74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ugh.

That interview only further solidifies my disgust with Telltale's approach to adventure games. Maybe it's just me, but that whole first section, where they asked him about adventure games and innovation, seems just filled with passive aggressive arrogance. "I wish Ron and Tim were doing something new," etc., etc. And again, a fundamental misunderstanding of what actually made adventure games fun. They have it half right, with the whole building a world around a story, but then he essentially says that the world exists as a backdrop for the player to be dropped in so he can have conversations with other characters. He equates "interacting with the world" to having conversations only, which of course, is the approach that Telltale has largely taken, further and further reduced in each subsequent game.

And then I love the complete lack of information on King's Quest. From those statements, it seems clear that they have no idea how the fuck they are going to reconcile their "adventure-games-for-dummies" formula with the King's Quest series and its longtime fans.

Please, Telltale. Get out of the business before you ruin King's Quest.

• King’s Quest is one that we’ve been trying to figure out how to staff and get into production.

Do you have a vision for it?

That’s kind left for Dave Grossman and his group. We’ve certainly talked to a lot of people about it, but we really don’t have anything else to say about it right now.

They sound a bit like a chicken with its head cut off don't they?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

I think we're definitely interested in working with franchises that are currently "relevant" and getting more of that kind of stuff that's less backward and more forward-looking. We’re also interested in game franchises that need new presentation, like Telltale does.

That's the part that stood out for me... I wonder what it means for KQ. Of all the games they announced about 18 months ago, this one is the one I'm most anticipating, so really looking forward to the point where they start releasing some more info.

• It does rather come across like they've aquired the rights but not done much wiht them ye- hang on, since when do Telltale have history with Indiana Jones?! Telltale *staff* might, yes, but the company itself? is this just a slip of the tongue, or is there something exciting going?

• Yeah, it's a bit disapointing. Having the IP for over a year, and not doing anything with it. If it was me, everyone would already have a game to play now.

Bt

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

Out of curiosity, wasn't Fables the next thing that they were planning on releasing? KQ was supposed to be the LAST of those licenses to become a game (Hector, PA2, TWD, Fables, then KQ)?

Then again, I may be wrong. But if it's true, than KQ shouldn't be released for another year.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@divisionten said: Out of curiosity, wasn't Fables the next thing that they were planning on releasing? KQ was supposed to be the LAST of those licenses to become a game (Hector, PA2, TWD, Fables, then KQ)?

Then again, I may be wrong. But if it's true, than KQ shouldn't be released for another year.

Yep, pretty sure Fables is next and KQ is ages away.

• Oh, goody. Let's wait a few more years to get a new King's Quest game.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: Oh, goody. Let's wait a few more years to get a new King's Quest game.

Way to overreact. It'll be about a year. And I seriously doubt that they've not done anything with it, there will have been a number of meetings & discussions about it, things that frankly we are not (nor should we be really) privy to.

• The part where he said...

That’s kind left for Dave Grossman and his group.

Is pretty HUGE news actually... now we know who is running the show for that game... and Dave Grossman is actually a really good choice to do it... He knows what he is doing, and is actually brilliant at doing it... He is just as important to the genre as Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, Roberta Williams, Al Lowe, and Jane Jensen in my oppinion... I am actually really excited about this news.

Add Comment