User Avatar Image

Retail version cancelled?

posted by chrono01 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

I got a call from EB this morning informing that my Sam & Max: Season One pre-order was cancelled because they got word from the publishers that it was no longer being made. So, is there only one version now, the one you get directly from this website?

In any case, it must be a blessing in disquise. I never knew about the exclusive pre-orders from this site (the bonus DVD, getting all of the episodes on CD) as well as all of the cool swag. I pre-ordered the Season One Collection + Bonus DVD, as well as the Sam & Max Season One Case file, Soundtrack, and Artbook. Sure, I spent more than I originally planned, but what can I say? Sam & Max are awesome, as are all of you Telltale employees. You really go the extra mile with your products, and show true love and devotion to your fans (don't worry, not in a creepy way :D). Thanks again, and I can't wait until the July release.

EDIT: Thanks to Jake, a Telltale Team Member, the above information has been proved to be false (as you can read below), as the game is still available for pre-order in EB/GS locations (just not online apparently).The retail version is not cancelled, and apologize for the misleading information.

83 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think EB may have lied to you. Other retailers will still have it, as far as I know.

  • @chrono01 said: I got a call from EB this morning informing that my Sam & Max: Season One pre-order was cancelled because they got word from the publishers that it was no longer being made.

    I also got a call from EB Games today. They said the manufacturer will no longer be making Sam & Max Season One and they will not have any more.

  • Well thats disturbing news..the game needs to be in EB stores

  • I'm sure it's just been pulled temporarily, for whatever reason. I wouldn't worry yet.

  • I'd like to reiterate that whatever seems to be going on with EB, other retailers are still taking orders (except Gamestop, which is the same company as EB)

  • @tabacco said: I'd like to reiterate that whatever seems to be going on with EB, other retailers are still taking orders (except Gamestop, which is the same company as EB)

    Just because they're still taking orders for it, doesn't mean they'll get any copies in. It's too bad. Like Hero1 stated, a retail release would have extended the game's reach, and possibly have created new Sam & Max fans. Oh well, there's still a chance it might eventually get a retail release, but as it stands now, it won't be be for a while.

    Of course, I hope this is all just a misunderstanding, but it doesn't appear that way. We'll know for sure in a bit, I suppose. At least Telltale is there for us. :)

  • man hasn't sam & max had enough cancellations :mad: what's the adventure company saying about this?

  • @chrono01 said: Just because they're still taking orders for it, doesn't mean they'll get any copies in. It's too bad. Like Hero1 stated, a retail release would have extended the game's reach, and possibly have created new Sam & Max fans. Oh well, there's still a chance it might eventually get a retail release, but as it stands now, it won't be be for a while.

    The retail version is not cancelled, EB is just up to something funny. Let's not jump to crazy conclusions, okay?

  • @Hero1 said: Well thats disturbing news..the game needs to be in EB stores

    If it can find any shelf space. With the way EB is going these days they have like one shelf dedicated to PC games, with the dozen+ others going to the consoles.

  • @chrono01 said: Just because they're still taking orders for it, doesn't mean they'll get any copies in. It's too bad. Like Hero1 stated, a retail release would have extended the game's reach, and possibly have created new Sam & Max fans. Oh well, there's still a chance it might eventually get a retail release, but as it stands now, it won't be be for a while.

    Of course, I hope this is all just a misunderstanding, but it doesn't appear that way. We'll know for sure in a bit, I suppose. At least Telltale is there for us. :)

    The leaps in logic and assumptions here are pretty out of control. As of right now we don't know what's up with these calls from GS/EB, but we do know it doesn't mean that the retail release is canceled.

    Until you have some sort of actual fact, you shouldn't make assumptions like that, especially in such an authoritative, knowledgeable tone. Everywhere but the Internet, what you wrote would be considered "making things up." If you're going to try and report something to people, please actually behave like a reporter and check your facts.

    For what it's worth, I just phoned the local GameStop and was told "it's coming out August 28th," after the guy looked it up in the store computer.

Add Comment