User Avatar Image

Season 3 may have been the last

posted by FrankT on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

Well correct me if I'm wrong... but I fear that Season 3 may well have been the last Sam & Max season, and a Season 4 isn't being planned. :( Well how else can we explain the sudden appearance of all the living characters in the finale?! And I'm taking into account the fact that it was made a few years after S2 - maybe it was a comeback special or something! Your thoughts?

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Tora Newton Y. said: (Yay, Reality 2.0 is the highest! I love that episode, no one else seems to...)

I do! It remains my favorite single episode of all of Telltale's Sam & Max episodes. Of course, I really liked the text adventure sequence. :)

• @Tora Newton Y. said: Apologies for the double post, but...

Woodsyblue, before you post again most likely continuing to fight me, I want to put a stop to this right now.
    This has reached a dead end. No matter what, I know I'm not going to get you to listen to what I have to say, so I don't want to waste any more time on this.

From the very first moment, it seems like you've been trying to make me look like an idiot just for liking newer Telltale games, and liking TDP more than Seasons 1&2. I felt that was really rude, and it upset me, so that's why I fervently tried to explain my reasons for liking TDP, in hopes you would at least respect my opinion, even if you don't agree.

My most important point that I've tried to make from the beginning, which has been skidded around quite a lot, is that IT IS OKAY if you like Seasons 1&2 better than TDP. You are COMPLETELY ALLOWED to have that opinion! I AM FINE with you having that opinion, and I always have been! Seasons 1&2 and TDP are very different, and it's perfectly okay to prefer one over the other!
    What isn't fine is when you try to make someone else feel bad for liking something that you don't like as much, which is what I've felt like you've been doing to me. We can disagree and have different opinions and that's okay. But you shouldn't try to force your opinion or others or try to tell them what they like is bad or they're stupid because what you like is better.
    You can say "I disagree with your opinion and here's why... but the opinion you have is okay even if I don't agree with it."
    And that's really all I've wanted. For you to treat me and my opinion with respect, and not try to make me feel bad or stupid for just liking something more.

So I want to stop this now, and say while I don't agree with you or your opinion, I respect both. And I would very much appreciate if you'd do the same for me; agree to disagree, and no longer attack me for simply enjoying something.
    An apology for calling me a "stubborn idiot" would also be nice.

If the impression I gave you was that I wanted you to feel bad for liking the game then I do apologise for that was never my intention. The argument got heated and I know we both said stuff we regret. I have no problem, no problem in the world with you liking TDP more than season 2, and I can easily see why you do like it more. My problem was not that you like it more, it was that you said it was better, better to the point where it was almost unfathomable to compare. As you well know by now I have a very high opinion of season 2 and I felt I needed to defend its honour. Things got out of hand, but I don't believe that either one of us is really that unreasonable.

As for the stubborn idiot comment, I didn't mean that I thought you were a stubborn idiot, only that you were being a stubborn idiot regarding the argument, but the truth is so was I. That being said, it was uncalled for and I apologise.

I really do regret that things went as far as they did. So, truce? Also, insert emoticon handshake, or hug, or whatever this situation normally calls for :)

• @Woodsyblue said: If the impression I gave you was that I wanted you to feel bad for liking the game then I do apologise for that was never my intention. The argument got heated and I know we both said stuff we regret. I have no problem, no problem in the world with you liking TDP more than season 2, and I can easily see why you do like it more. My problem was not that you like it more, it was that you said it was better, better to the point where it was almost unfathomable to compare. As you well know by now I have a very high opinion of season 2 and I felt I needed to defend its honour. Things got out of hand, but I don't believe that either one of us is really that unreasonable.

As for the stubborn idiot comment, I didn't mean that I thought you were a stubborn idiot, only that you were being a stubborn idiot regarding the argument, but the truth is so was I. That being said, it was uncalled for and I apologise.

