Menu
User Avatar Image

Game making!

posted by Baarden on - last edited - Viewed by 924 users

I recently started to write a script for an animated game, which is building up pretty fluently towards a solid and exciting story, eventhough I'm writing in english, and that's not my primary language.

I was just an hour ago smoking a cigar outside, and I had a idea: What if I made the game based on my script, instead of just writing a script for it, and marketing it forward. I am pretty good at drawing, and I immediately called my friend who is even better, and has somewhat of an animator-background.

I've been always a huge fan of the Monkey Island -game serie, especially the third one; 'The Curse of Monkey Island'. I've always found that cartoony, yet not-childish, style very appealing, and I thought if someone happened to know...

- Which softwares did they use making that game?

- Presuming the programs they've used then are outdated, are there any similar, possibly easier to use too, programs?

I've been searching the web, but didn't find any useful info...
Also if you can name any other programs, those would be suitable, useful or even necessary for making a game in such style as CMI, please feel free to flap your gums :)

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Baarden said: I recently started to write a script for an animated game, which is building up pretty fluently towards a solid and exciting story, eventhough I'm writing in english, and that's not my primary language.

I was just an hour ago smoking a cigar outside, and I had a idea: What if I made the game based on my script, instead of just writing a script for it, and marketing it forward. I am pretty good at drawing, and I immediately called my friend who is even better, and has somewhat of an animator-background.

I've been always a huge fan of the Monkey Island -game serie, especially the third one; 'The Curse of Monkey Island'. I've always found that cartoony, yet not-childish, style very appealing, and I thought if someone happened to know...

- Which softwares did they use making that game?

- Presuming the programs they've used then are outdated, are there any similar, possibly easier to use too, programs?

I've been searching the web, but didn't find any useful info...
    Also if you can name any other programs, those would be suitable, useful or even necessary for making a game in such style as CMI, please feel free to flap your gums :)

If you want to make SCUMM-styled games, then I suggest you look for AGS.

Adventure Game Studio
    http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

Its a little old, but a lot of adventure games are made with it.
    (Probably one of the easiest ones too. Don't have to worry too much about coding, at least from what I've seen)

EDIT: Daishi has been making an adventure game. Maybe you could ask him for some advice.
    (He probably will end up posting here anyway, but if he doesn't then you PM him or something)

• Some modern indie adventure games (like almost all of WadjetEye games) are made using AGS, so that's a safe bet, even if you're making commercially available games.

• @RetroVortex said: If you want to make SCUMM-styled games, then I suggest you look for AGS.

Adventure Game Studio

(Probably one of the easiest ones too. Don't have to worry too much about coding, at least from what I've seen)

EDIT: Daishi has been making an adventure game. Maybe you could ask him for some advice.
    (He probably will end up posting here anyway, but if he doesn't then you PM him or something)

Thank you very much RetroVortex!
    That sure seems like a pretty darn good program. That one just might be it, but for an additional question:

- What would be my choice if I wanted to make a HD-quality CMIish game?

But yeah, AGS became a serious candidate. You obviously can make a CMI-quality game with this program, as I checked out the game 'Journey of Iesir', that's entirely made with AGS.

• While AGS is certainly the most versatile engine out there, the Wintermute Engine might be worth a look as well.

• Say! I've been trying to make adventure games as well! But none of them... has ever come to fruition.... I'm a permanent resident of development hell, you might say. :(

• @Laserschwert said: While AGS is certainly the most versatile engine out there, the Wintermute Engine might be worth a look as well.

Yep. Those two are basically the viable options. I started making an adventure game using AGS, so I can vouch for that; it's relatively easy to use and is fully suited to making a classic Scumm style of game.

Regarding replicating the graphical style of 'The Curse of Monkey Island', the hard part will be drawing backgrounds of that caliber. Once that's done you can scan it in and set the resolution to whatever pleases you.

One more word of advice, I strongly recommend that you start by making a very simple adventure game. A game consisting of one or two rooms and only a few puzzles. If you jump in at the deep end and try to create an epic, then you're liable to lose interest and scrap the project.

• @RetroVortex said: If you want to make SCUMM-styled games, then I suggest you look for AGS.

Adventure Game Studio

Did somebody ring?

No better a time to remind people of this thread:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22454&page=17

AGS is pretty much the go to. However if you're serious about it, Wintermute does everything AGS will and more.

@RetroVortex said:

One more word of advice, I strongly recommend that you start by making a very simple adventure game. A game consisting of one or two rooms and only a few puzzles. If you jump in at the deep end and try to create an epic, then you're liable to lose interest and scrap the project.

This is very true. I think the only reason I've had the willpower to keep on is because I've already had the willpower to do many other challenging things, like my PhD and such.

• Thanks so much guys for your replies!

I'll definitely be checking out the Wintermute Engine also, since it also seems to be free and allowed for making commercial games!
    - Btw, can you make HD with Wintermute?
    And yeah, we surely will make some smaller games at first for the sake of practice, since we've never made anything even remotely like an adventure game before.

I hope we can make this game happen.
    Though, I won't be abandoning this thread just yet; I might (and propably will) have some questions for you in the near future.

And I'll be keeping an eye on Daishi's game ;)

• Probably better to check out their website for technical details.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

There's also SLUDGE, which has been getting a lot of enhancement since it's gone open source. This engine definitely supports HD graphics, as you can create a game with a resolution up to 1280x1024 (and it has the ability to scale the graphics down (or up) to a user's native resolution).

Add Comment