User Avatar Image

New Direction is Best

posted by Sleeq on - last edited - Viewed by 841 users

First time poster here!

I'm now 31 and I've played almost all of Sierra's games since I was a kid (yes even Larry... we were cool back then... and how else do you think I learned how to play Blackjack!)

I loved every moment of these games and they really challenged the mind. They hold a special place in my heart.

However, we should get with the times.

King's Quest is a controversial series due to the loyal fanbase; I know it will be hard to please everyone. But I don't think going for a 2D classic game will cut it this time.

I think going for a 3D (please don't kill me) Mask of Eternity style'd game is the way to go, and adding more classic elements from the older games into it.

Think about it; a POLISHED free roam 3D game with classic item hunt and use mechanics with MINOR or REDUCED action sequences with a little more mature themes/humor would be pretty good if pulled off.

I don't want to feel nostalgic; if I want to I'll just replay the games. I want a new direction.

As far as puzzles, they should be challenging but fair. No dead-ends, but death sequences are ok (to provide a sense of urgency).

The best games this new generation for me were Demon's Souls & Dark Souls, simply because the mechanics of minimal plot, addictive combat, and challenge created a great formula. Every mistake you made was yours and you learned from it.

So putting this philosophy into the new game would surely be helpful.

Sorry for the long post!

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sleeq said: I mentioned a few games that made the transition to 3D with major success (GTA, Final Fantasy, MGS etc) so I'm sure having most classic elements minus the moon logic/unwinnable situations and a bit more serious tone would not be such a bad thing no?

You cannot dramatically change the tone of the game and have it be considered a successful transition. The vast majority of games that successfully transitioned into 3D and are now considered classics gained that status precisely BECAUSE the original tone of the series remained intact. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, just to name 3 biggies, were amazing in 3D because they still "felt" exactly like the original games, just in 3D (and therefore better! Or so goes late 90s logic.)

If you change the tone of the game world, what other "classic elements" are even worth keeping? Put another way, the whole reason Mask of Eternity is considered a failure in most fans' eyes is because it didn't "feel" like a King's Quest game. And a HUGE part of that is they darkened the tone and took out most of the humor (among many other things.)

• @Sleeq said: I think for me, it belittles the crisis at hand. Like how in KG5 Graham acts as if his family being captured happens everyday and his dialog and
    VA , not to mention his actions don't match the situation.

I don't know if it makes sense or if I worded it correctly...

Well, contrary to popular opinion, it's not really acceptable to go around sulking about your problems and blabbing them to everybody as if they care. He's not an emo blogger. He is a man of integrity. He knows that you have to remain respectable (not only in speech but in behaviour) and that any act of sympathy and kindness towards him in the form of help in his plight would only be as reciprocation. I think his reactions were perfectly fine. It's not like he needs to stop and have a cry all the time and grieve saying "woe is me". He's a man. He's out to get the job done. Sitting around crying isn't going to solve that!

I hate movies and games nowadays because they make that seem like the normal reaction people should have. Everything's so emotional. I'm not against emotion, but there's...so much. EVERYTHING is emotional. It's stupid and unrealistic. Excessive.

• If you change the tone of the game world, what other "classic elements" are even worth keeping? Put another way, the whole reason Mask of Eternity is considered a failure in most fans' eyes is because it didn't "feel" like a King's Quest game. And a HUGE part of that is they darkened the tone and took out most of the humor (among many other things.)

Putting a bit more seriousness (I stress "a bit") into the story / world with the rest of the elements that we have come to associate with the series does not equal a clone of MoE.

I don't think my suggestion is too extreme... the stress is still on item hunting / puzzling and exploring the realm of Daventry, not action. Hell, action (in the MoE sense) won't even have to be an integral part of the game.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Well, contrary to popular opinion, it's not really acceptable to go around sulking about your problems and blabbing them to everybody as if they care. He's not an emo blogger. He is a man of integrity. He knows that you have to remain respectable (not only in speech but in behaviour) and that any act of sympathy and kindness towards him in the form of help in his plight would only be as reciprocation. I think his reactions were perfectly fine. It's not like he needs to stop and have a cry all the time and grieve saying "woe is me". He's a man. He's out to get the job done. Sitting around crying isn't going to solve that!

I hate movies and games nowadays because they make that seem like the normal reaction people should have. Everything's so emotional. I'm not against emotion, but there's...so much. EVERYTHING is emotional. It's stupid and unrealistic. Excessive.

I agree; but in KQ5 I felt NO emotion at all. Plotwise it was weaker than KQ6 (it had more depth with characters and story).

• most fans' eyes

Probably more like 50/50 of the fans eyes :p... Or we wouldn't have nearly this many arguements...

What do they call men now adays? Metrosexual?

• @Sleeq said: I agree; but in KQ5 I felt NO emotion at all. Plotwise it was weaker than KQ6 (it had more depth with characters and story).

That's where I disagree. KQ6 was indeed more polished and better presented, but KQ5 is much more interesting to me. That shouldn't be the case if it has no emotion at all. You can chalk that up to bad voice acting for the most part if you wish, but I can still derive some emotion from it. Enough to make it matter.

• Actually I honestly think the non-talkie version was better at projecting emotion than the cd version. The descriptions were sometimes a bit more detailed too.

• Come on Blackthorne and Lambonius; don't put words in peoples mouths. Kings quest has always been a child friendly series; however most series fans are now grown up.

The dialogue was cringe worthy and a lot of the material was simply presented because of the technology - but I don't hold it against it (the power of nostalgia, and innovative for the time.)

Most of the traditional audience has grown up so as the publisher you have a choice, make a child friendly game like nintendo with in-joke nods to the adults playing, or put a more adult spin on it. Honestly I would be fine with both but way to jump down someone's throat! Not cool man, not cool at all :mad:

Is your goal to bully anyone who doesn't agree with you because that's how you came off Blackthorne

• No, I'm not bullying anyone who has a different opinion. I'm merely stating why I find their opinion to be sophomoric and idiotic. They can take it however they want; it's easy to write someone off, especially on the internet - when we're talking about a video game. I'm not saying they're a bad person, but I am saying I wholeheartedly disagree with their myopic vision.

If they can let me make them feel bad about their opinion, they obviously do not have the courage to back their conviction.

Bt

• You have to realize with Lambonious;

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/enfantprovocateur.htm

enfantprovocateur.jpg

"Enfant Provocateur likes to stir up trouble because...because, well...just because. This species of Flame Warrior is almost always young and male - it could be just a hormone thing."

Add Comment