User Avatar Image

The Big ScummVM and ResidualVM Thread

posted by Jennifer on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

There's been quite a few threads about specific games in ScummVM and ResidualVM, but never one all-encompassing thread, so I figured I'd make one since ScummVM and ResidualVM are ever-evolving. :)

I'm a huge fan of the 2D adventure game program ScummVM and it's sister project for 3D adventures, ResidualVM (and the sister project ScummVM-Misc which includes an engine for text adventures made with Inform) by extension. So much so that I actually prefer to play adventure games through these programs. :)

I enjoy testing out engines as they're WIP, and there's often some times when the engines play straight through to completion long before they're added to a stable release. I'm playing through Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers in ScummVM right now, and it works really well despite being WIP, and I played through Grim Fandango in ResidualVM before it received a stable release.

I've played ScummVM on Windows, Linux, BeOS, GP32, Dreamcast, Wii, and iPad and ResidualVM on Windows and Linux. :D

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've never heard of residualvm before.

I've got scummVM on my tablet with curse of mi. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the controls from virtual touch pad (the whole screen is a mouse) to actual touch?

• I always wondered if there was a ScummVM for 3D games. Shame it's still in early stages, I could have used it for Journeyman Project 3 (it's only 1% compatible).

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Friar said: I've got scummVM on my tablet with curse of mi. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the controls from virtual touch pad (the whole screen is a mouse) to actual touch?

What kind of tablet do you have? On iPad you can toggle touchpad mode by holding one finger on the screen and swiping another finger from left to right.

On Android, you apparently toggle between touch-pad and direct mode by configuring the "Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode" on the MIDI tab from the "options" button in ScummVM's menu (since the android port currently lacks its own configuration dialog).

Some info about the iPhone/iPad port can be found here.
    Some info about the Android port can be found here.

@Friar said: I've never heard of residualvm before.

It's a ScummVM sister project for 3D adventure games that uses the same GUI and has the same codebase framework as ScummVM. It used to be a sub-project called Residual, but the sourcecode was moved from the ScummVM repository.

There is only official Amiga, Windows, Mac, and Linux support at the moment, but because it shares the same codebase as ScummVM, I wouldn't be surprised if many new ports pop up when a stable build is released. :)

• I tried ScummVM on my DS, which would just be the perfect place to port the thing to, but I never really found it to work all that great. Same thing with the Wii (another great system to port it to). Shame.

• @Jennifer said: What kind of tablet do you have? On iPad you can toggle touchpad mode by holding one finger on the screen and swiping another finger from left to right.

On Android, you apparently toggle between touch-pad and direct mode by configuring the "Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode" on the MIDI tab from the "options" button in ScummVM's menu (since the android port currently lacks its own configuration dialog).

Some info about the iPhone/iPad port can be found here.
    Some info about the Android port can be found here.

It's a ScummVM sister project for 3D adventure games that uses the same GUI and has the same codebase framework as ScummVM. It used to be a sub-project called Residual, but the sourcecode was moved from the ScummVM repository.

There is only official Amiga, Windows, Mac, and Linux support at the moment, but because it shares the same codebase as ScummVM, I wouldn't be surprised if many new ports pop up when a stable build is released. :)

Oooh, thanks. It was an android tablet. Much better now!

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I just played through Gabriel Knight in ScummVM (it was the first time I ever finished the game, actually). :)

I can see why it's not ready for primetime yet. The flashlight doesn't work properly in the crypt, and the drum code selector is a bit fidgety (I had to select things from the far right in order for them to register correctly). Other than that though, it worked quite well. :)

I was going to keep this post ScummVM specific, but I just have to say one thing about the game in general: Jim Cummings as the desk sergeant made me think of Bonkers every time I heard him. It's the same voice that he used for detective Lucky in that show. :D

• @Darth Marsden said: I tried ScummVM on my DS, which would just be the perfect place to port the thing to, but I never really found it to work all that great. Same thing with the Wii (another great system to port it to). Shame.

Funny, I think it works fine on Wii with the exception that the Save Game screen text is too small.

I've played Curse of Monkey Island from start to finish on my Wii once before.

• @Chyron8472 said: Funny, I think it works fine on Wii with the exception that the Save Game screen text is too small.

I seem to recall trying Sam & Max, but it didn't work. Probably due to me installing it incorrectly or something. Eh, it's not the end of the world. The PC version works fine.

• I played a couple of LucasArts games on my DS and had some problems with the font and scrolling. The Android version with its push pointer works really well though. Although I tried and was unable to finish The Dig, since there are some puzzles which requires you to push and hold the left mouse button. An action not implemented on the Android version of ScummVM.

• @Chyron8472 said: Funny, I think it works fine on Wii with the exception that the Save Game screen text is too small.

I have too... Kings Quest 5 and 6 work well on there as well... If you plug in a USB keyboard you can play the parcer games on there just fine too.

Add Comment