User Avatar Image

Need Inverted Controls Option

posted by Ducksditch on - last edited - Viewed by 13.4K users

I am not sure what is wrong with my brain but I have to be able to invert the up/down settings on video games. I am sure there are many others like me who push up on the right stick and expect the cursor to plummet to the bottom of the screen and if it doesn't, we pause our brand new game and fix this in the options menu. Some of you may go further and actually look for this option before even launching the game. So why is it that The Walking Dead game does not have this simple option?
Does Telltale not understand how crippling not having this option is to someone like me? I watched all the trailers and the "Playing Dead" episodes before trying the demo. I was blown away by the whole concept only to be left deflated when I assumed control of Lee and couldn't maneuver him properly. I kept thinking "uh oh, what's going to happen when I have to fend off a zombie in a split second?" Sure enough I found my self frantically focusing on the controls instead of frantically focusing on Lee's survival.
I see the potential and to me the game looks and feels stunning. It is truly a comic book brought to life but instead of being immersed in the beautifully crafted world I am all consumed in trying to make the cursor go where I desperately want it to go. So, please Telltale, if you are reading this, please put in a simple patch to fix this huge issue for those of us that are "axis challenged". I want to love playing this game as much as you loved making it. Please....

378 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I am also requesting y-axis inversion in (at least) future installments.
    I get really tired of hearing how something is wrong with me because that's what I need to play.
    IT IS NO DIFFERENT THAN BEING LEFT-HANDED!
    On PC, the regular view is fine, but with a gamepad I fumble through and always point in the wrong vertical direction.

Actually, the controls could stand to have a comprehensive review. Using the face buttons on a gamepad seems a bit silly. Why not map those same actions to the shoulder buttons? That would facilitate moving, looking, and action simultaneously.

• @SpiritBoy said: What's so hard in moving your mouse to the left and assume that the camera/character/whatever moves to the left? is it so so damn difficult?

Your such a nugget its the up down axis not the left right one ..

• No invert option, I wont be buying any more episodes, shame as it was a good game apart from this stupid design decision.

Just made an account to say this.

• I am so angry about this. I have no way to get a refund, and can barely play this game. It is so unprofessional to leave this standard option out of a game. I am also angry that I have no recourse except to to post on this forum. I would have at least expected some form of response from Tell Tale, but I don't even have that. . .

• they are so cowards that they do not show up to give us some explanations.

I want to kill myself for buying the season pass of this garbage!!!!

• Signed up to sign here.

A Y-Axis invert is needed.

I liked the game, or at least the trial part, was actually all ready to unlock the whole Episode after the short intro, but then I moved the cursor and it was all wrong. Went to the options and was amazed not to find anything there. :(
    In fact, I spent a few minutes going through the menu and the options because I could not believe I was unable to find the "Invert Y-Axis" option.

I simply will not buy anything that does not allow me to Invert the Y Axis. It's a pity, but with the controls like that, I cannot enjoy the game. Not at all.

I'm kinda :( but also kinda :mad: . Maybe most of all :confused:

If they fix this, and not just on future episodes but this one, I'll buy it, and gladly. But if they won't... well, my dog will find a way to spend that money, I'm sure.

• :mad:

Like everyone else I am unable to play what looks to be an AMAZING game!!!

Being a fan of the show....
    (like a fool) I didnt even bother with the demo!! I just went straight for the $20 all season pass....

I mean come on...its the walking dead!

All the fans want more walking dead!! PLUS the creator is involved so it was a no brainer for me...

I should have just burned my $20!! I keep trying to play but I ALWAYS resort to my original game-play style.

For those of you who do not need an inverted look posting on this topic is TOTALLY pointless and a waste of both our times!!!! So shoooo!!

I stopped after shooting the officer's head off.....I cannot continue this game...I want to try but I'm PRAYING telltale will HEAR US or at least respond to us on if they plan a patch or not??

Im forcing my poor wife to play right now just so I can see it hahaha but she stopped out of fear....

We are not saying the game its self is bad, looks quite good

We are saying WE NEED an invert-Y option to enjoy your game!!

As of right now it looks like you are making some easy $ out of us old school gamers and getting a lot of new subscribers to your website ...

ps3 user

• Okay, I posted in here already, but after seeing the amount of hate and tantrum-throwing going on in the last couple pages, I feel like I need to come to Telltale's defense a bit.

I used to be stuck as an inverted control gamer, too. I eventually got myself used to "standard" aiming since these days it seems to be used more in games that forget to include both options (funny, because I remember it usually being the other way around even in the ps2/gamecube/xbox console generation). You guys who think it's impossible to switch or temporarily get used to standard aiming, it's really not. Annoying, yes. But not as terrible as you seem to think it is, and not worth screaming your heads off at the developers about. It's also not worth skipping this game over, especially since it doesn't even require the type of quick reflexes needed for most action games (yes, even in the "QTE" scenes).

That being said, it'd really be great if Telltale would include an invert camera option, and I absolutely agree with you that they should add it in a patch.

But guys, please try to calm down and not let something that minor (minor for this game anyway) spoil your experience. Those of you who asked for inverted controls politely can ignore my condescending remarks, as it doesn't apply to you. :)

• @OMA said: In this case, you can fix this problem with a $10 third party tool called XPadder:
    http://xpadder.com/

With that tool you'll be able to reconfigure your gamepad to your liking (ANY gamepad, not just the XBox 360 controller; I don't know why every developer now assumes that PC gamers will only use the 360 controller).

Have you actually tried it with this game? I have and it hasn't helped. It seems to be more applicable to games with no gamepad support rather than trying to override whatever was built in. Perhaps it's just me but even if I tell it to "Invert RY" on stick 2 of my 360 controller the game ignores it. Even better, it takes the Xpadder profile and un-inverts it, for lack of a better term.

Any tips for getting this to actually work?

• @Epic Kiwi said: Okay, I posted in here already, but after seeing the amount of hate and tantrum-throwing going on in the last couple pages, I feel like I need to come to Telltale's defense a bit.

I used to be stuck as an inverted control gamer, too. I eventually got myself used to "standard" aiming since these days it seems to be used more in games that forget to include both options (funny, because I remember it usually being the other way around even in the ps2/gamecube/xbox console generation). You guys who think it's impossible to switch or temporarily get used to standard aiming, it's really not. Annoying, yes. But not as terrible as you seem to think it is, and not worth screaming your heads off at the developers about. It's also not worth skipping this game over, especially since it doesn't even require the type of quick reflexes needed for most action games (yes, even in the "QTE" scenes).

That being said, it'd really be great if Telltale would include an invert camera option, and I absolutely agree with you that they should add it in a patch.

But guys, please try to calm down and not let something that minor (minor for this game anyway) spoil your experience. Those of you who asked for inverted controls politely can ignore my condescending remarks, as it doesn't apply to you. :)

Well, instead of struggling through the game to get the experience, I can just watch it on youtube and skip the bad controls part. Us inverts get to save our money, the youtubers get extra hits on their channels and telltale doesn't have to hassle itself with putting in proper control options. Win-win-win!

This discussion has been closed.