User Avatar Image

The Use of Foreshadowing in the game...

posted by TrickyZombie on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

I noticed that The Walking Dead game has been using some foreshadowing in the game to a noticeable degree, and maybe examining it further, can lead to some predictions on what's to come. Some examples I noticed in no particular order.

-In Episode 1 Herschel basically chews Kenny out for doing nothing to defend his son Shawn, and that he'll never know that pain because he still has his son Duck around. Later on in that episode, we see Kenny in a situation that would almost have him lose his son Duck when Larry suggests his son be thrown out of the pharmacy because he thinks his son was bitten.

-In Episode 1 Lee can find up to 4 energy bars in the store to distribute. In Episode 2, he's stuck on ration duty, with only 4 pieces of food for 10 hungry mouths.

-In Episode 2 Mark mentions that Larry's a "walking piledriver" or something along those lines, and that he wouldn't want to be locked in a room with him. Of course later in Episode 2, you're locked in a meat locker with Larry, and are faced with a tough decision which touches on Mark's previous comment.

-In the beginning of Episode 2 when you're in the woods with Mark and Kenny, you're given a choice to chop off a guy's leg (which is a very popular decision) to free him from a trap. Later in the Episode, both of Mark's legs end up chopped off.

-Late in Episode 1, Larry's worked up and suffering a heart scare, where late in Episode 2, his heart acts up again.

-Episode 1 there's an electronic device that's out of batteries, just like in Episode 2.

-Episode 1 you find yourself on a farm temporarily, as well in Episode 2.

-In Episode 1 Kenny's forced with a situation that wrongfully see's Duck as being viewed as a potential zombie, and in Episode 2, Larry's the one that's in the role of a zombie-to-be.

There's been a lot of questions on the board as to whether a kid can be killed in this game, there's a scene in Episode 1 where Shawn tells Lee how he's seen a child get shot at point blank range. Perhaps that talk is foreshadowing a scene later in the game. Would Lee be able to shoot a zombified Clem? (Which is a touchy subject that's been explored life in the comics and the show).

I've had the misfortune of replaying these games more than I wanted too because of the PS3 corrupted save debacle, and these are some elements of foreshadowing in the game that stuck with me. Anyone else notice anything similar in regards to foreshadowing, or any predictions on what's expected on the horizon due to the element?

16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @TrickyZombie said: I noticed that The Walking Dead game has been using some foreshadowing in the game to a noticeable degree, and maybe examining it further, can lead to some predictions on what's to come. Some examples I noticed in no particular order.

    -In Episode 1 Herschel basically chews Kenny out for doing nothing to defend his son Shawn, and that he'll never know that pain because he still has his son Duck around. Later on in that episode, we see Kenny in a situation that would almost have him lose his son Duck when Larry suggests his son be thrown out of the pharmacy because he thinks his son was bitten.

    -In Episode 1 Lee can find up to 4 energy bars in the store to distribute. In Episode 2, he's stuck on ration duty, with only 4 pieces of food for 10 hungry mouths.

    -In Episode 2 Mark mentions that Larry's a "walking piledriver" or something along those lines, and that he wouldn't want to be locked in a room with him. Of course later in Episode 2, you're locked in a meat locker with Larry, and are faced with a tough decision which touches on Mark's previous comment.

    -In the beginning of Episode 2 when you're in the woods with Mark and Kenny, you're given a choice to chop off a guy's leg (which is a very popular decision) to free him from a trap. Later in the Episode, both of Mark's legs end up chopped off.

    -Late in Episode 1, Larry's worked up and suffering a heart scare, where late in Episode 2, his heart acts up again.

    -Episode 1 there's an electronic device that's out of batteries, just like in Episode 2.

    -Episode 1 you find yourself on a farm temporarily, as well in Episode 2.

    -In Episode 1 Kenny's forced with a situation that wrongfully see's Duck as being viewed as a potential zombie, and in Episode 2, Larry's the one that's in the role of a zombie-to-be.

    There's been a lot of questions on the board as to whether a kid can be killed in this game, there's a scene in Episode 1 where Shawn tells Lee how he's seen a child get shot at point blank range. Perhaps that talk is foreshadowing a scene later in the game. Would Lee be able to shoot a zombified Clem? (Which is a touchy subject that's been explored life in the comics and the show).

