User Avatar Image

Games That Deserve To Be Forgotten

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

Back to the Future: The "Game"

9ZYc7.png

304 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: StarFox Adventures is a Zelda clone targeted at little kids. It was repetitive, easy and the story was shallow.

"Wahhhh, I hate it because it's not my precious Starfox 64." Give me a break- Adventures is Zelda in mechanics only and it has plenty of mechanics that don't ape Zelda at all. The story was no more shallow than any other story in any other Rareware game. Also excuse me if I doubt that the target audience for your srs bsns Starfox 64 wasn't kids either, seeing as every kid I knew in the 64 days had Starfox 64.

• @Secret Fawful said: "Wahhhh, I hate it because it's not my precious Starfox 64." Give me a break- Adventures is Zelda in mechanics only and it has plenty of mechanics that don't ape Zelda at all. The story was no more shallow than any other story in any other Rareware game. Also excuse me if I doubt that the target audience for your srs bsns Starfox 64 wasn't kids either.

The target audience for Zelda is everyone who likes action adventure games. The target audience for StarFox Adventures is anyone who likes action adventure games and is under the age of 12.

All the primarily shooter-style StarFox games have multiple paths to the final boss, so it makes it fun trying to figure out where the secret exits are. So, even if the default route is easy, the game is still fun finding the harder paths.

• @Chyron8472 said: The target audience for Zelda is everyone who likes action adventure games. The target audience for StarFox Adventures is anyone who likes action adventure games and is under the age of 12.

Well, I'm playing it, and I'm 21. I'm sick of hearing every Starfox fanboy bash this game when it doesn't deserve it. I like it and you can't bully me out of liking it. The hoverpod racing sections in this are more fun than anything I ever played in Assault by far. I'm sick of people bashing games that stray from the formula, so please do **** off on this one, Chyron.

• It's not about sticking to formula. It's about doing something, and doing it well. There's nothing wrong with straying from formula so long as it doesn't lose sight of what people enjoy most about the franchise.

• @Chyron8472 said: It's not about sticking to formula. It's about doing something, and doing it well. There's nothing wrong with straying from formula so long as it doesn't lose sight of what people enjoy most about the franchise.

In my case, I simply enjoy this more than the franchise. Also that kind of contradicts the whole point of straying from the formula.

• @Chyron8472 said: It's not about sticking to formula. It's about doing something, and doing it well. There's nothing wrong with straying from formula so long as it doesn't lose sight of what people enjoy most about the franchise.

Wait, wait. You're arguing about doing something well in the same argument as defending Assault? What the hell game did you play? Assault may have stuck closer to the classic Star Fox mechanics, but it did a mediocre job of it at best.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Farlander said: I wanted to mention Daikatana, but then I thought... that game should never be forgotten. Ever. As shitty as it is, that's the living testament of the dangers of ambition and bad management when it comes to creating games. It should stay in history, and in peoples' minds, forever.

Interestingly, the Game Boy Color version of Daikatana is actually fun to play (and is available to download legally from John Romero's website. It's weird because the Game Boy Color versions of 3D games were always very different, and were usually much worse than their console and PC counterparts and were usually not worth your time. But here it was the other way around. :D

• Okay, I find this thread hilarious.

I mean, seriously. By putting all the games we want to forget into a thread, we ensure that they are remembered as long as coolsome keeps necro-ing threads. Years from now, this thread will pop up again and we will remember all the games we wanted to forget.

Kind of a whole "hoisted on our own petard" situation. I mean, I'd already forgotten about Back to the Future until Dashing reminded me about it. Now I have to start all over again.

Add Comment