as of late because when I do get stuck or when I get busy, they get put aside but it hasn't happened with the Sam & Max episodes (and they've been a great way to do something non-science related).

Add Comment