    I've had the misfortune of replaying these games more than I wanted too because of the PS3 corrupted save debacle, and these are some elements of foreshadowing in the game that stuck with me. Anyone else notice anything similar in regards to foreshadowing, or any predictions on what's expected on the horizon due to the element?

    All I hope is that the Hershel thing is foreshadowing Duck, potentially, getting the Chomp.

  • The walker in the opening scene was wearing a SAVE-LOTS shirt and the whole episode was about save-lots former employees.

  • You forgot to mention that Mark says that he was happy he opened the doors when they picked him up, otherwise he would have ended as Food.
    Then shortly after he literally ends as food.

  • I reckon having to kill Duck at point blank when he's just walking towards you and you're not sure if he's just spacing out or a zombie... you know... like thingy... spoilers... would be pretty powerful. Kenny would go bats**t crazy at you, Katyaa would sink into depression, Libby and Carley/Doug would be sort-of supportive, but not knowing whether they could've done it and Clem's opinion would be based on how you've been treating her.

    He should definitely be a zombie, but it shouldn't initially be clear and if you don't shoot him in the head, he climbs on you and you have to do one of the gruesome, up-close, QTE-style death sequences. His parents would hate you whatever happens, and you could argue quite well about the necessity of what you did, bringing up... you know... thingy... spoilers. Duck has gained something of a hatedom, and a gut-wrenching exit would please the haters and progress the story. Children usually have immunity in video games, and this would really hit home.

    If the devs didn't want such a setup, have Clem fall ill with the fever that that one chap has in the TV show, but because of an infected cut rather than being bitten. She turns. Shoot her? Shoot yourself? Shoot her, then have a QTE where you have to stop Lee killing himself for his failure in protecting Clem?

  • When Larry goes "I got 60 cents in my pocket" and later you use those 60 cents to take the air conditioner off the wall.

  • @Sharonhorste said: When Larry goes "I got 60 cents in my pocket" and later you use those 60 cents to take the air conditioner off the wall.

    That's not foreshadowing... A lot of people seem to be confusing Foreshadowing with Coincidence and Chekhov's Gun http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsGun

  • @reno2200 said: I reckon having to kill Duck at point blank when he's just walking towards you and you're not sure if he's just spacing out or a zombie... you know... like thingy... spoilers... would be pretty powerful. Kenny would go bats**t crazy at you, Katyaa would sink into depression, Libby and Carley/Doug would be sort-of supportive, but not knowing whether they could've done it and Clem's opinion would be based on how you've been treating her.

    He should definitely be a zombie, but it shouldn't initially be clear and if you don't shoot him in the head, he climbs on you and you have to do one of the gruesome, up-close, QTE-style death sequences. His parents would hate you whatever happens, and you could argue quite well about the necessity of what you did, bringing up... you know... thingy... spoilers. Duck has gained something of a hatedom, and a gut-wrenching exit would please the haters and progress the story. Children usually have immunity in video games, and this would really hit home.

    If the devs didn't want such a setup, have Clem fall ill with the fever that that one chap has in the TV show, but because of an infected cut rather than being bitten. She turns. Shoot her? Shoot yourself? Shoot her, then have a QTE where you have to stop Lee killing himself for his failure in protecting Clem?

    This ^^^ :cool:
    Get on it Dev Team.

  • The guys at Telltale are masters when it comes to having seemingly insignificant details turn out important later on.

    Who would've guessed Strong Bad's concept art was anything but a quick throwaway gag?

  • Your talk with Clementine might be forshadowing that you may have a chance to rebuild a family at some point/at the end of episode five, as Clementine asks if you plan on having children.

    Now who Lee will have a family with is unknown, the only possibilities are (currently) Carley (If you saved her), Lilly (If she comes back from the Prison), or the purple jacket wearing girl, which we'll meet next episode. Hmm.

    Some other very unlikely possibilities are Katjaa if Kenny/Duck dies or Clementine's mother, if you end up going to Savana in the final episode and find her there still alive. But again, these two are extremely unlikely, for obvious reasons.

  • TT is awesome for including these kinds of things. What would really impress me would be the use of symbolism, metaphors and other elements.

Add Comment