User Avatar Image

Need Inverted Controls Option

posted by Ducksditch on - last edited - Viewed by 14.2K users

I am not sure what is wrong with my brain but I have to be able to invert the up/down settings on video games. I am sure there are many others like me who push up on the right stick and expect the cursor to plummet to the bottom of the screen and if it doesn't, we pause our brand new game and fix this in the options menu. Some of you may go further and actually look for this option before even launching the game. So why is it that The Walking Dead game does not have this simple option?
Does Telltale not understand how crippling not having this option is to someone like me? I watched all the trailers and the "Playing Dead" episodes before trying the demo. I was blown away by the whole concept only to be left deflated when I assumed control of Lee and couldn't maneuver him properly. I kept thinking "uh oh, what's going to happen when I have to fend off a zombie in a split second?" Sure enough I found my self frantically focusing on the controls instead of frantically focusing on Lee's survival.
I see the potential and to me the game looks and feels stunning. It is truly a comic book brought to life but instead of being immersed in the beautifully crafted world I am all consumed in trying to make the cursor go where I desperately want it to go. So, please Telltale, if you are reading this, please put in a simple patch to fix this huge issue for those of us that are "axis challenged". I want to love playing this game as much as you loved making it. Please....

378 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I prefer inverted too. I started up the game and the first time I had to move, I paused and went looking for control options to invert.

Anyone who ever played a flight sim or an FPS on the PC will have adopted the inverted Y axis mode.

• Besides the grand total of 3 relatively short FPS style sequences, this a point and click game. You are not controlling the camera, it just broadly follows the cursor. Inverts are usually not required in these styles of games, from what I've seen.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, customization options are always nice and should always be included whenever possible, but the fact it wasn't here is most certainly not game breaking due to it being a point and click, and not a FPS. It seems much more like a minor inconvenience. Maybe it's just me, but i find it extremely easy to very quickly adapt to both inverted and normal controls in any and every game. I've only been playing since the 90s, but as long as i can remember, it's always been this easy.

Regardless, the development on the game is finished. It is very unlikely that inverted controls will be added. Hopefully they will for season 2.

• @Mornai said: Besides the grand total of 3 relatively short FPS style sequences, this a point and click game. You are not controlling the camera, it just broadly follows the cursor. Inverts are usually not required in these styles of games, from what I've seen.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, customization options are always nice and should always be included whenever possible, but the fact it wasn't here is most certainly not game breaking due to it being a point and click, and not a FPS. It seems much more like a minor inconvenience. Maybe it's just me, but i find it extremely easy to very quickly adapt to both inverted and normal controls in any and every game. I've only been playing since the 90s, but as long as i can remember, it's always been this easy.

Regardless, the development on the game is finished. It is very unlikely that inverted controls will be added. Hopefully they will for season 2.

I guess I did say FPS. It's applicable for third person, too. When I want to pan up to open cabinet, etc. it would be easier if it was inverted. Clearly you're unaffected by it so your opinion on this matter carries little weight.

Think of it this way. Let's say you were going to play a sport that required throwing a ball (baseball, football, whatever) but you were only allowed to throw with your non-dominate hand. It would be extremely frustrating, no? Especially if EVERY OTHER SPORT gave you the option to throw with either hand. The same applies to TWD. Every other game on the market allows for y inversion. There is no good excuse to exclude the option.

Though I do agree with you that it will probably never be fixed since millions of discs have been pressed as-is.

• @Mornai said: Regardless, the development on the game is finished. It is very unlikely that inverted controls will be added. Hopefully they will for season 2.

They told Kotaku that they would be adding it. They have so far failed to deliver on that promise.

• You promised you would Patch Inverted Controls into the game-publicly.

"Kotaku's own Kirk Hamilton asked about inverted camera controls. He was told then that Telltale was planning to patch it in" source

So far you have yet to deliver. The exclusion of this very basic setting (a setting that existed long before the games current option on the matter) is making an otherwise great game unplayable.

Please make good on your word and patch this in.

• Telltale has promised patches for many things and failed to deliver. This is a prime example of their rather shady practice of sweeping known issues under the rug because they already have your paid money for a game with known issues.

This way the gaming press reports that Telltale is actively motivated to fix their products, but in reality Telltale doesn't deliver anything and no-one is the wiser.

Well customers who buy their games and face problems sure feel dumb, but again Telltale already pocketed their profits from deceived gamers.

• @Kill Kayt said: They told Kotaku that they would be adding it. They have so far failed to deliver on that promise.

I know. It's frustrating. Good game, but would be much better if I could control it and not die 100 times before finally getting it.

• @Mornai said: Besides the grand total of 3 relatively short FPS style sequences, this a point and click game. You are not controlling the camera, it just broadly follows the cursor. Inverts are usually not required in these styles of games, from what I've seen.

You realize this stopped becoming a point and click the moment they launched it on a medium that doesn't have a mouse pointer and mouse button.

It baffles me that TTG never bumped into this problem with their other games. Is The Walking Dead their first console game? Do they realize consoles have different input mechanisms than PC's?

I think the saddest part of this is that TTG publicly announced that they would look to add an invert option back around Episode 2. I don't know why they'd bother to get people's hopes up for a feature they obviously had no intention to provide. Somehow they were able to go gold with a Packaged retail disc and not add a feature they said they'd try to deliver.

• Also waiting for this as well. But, us "inverts" are slowly turning into an endangered species ever since CoD, so I don't think they'll be too inclined to fix something that will only satisfy about 100 of us.

• CoD has an invert joystick option? Not sure what you're talking about.

I think about 5% of gamers use inverted. Definitely enough to warrant keeping the feature on the table.

This discussion has been closed.