User Avatar Image

To Telltale Games: About Kenny...

posted by zgamer on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Now before you misunderstand anything, I want them to know that I do respect how they have developed Kenny's character up to now. I think it added a whole new dimension to the story the way he handled what to do with Larry, even if it was shocking. A good character needs to have complexity and at this point Kenny has shown a large boost in character complexity in episode 2. I have found him overall to be one of the most interesting characters in the game.

Having said that, I feel like the way they have handled the progression has been a bit uneven. I, along with a majority of the players based on the stat trailer, picked the option to reason with Larry to try and calm both of them down. I can understand Kenny not wanting to accept that, since he is a very hard headed guy and he could see it as disagreeing with him. That said, I then proceeded in PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER SITUATION to side with Kenny to the point I yelled and threatened Larry that I would die before they touched Duck. I had already saved him from the walkers earlier and I wanted to do my best to protect him because I cared for that family.

So why does Kenny only remember the time I tried to reason with Larry and make it seem like everything else I did never happened? It is one thing if I actually voted to throw Duck out, but it feels like an overreaction to all the other choices I made that pretty much showed I was loyal to Kenny. Heck, I fed Duck in episode 2 and Kenny treated me like his best friend for "being a real man," but then he turned around in the next scene and told me how horrible I was because I "voted to throw him out" (which I did not!).

I don't think Kenny is a terrible person and I want to be able to show that (which there were not really any options to do so), even if I was frustrated with how he handled Larry in episode 2. It just comes across as an error in either the writing or the game's stat tracking. Is it possible to address this either in episode 2 or later in episode 3? Or is this part of some story arc I am not fully grasping?

60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Why wouldn't he remember that though?

Duck is the most important thing to him.

Sure you're good to him and everything all of those other times but it's still in the back of his mind that you were willing to "reason with Larry" when it came to the safety of his son.

You trying to "reason with Larry" probably isn't a big deal to you, because you don't take that as "throw him out". But to Kenny who is very passionate when it comes to his family could have taken it as you saying "let's not take a chance and get rid of him".

I'm trying to see things in Kenny's point of view. He's just trying to do things in order for his family to survive. If there is anything that could possibly get in the way of that and he wants that thing taken care of. Can't say I blame him.

• A deeper problem is that I didn't actually realize that "Reason with him" meant reason with Kenny about throwing Duck out. I assumed it would be reasoning with Larry about not doing anything hasty until Duck starts turning. It was an ambiguous option, to say the least.

Regardless, there's always the option to replay the game, it's fairly short and can fix those "misunderstandings."

• I'm agree with zgamer, that's all.

It's a game design failure to me. I've repeated a lot over here. :D

I didn't want to throw Duck out... Only that Kenny didn't precipitate with unknown guys.

The answer Kenny should remember it's the next one Lee gives to Larry. There are four choices, I think. Two radicals and two fine.

• My first play through went like this too. I wanted to reason with Larry, but after 3 months that's all that Kenny remembers me doing. Not the fact that on Herchel's farm I went to save Duck first and then more recently fed Duck in Ep. 2. I lost a lot of respect for Kenny after he brought up that I wanted to reason with Larry. I understand he has priorities, but holding something over your head for 3 months is stupid.

• I think it ties in to his character overall. He is the kind of person that will not let himself or others put morals or diplomacy ahead of protecting people.

This is reinforced with the entire meat locker situation in episode 2.

• @jaybreezy said: Why wouldn't he remember that though?

Duck is the most important thing to him.

Sure you're good to him and everything all of those other times but it's still in the back of his mind that you were willing to "reason with Larry" when it came to the safety of his son.

You trying to "reason with Larry" probably isn't a big deal to you, because you don't take that as "throw him out". But to Kenny who is very passionate when it comes to his family could have taken it as you saying "let's not take a chance and get rid of him".

I'm trying to see things in Kenny's point of view. He's just trying to do things in order for his family to survive. If there is anything that could possibly get in the way of that and he wants that thing taken care of. Can't say I blame him.

I am trying to see things from his point too. I totally understand a lot of the actions he does to protect his family, even abandoning Shawn when you try to save him. And I admitted that I agreed with him not accepting the reasoning option with Larry, since his anger and sense of duty make it hard for him to listen to what you may be meaning (it is a very ambiguous response granted).

However, it feels like that should not have been the option to decide if you sided with Larry or Kenny. I feel the following response should have been the one where the game tracks your alliance because that is when you make a definitive "Yes" or "No" response to the situation. It claims that it keeps track of that second response too, but it feels ridiculous to me that Kenny does not remember you telling Larry to kill you before he touches Duck. That does not sound like "deciding to throw him out" like Kenny claims you did does it?

• I think that's just the kind of man Kenny is, and it's a side of him that really started coming out in Episode 2. He's an all-or-nothing kind of guy. To Kenny, if you're not with him 100% of the time, you're not with him.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: I think that's just the kind of man Kenny is, and it's a side of him that really started coming out in Episode 2. He's an all-or-nothing kind of guy. To Kenny, if you're not with him 100% of the time, you're not with him.

If this is the case (which it seems it is) Kenny's going to have to learn to adjust to the needs of the group or leave with his family. Maybe Katjaa can talk some sense into him.

• @zgamer said: I am trying to see things from his point too. I totally understand a lot of the actions he does to protect his family, even abandoning Shawn when you try to save him. And I admitted that I agreed with him not accepting the reasoning option with Larry, since his anger and sense of duty make it hard for him to listen to what you may be meaning (it is a very ambiguous response granted).

However, it feels like that should not have been the option to decide if you sided with Larry or Kenny. I feel the following response should have been the one where the game tracks your alliance because that is when you make a definitive "Yes" or "No" response to the situation. It claims that it keeps track of that second response too, but it feels ridiculous to me that Kenny does not remember you telling Larry to kill you before he touches Duck. That does not sound like "deciding to throw him out" like Kenny claims you did does it?

I agree that the whole "sided with Larry" decision was a bit off, especially when the dialogue was "WE [Lee and Kenny] reason with him.". How exactly was this siding with Larry? It really should have been the end result of the decision that the characters noted - if you stood between Larry and Duck, you sided with Kenny.

I think it's important to note, however, that there were three months in between episodes that we didn't see, and that means that there is character development that we didn't see, even for Lee. I think the set up for episode two is that Lilly and Kenny have differing opinions on how the group should be led, and everyone else (including Lee) has been reluctant to take sides. So just because you as the player sided with Kenny/Larry at every available opportunity doesn't mean that Lee has spent the last three months doing so. Not backing him up when he makes the decision about Larry might just the the straw that tips the camels back.

• i'm reminded how marks reaction to newcomers was similar to glenn / carley about lees group in ep 1 i have a feeling that verbatim kennys going to end up saying "your not coming with us you son of a bitch!"

Add Comment