I really do regret that things went as far as they did. So, truce? Also, insert emoticon handshake, or hug, or whatever this situation normally calls for :)

I never meant to say they were unfathomable to compare! They certainly aren't, even though Seasons 1&2 and TDP are quite different. In my opinion the seasons got progressive better, Season 2 was better than Season 1 and then TDP was better than Season 2, but that doesn't mean I think Season 2 isn't an amazing game on its own merits! I just think TDP took everything that was great about Season 2 and made it even better.
    I did try to explain why I thought TDP had a lot of improvements over Season 2, but we seem to have different ideas of what we consider to be good adventure games or what we like in our adventure games, which is fair enough I suppose. It is a shame though you aren't fond of Telltale's newer games, I've found them all to be really enjoyable so far!

Well, for the future, perhaps something better to say would be "You're acting very stubborn"? That way you're not getting personal, just letting someone know to maybe be more aware of their attitude?

Of course, no hard feelings! Thank you very much for apologizing, I'm glad we got this all worked out~ And there was much rejoicing!
    :guybrush:

• Let me just say that TDP is a good game, and there are some nifty puzzles in there. And while there are instances of the toys of power hindering the gameplay there are also instances of them improving it. I would have liked to have seen them push the envelope a bit more at times but that's just a personal preference.

I was really only disappointed by some of the design choices that the developers made and something that compounded my anger was the fact that later Telltale games are built on these very design choices. As a result I am more unfair on TDP than I should be.

• @Woodsyblue said: Let me just say that TDP is a good game, and there are some nifty puzzles in there. And while there are instances of the toys of power hindering the gameplay there are also instances of them improving it. I would have liked to have seen them push the envelope a bit more at times but that's just a personal preference.

I was really only disappointed by some of the design choices that the developers made and something that compounded my anger was the fact that later Telltale games are built on these very design choices. As a result I am more unfair on TDP than I should be.

The use of teleportation got a little repetitive during 301 at times due to the fact there wasn't a whole lot of variation on it, really that episode could've used another psychic power after the first act, but other then that I feel like the Toys of Power were much more of an excellent new mechanic than a hindering one. Of course, being as it was a new mechanic it's expected not all the kinks would be worked out. I think it pushed the envelop in a lot of ways, by also paving the way for new future gameplay opportunities.

I actually prefer the decision of focusing the puzzles around the story as opposed to the story around the puzzles. It seems a bit like to me, in Seasons 1&2, you'd have a very basic concept for each episode that could usually be summed up in a single line (such as "Max runs for president!" or "Sam and Max travel through time!"), and then the puzzles would be built around that concept, and then the story would be written around those puzzles, though by the end it would show the episodes all connect together in some way.
    For TDP, this was reversed; one big story concept was written, then divided into five chapters, and then the puzzles were designed around the story and segments of the story in each episode.
    And this is another reason why kind of think TDP's method works better for Telltale. Almost every other game studio or company puts the gameplay front and center, and doesn't always give enough attention to every other element a video game has to offer as a medium.
    Why I love Telltale and what makes them special is that they focus on the things like story and writing and humor and characters. If you got a game that's just fun to play... well, that's nice, but if you've got a game that's not only fun to play but completely pulls you into its world, makes you care about its characters, makes you laugh, makes you cry... that's the kind of uniquely immersive experience you only get in games made by companies like Telltale. And to me, those are the best kinds of games, games that aren't there just there to be enjoyable time-wasters; they're there to create a world, develop characters, tell a story, make a statement, touch your emotions, and make you think about more than just puzzles. To be a work of art.

• Are there any stats as to how well the first three seasons sold? That could be a good predictor of whether or not we'll see a fourth season.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Probably rather well; but again, I fear that the only relevant statistics are how well BTTF, JP and TWD sold afterwards.

• @Vainamoinen said: ...I fear that the only relevant statistics are how well BTTF, JP and TWD sold afterwards.

I love Sam and Max (still waiting for a Max plushie, dammit!), but I fear you may be right, particularly in regard to TWD, given the cross media fan base.

• @Cyreen said: I love Sam and Max (still waiting for a Max plushie, dammit!), but I fear you may be right, particularly in regard to TWD, given the cross media fan base.

A Max plushie would be cool. But I'd rather have a plush hat made to look like Team fortress 2 Max's Severed Head Hat.

• Telltale is going to have to get some back up from Sam & Max until they think of something fresh and original. With a huge comeback with their Mascot people are going to buy, and they will have some money to keep them running and alive until they think of something new. :D

Add Comment