User Avatar Image

Edna would have known everything in the final timeline...

posted by sn939 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I think I've brought up this point in other threads long ago, but I thought its best to list all the evidence and put it all comprehensively together-

1. By the end of Ep 5, Edna knows that the Delorean was a time machine, and that 'Sonny Crockett' (or whoever), as well as 'Carl Sagan' are time travelers from the future.

2. If Edna was out of prison in 1955 (very likely), she would probably have heard about sightings of a strange car which appeared out of nowhere (most notably on the Peabody farm)...it wouldn't have taken much for her to figure out it was the Delorean. Also, by now, her ex-boyfriend Emmett would really have started to resemble 'Carl Sagan'...so she just MIGHT have started to suspect a connection...

3. Edna marries Kid Tannen at some point, and becomes Biff's stepmother. Now I don't how relations may have been between them, but if Biff confided in her at any point, his interactions with 'Calvin Klien', and his encounter with an old man who gave him an Almanac from the future...she would have been able to piece together a lot more and possibly deduce that both Calvin Klien and the old man were time travelers (and that Calvin, who lived with Emmett for a while, may well have been 'Sonny Crockett'-this would heighten her suspicions that Emmett was/will be the mysterious Carl Sagan).

4. By the 1980's, I'm pretty sure she would have figured everything. She would have met Marty McFly (after all, her step-son worked for the McFly's) and definitely noticed the resemblance to Sonny Crockett. Emmett would be identical to Carl Sagan. She might recognize Einstien as the same dog who stole her shoe in 1931. And if she saw the Delorean around...that would clinch matters...

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Easy solution. When in prison they convinced her she was crazy and she thought she just made it all up or hallucinated it.

• @Tornreaper said: Easy solution. When in prison they convinced her she was crazy and she thought she just made it all up or hallucinated it.

Yeah i think thats the logical explanation. She probably did spout drivel about time travel and was sent to a mental institution. Not that anyone who claimed to have time traveled today would be believed but in 1931 that concept wasn't even well known in fiction. So she was likely brainwashed to believe she hallucinated it. I doubt her photographic memory would remember Doc and Marty's looks by 20-50 years later.

Mind you if Biff did start talking to her in 1955 then they could put 2 and 2 together especially since both saw the flying DeLorean.

• I think it'd be a little hard to forget a car like the DeLorean, especially considering what it put her through. If she did remember she probably figured out who Doc was, considering he just left it parked on the freakin street.

• I also stand by statement (In another thread) about forgetting these events over time without having reminders on the way. Especially for 55 years.

But memory is a tricky thing to debate. Biff recalls the flying DeLorean after seeing another one in 2015. But Edna doesn't recall the DeLorean even though the logical conclusion is that she thinks she made it up. It's very inconsistent.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Tornreaper said: I also stand by statement (In another thread) about forgetting these events over time without having reminders on the way. Especially for 55 years.

But memory is a tricky thing to debate. Biff recalls the flying DeLorean after seeing another one in 2015. But Edna doesn't recall the DeLorean even though the logical conclusion is that she thinks she made it up. It's very inconsistent.

Biff remembers the flying DeLorean because DeLoreans existed (not in flying form) in 1985. When he saw one flying in 2015 it jogged his memory. Hence he remembered it as "a flying DeLorean" not the flying DeLorean.

There was nothing like the DeLorean in 1931, so she doesn't have a reference point. And like the others have stated, she was probably put in a mental institution, which were quite hostile in 1931.

I can speak from personal experience that traumatic events can cause you to be completely block out your memories. You don't remember they happened at all until your mind subconsciously feels its no longer in danger (usually years later, and sometimes never at all).

I'm not sure what Edna's trigger would be, but for me even walking past the place where I was hurt didn't cause any memories to come back. So, it's very plausible that Edna wouldn't put two and two together, especially since the events happened 55 years ago.

• I just remembered something. Remember when the timeline caught up Edna's DeLorean and Kid Tannen seen it so that means Kid would have known or he just forgot

• @Jennifer said: Biff remembers the flying DeLorean because DeLoreans existed (not in flying form) in 1985. When he saw one flying in 2015 it jogged his memory. Hence he remembered it as "a flying DeLorean" not the flying DeLorean.

There was nothing like the DeLorean in 1931, so she doesn't have a reference point. And like the others have stated, she was probably put in a mental institution, which were quite hostile in 1931.

I can speak from personal experience that traumatic events can cause you to be completely block out your memories. You don't remember they happened at all until your mind subconsciously feels its no longer in danger (usually years later, and sometimes never at all).

I'm not sure what Edna's trigger would be, but for me even walking past the place where I was hurt didn't cause any memories to come back. So, it's very plausible that Edna wouldn't put two and two together, especially since the events happened 55 years ago.

Great point. Plus biff wasn't in jail or a mental institution for those 30 years while Edna was likely in both and essentially brainwashed to suppress those memories. Though I do wonder if Danny Parker is still alive in the 1980's would he remember seeing a DeLorean 50 years earlier?

• I wonder if Kid remembers seeing the Delorean dissapper

• @ryannumber1gamer said: I wonder if Kid remembers seeing the Delorean dissapper

Doubtful. the same theory of Edna being convinced she is crazy could be applied to kid.

• Yes but you forget Danny seen it dissapper twice. First time was when he seen Marty dissapper in it and Second time was when Edna dissappered in it

Add Comment