User Avatar Image

Can we have an Android port please?

posted by Tind on - last edited - Viewed by 5K users

Dear Teltale!
I have been thinking about buying Walking Dead, but I always hesitate, because I can't really see myself as playing with a "simple" (not literally what I mean!) game compared to Battlefield 3 or Mass Effect 3 on PC, but when I saw that there will be an iOS port with new touch interface, my heart started pounding!

Only problem is, that I own an Android device, a Sony Ericson Neo V phone with 1 core 1Ghz CPU and Adreno 205 GPU. Dead Trigger with Tegra 3 graphics (water effects+ragdoll effects+advanced lighting) runs fine on this device.

This is how it looks:

0bvhncrgwq9o8k51au9z_tn.png ph1w8tliqt4mbp7b01cy_tn.png
kxjcjsg75i99qf9wg1mq.png_tn.png
aloqymaslrlt7lgkori7_tn.png kxjcjsg75i99qf9wg1mq_tn.png
(Please note that the minor graphical bugs you see are not present during gameplay, the program used to make the screenshot is responsible for those bugs)

I assume if Dead Trigger can run with advanced graphics like that on a 1 core ARMv7 CPU+Adreno 205 GPU, then Walking Dead could run with minor or no lag at all.

So could you please port it for Android too? Like I said, I hesitated about the purchase of the PC version, but I would pick up all episodes on Google Play, that is 100%.

Please don't let down your fans by making this an Apple exclusive title. That would not just hurt your fans, but also would not be good on financial side. Apple is great, iPhone/iPad are neat devices, however in almost all major countries (including the United States and most European countries) iOS sales are nowhere near Android sales.

Just in the US 51% of smartphone users are Android users and iOS is "only" 32%.

So please make the Walking Dead episodes for Android too :)

86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • While it would be great to see the episodes in Android devices, didn't TT say that it would be too hard to release the episodes on the devices due to the advanced specs?

• @Zeruis said: While it would be great to see the episodes in Android devices, didn't TT say that it would be too hard to release the episodes on the devices due to the advanced specs?

I don't know, but Madfinger Games and Gameloft release games now that are optimised for all devices and the files are stored on the Google server so they wouldn't have to bother with that either.

It is true, that there are more kinds of GPUs in Android devices and more testing/optimization would be needed, but the sales would be twice as much too.

If they really want to make a profit, it would not be wise to leave out Android devices. Even though Final Fantasy 3 is really overpriced, it earned more than $1 million only on Android devices in 1 month. I think that's not bad for a mobile phone game. Leaving out Android would be like leaving out X-Box 360 or PS3 and only release it for the other one.

Also, TT would not have to start making the Android version from 0, they already have some things done (like the new UI and controls).

• next people will want a nintendo 3ds version...

people also want on time releases once a month and lots of spoilery info on the game.

sheesh

• @Milosuperspesh said: next people will want a nintendo 3ds version...

people also want on time releases once a month and lots of spoilery info on the game.

sheesh

Porting to 3DS is a bit different than to Android, so many changes would have to be made that I don't even know why do you mention the 2 together.

Any company that cares about their fans and of course profit, ports the mobile game that they release/released on iOS to Android too.

• i mentioned it cos sooner or later theres going to be a thread for each of the remaining formats...

pc and consoles are better in everyway compared to tablets and phones which basically need to be attached to a power source to run it other wise the battery will die quickly and so you can't play it...hence more whinging..

• @Milosuperspesh said: i mentioned it cos sooner or later theres going to be a thread for each of the remaining formats...

pc and consoles are better in everyway compared to tablets and phones which basically need to be attached to a power source to run it other wise the battery will die quickly and so you can't play it...hence more whinging..

I sense that you don't even like that it was ported to iOS :)

Porting from iOS to Android is not as a big job like poring it to 3DS or Vita, that is why most companies release their mobile games for Android and iOS, since if you make it for one of them, it's not that hard (I'm not saying it is easy) to port it to the other.

• i'm indifferent lol

mainly cos the only apple products i use is a 4th gen ipod video with itunes and a 1st gen shuffle thats it lol

• i once asked this very same question on these forums and got the answer that porting to android isnt as easy as iOS as there are multiple android devices which operate on different versions of android, and each have different specs. so unlike with the standardised iPad/iPhone, porting to android would not be a straight forward task, and if they started porting to the higher end android tablets, those with lower end ones would get all pissy about it and demand it got ported to there specifications. And for a time/reward point of view, porting to a very small number of android tablets would probably not be as fiscally rewarding as iOS.

TL DR: Quit ya bitchin'

• @toothiersnow said: i once asked this very same question on these forums and got the answer that porting to android isnt as easy as iOS as there are multiple android devices which operate on different versions of android, and each have different specs. so unlike with the standardised iPad/iPhone, porting to android would not be a straight forward task, and if they started porting to the higher end android tablets, those with lower end ones would get all pissy about it and demand it got ported to there specifications. And for a time/reward point of view, porting to a very small number of android tablets would probably not be as fiscally rewarding as iOS.

TL DR: Quit ya bitchin'

Why on Earth would they port it to just tablets? Most people use phones, porting it to tablets (either iOS or Android) only would be a stupid idea.
    Yes, porting to Android would take a bit more time, but wouldn't the profit+the gratitude of the fans compensate for the extra time it took? What else could they possible ask for besides more money and more fans? :)

Like at the iPhone 4, a phone with at least 1 core 1Ghz ARMv7 cpu+Adreno 205/PowerVR 530 gpu should be enough to run it if ported right, this would cover most of the Android users. Yes there is a small percentage who uses old phones with ARMv6, but if they can handle the people who own Iphone 3G and 3GS, then they could handle those too.

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

Telltale's crofael posted this in April:

@crofael said: We currently have no plans to do releases on Android. The main reason has to do with hardware. iOS devices all have a similar profile: there's an easily identifiable minimum amount of memory, CPU and GPU power that we can target from an engine standpoint.

Now think about Android. How many different Android devices from how many different manufacturers are available? In the hundreds. And for the most part, they are all extremely disparate in their hardware specifications. Between this device fragmentation and the fact that most Android devices on the market are not all that great for gaming, we'd rather focus on making our engine better on the platforms we already do support.

All that being said, I'm a programmer and so I'm not up to speed on what our sales and marketing plans are for the future, so it's entirely possible that at some point we'll start putting our games on Android. But in the meantime I'm afraid it's not in the cards.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :/

Add Comment