User Avatar Image

Why I am dissappointed with the Episode-Model

posted by dubesor on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Hello there, I bought the game because it looked cool and started playing. TBH I didn't do much research on the episodes or lenght of the game etc. I started playing at roughly 4pm. 2 Hours later I was done. Don't get me wrong the game was great and all but it was just far too short and leaves me with a disgusting taste. I don't want to wait for 1 or 2 months or however long every time for ONLY playing 2 hours. That's kind of ridicilous.

I told 2 of my friends about the game and they want to buy it too but I adviced them to wait until ALL GAME has been released in its entirely and THEN buy it. I would certainly have donew that if I knew beforehand. I mean 2 hours is just too short no matter if the game is great. I felt really empty and Like "WTF? that was IT??!" after finishing the episode after such an ridicilously short amount of time.

Any one else feels the same kind of frustration?

158 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

You will find your supporters here, no doubt.

But when you look at their register dates, you might find that they are mostly entirely new to the concept of episodic gaming. First they're shocked, and some really do start to wait until a Season is finished before they buy. But a lot of community members, especially in these forums, have understood what this is all about. The wait, anticipation, discussion, guesses, the immediate feedback to and from the makers of the game while it is still in progress, all these things are merits of the episodic gaming concept.

As I said before, you've come to what could more or less be considered the home of episodic gaming. The concept works great, it is unlikely to be changed. ;)

• @Vainamoinen said: But when you look at their register dates, you might find that they are mostly entirely new to the concept of episodic gaming.

That's a bad point. I registered today but I have played MANY episodic games before even from telltale games (Hector, Puzzle Agent, Monkey Island & Sam&Max). I am NOT new. But this was the first time (maybe because It is one hard connecting story) I felt REALLY empty after finishing an episode. Not so with any other episodic games, which felt like games on their own, and completing them had a feel of satisfaction to it.

Now, I just feel bad. To be continued... TBH I wouldn't mind if the episodes were longer. Like 10 hours each.And less episodes. Or more expensive. I dunno, but I am very unhappy about it.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Yeah, that was a pretty dismissive point and I apologize for it.

Nonetheless - the cliffhanger is undoubtedly THE key feature of Telltale's episodes, don't you think? As for the emptiness, I can see that too, but it might come with the franchise. It IS a pretty depressing scenario. And it will not end well this time.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Telltale's releases are like playable television shows (and if I remember correctly, that's always what Telltale was aiming for based on early interviews with Telltale CEO Dan Connors). They're usually about 2-3 hours of gameplay per episode, which is about what you'd expect for the interactive television model.

I agree it's a bit different than Telltale's other games in that the episodes aren't really self-contained, so it's a bit different of a feeling in finishing the game than Sam & Max. Though, the Walking Dead television show is the same way (at least from the first season episodes I've seen), so it fits for the license.

• i love episodic games add alot of immerion in many ways its like playing a tv series the game too short? naw each episode is like 5 bucks man what do you expect for 5 dollars in a game! look at it this way a hour and half dvd costs like 20 bucks. This entire game with all 5 episode when they come out will be at least a 10+ hour game ill predict the finale will be a bit longer than 2 but thats just a guess.

• I agree the episodes should be longer a piece or the wait between them should be decreased. Even if the cost had to increase I wouldn't mind. I am all for this episodic gaming however having such little content to play through and such a large gap between each is just pitiful. It's all fine and well comparing the game to a TV show, but it's not a TV show, it's a game. And most if not all TV shows won't air an episode a month.

On a semi-related note, why must American TV shows insist on astronomical gaps between seasons (series)? I can appreciate some shows can take a lot of time and effort to produce, but come on now. The walking dead season 2 finished up and isn't due back for 6 months, season 1 finished and wasn't due back for a year!

Here in the UK you could quite easily see 4 seasons of a show release in a year.

• I just wish the cliffhanger for this episode beat "The power goes out"!

What kind of cliffhanger/ending is that?

Telltale:
    A character becoming godzilla!
    The main character dieing!
    The main characters seeing THEIR OWN corpses!

Walking Dead:
    The numerious death
    Someone shouting out that THEY are the Walking Dead, NOT the walkers!
    So many scenarios of near-death I can't even pick to list!

Combine the two:
    Power goes out...

• Dude, if you are a fan of the comic then you know that you have to bear the burden of waiting for agonizing weeks between episodes. TWD issues always end with a cliff hanger. It's just part of the series and I think TTG has done a good job so far of translating those feelings into the game.

• Me thinks that they drag on the release of each episode to get the customers excited and hyped up. I know I'am!

I do wish each episode was longer but oh well, we'll just have to wait.

• @Maximuswood said: Me thinks that they drag on the release of each episode to get the customers excited and hyped up. I know I'am!

I do wish each episode was longer but oh well, we'll just have to wait.

You have to admit though. Hype IS free advertisement. Episodic gaming like this is just brewing up more hype for the public.

Add Comment