User Avatar Image

Poor quality audio yet again/ issue resolved

posted by Pegglef on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Okay, seriously, why does every single TTG game series have absolutely god-awful scratchy audio of late? I love your games to death, but the low quality audio completely breaks the experience for me every time.

I first noticed it in BTTF and figured it was a bug. I chose to ignore it at the time and assume you guys would fix it for the next series. Nope! Really, you need to stop doing this - disfiguring the solid voice acting in your series with overcompression or whatever it is that's causing the distortion. I admit I'm not an audio buff. I honestly don't care if the download is massively larger (with high quality audio) if it means my gameplay experience isn't tarnished by it.

Thanks for reading. Keep up the excellent work, TTG, and fix that darn audio!

88 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Pegglef said: Okay, seriously, why does every single TTG game series have absolutely god-awful scratchy audio of late? I love your games to death, but the low quality audio completely breaks the experience for me every time.

I first noticed it in BTTF and figured it was a bug. I chose to ignore it at the time and assume you guys would fix it for the next series. Nope! Really, you need to stop doing this - disfiguring the solid voice acting in your series with overcompression or whatever it is that's causing the distortion. I admit I'm not an audio buff. I honestly don't care if the download is massively larger (with high quality audio) if it means my gameplay experience isn't tarnished by it.

Thanks for reading. Keep up the excellent work, TTG, and fix that darn audio!

Yeah thats the thing that killed jp for me was the glitchy audio.

• Maybe your integrated audio just sucks? BttF had fine sound for me, both PC and PS3

• @ADavidson said: Maybe your integrated audio just sucks? BttF had fine sound for me, both PC and PS3

Nope. 5.1 audio through a sound blaster x-fi sound card. Why, what is your setup that you aren't getting any distortion?

To be specific, the distortion I'm talking about occurs most noticeably during voice-over lines, not during music or general sound effects.

• Well I can't speak for TWD cuz I can't even download it yet lol

I use HDMI output from my GTX 560Ti 2Win card to my TV, and also from TV through optical audio cable to my 5.1Ch receiver when I want it loud.

Could be I just didn't notice in BttF tho, I didn't play JP

• @Pegglef said: Nope. 5.1 audio through a sound blaster x-fi sound card. Why, what is your setup that you aren't getting any distortion?

To be specific, the distortion I'm talking about occurs most noticeably during voice-over lines, not during music or general sound effects.

You have a problem somewhere on your system. While I give you the fact that JP had bad audio in places I have played through every episode of BTTF without a hiccup. It had flawless sound. So something wasn't working right for you there.

• BTW I use a sound card as well.

• Alot of times people have 2 sound programs on their machines and tend to have them both working at the same time sometimes it will cause problems go into your hardware device manager make sure you just got one if you got more than 2 disable one maybe even try the update may need to update your sound driver.

• Could just be bad audio cable or speakers. Do other games sound bad too? There's always a myriad of possibilities when it comes to hardware(and software) problems

• The problem was very present on Tales (first 2 episodes - well the second one was patched and gives a slightly better audio). The problem lies during the hiss sounds. Too much compression and even the word "hiss" will sounds like "hisshch"

• @Dameon2k said: You have a problem somewhere on your system. While I give you the fact that JP had bad audio in places I have played through every episode of BTTF without a hiccup. It had flawless sound. So something wasn't working right for you there.

So while I have zero sound issues with every single game I own (hundreds, including some with heavy v/o work such as bioware's games) the only games I ever experience distortion with are TTG. That seems to suggest the problem is on their end rather than mine. I've already updated to the latest audio drivers and versions of software for various audio devices.

Edit: That said, I will try weeding out double instances of running audio software, as suggested by Goldrock.

After poking around these forums a bit, I understand TTG has a history of crap audio quality, and that enough people complained about it for S&M s3 to get it changed, but that TTG went right back to over-compression for the series released after that.

Are you folks who are playing it without any distortion doing so using laptop speakers or onboard PC audio? I'm curious what setups the v/o audio quality is optimized for that allows you to get a good gameplay experience.

Add Comment