User Avatar Image

Commerce means civilization

posted by The_Cheshire_Cat on - last edited - Viewed by 893 users

Has this been realized? On the preview of the next episode there is a short clip with Clem and Lee on a train. Clem is asking about adults being mad.

At first I didn’t think about it, but I been reading ‘Atlas Shrugged’ so maybe that’s why it dawned on me but…

In order for that train to run someone has to be driving it. As simple as it may look not just anybody can hop in a train and drive it. In order for the train to move fuel has to be used, and goods must be being transported between one location and other.

So in other words money is moving that train. The train looked empty except for Clem and Lee, so it’s not like it’s a FEMA train. So I wonder then…does this mean there are pockets of civilization in which that train is going back and forth from. A railway system is complicated and expensive to maintain. It takes more than just one train conductor to make it work. That means a lot of people are alive, thriving and most importantly making commerce.

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That would make sence, but these 'people' will most likely have to die to keep it amusing, or you for some reason have to leave them..

• Well you have to look at the time line im guessing its been 3 months from episode 1 to episode 2. So going into episode 3 it might be 1 month later. So in all you looking at 4 months total since the outbreak so im thinking trains our still runable if you have access to them.

• @AceStarr said: Well you have to look at the time line im guessing its been 3 months from episode 1 to episode 2. So going into episode 3 it might be 1 month later. So in all you looking at 4 months total since the outbreak so im thinking trains our still runable if you have access to them.

Yep,I thought that too. But Since I don't know the type of train (engine) I can't guess at the fuel type.

But like I'm saying running a train is a specific skill set. We have to assume that who ever is running it survived throughout the outbreak.

Also, what about junctions and track switches. How is the train going back and forth? Are they using a train yard? All this requires alot of people working as one. And we know the only motivation for anything is money. So alot of money is being made to get all these things working. 4 months after a outbreak to have to train running seems like a miracle. Since one would expect that the people with the "know how" would either scatter or be zombies 4 months in.

• Hmmm well its diff a cargo train i can tell that much. But you might be right maybe its a community set up around the train station i think one clips shows them near a train station building. But then if thats the case maybe they have some type of leadership and community around this train station. Maybe this is why the group splits up from viewing scenes for episode 3. Lillly probly goes on her own. Lee and his group (clem,carly or doug) stay and Kenny(his family, new guy) leave to reach the boat.

• @The_Cheshire_Cat said: At first I didn’t think about it, but I been reading ‘Atlas Shrugged’ so maybe that’s why it dawned on me but…

And this is the first sign of this post going no where. Terrible, terrible book.

In order for that train to run someone has to be driving it. As simple as it may look not just anybody can hop in a train and drive it. In order for the train to move fuel has to be used, and goods must be being transported between one location and other.

I'm sorry? What?

1. Its already stated that the group has plenty of fuel. That was the soul reason the St. Johns even started the trade. For fuel!

2. Trains normally are used for goods yes, but... its kind of a zombie apocolypse, and trains are a really good protection from them while at the same time moving people from place to place. No goods at all needed.

So in other words money is moving that train.

False. More like they had fuel on them, so they used the train. It isn't hard to believe the conductor of the train is a survivor just hiding out in the train.

The train looked empty except for Clem and Lee, so it’s not like it’s a FEMA train.

Zombie Apocalypses tend to lower the population I've heard.

So I wonder then…does this mean there are pockets of civilization in which that train is going back and forth from.

A possibility. Or the train is so big the group could have separate sections of it and are using the train to find a new home.

A railway system is complicated and expensive to maintain.

Its not expensive when the world has ended an everything goes.

It takes more than just one train conductor to make it work.

And it takes more than 3 people to maintain such a giant farm. AKA "Video game logic" applies here more than anything.

That means a lot of people are alive, thriving and most importantly making commerce.

A lot of people ARE alive as the comics show, but none of them are ever worried about currency or anything of the sort, they are worried about... staying alive and not being murdered!

• @AceStarr said: hmmm well its diff a cargo train i can tell that much. But you might be right maybe its a community set up around the train station i think one clips shows them near a train station building. But then if thats the case maybe they have some type of leadership and community around this train station. Maybe this is why the group splits up from viewing scenes for episode 3. Lillly probly goes on her own. lee and his group (clem,carly or doug) stay and Kenny(his family, new guy) leave to reach the boat.

sounds about right.

But I still wanna stress that this thing has to be bigger than just one community, because other wise who are they trading with? There has to be another community (at least one other one) on the other end of the line somewhere.

• It would be interesting if they do have two communitys tradeing via train.

• @Gman5852 said: And this is the first sign of this post going no where.

Sir, do you realize that you are a fool? That's all I'm going to say about your intelligence less the german comes round.

I'm not here to defend Ayn Rand, but let me ask. Have you even read the (entire) book? How can you be critical of something you have not seen (or read) for yourself?

Anyway, I brought up the book only to say it got me thinking about trains.

Lets go through your rebuttal:

First of all my naive friend trains don't run on the same fuel that cars do. Modern trains run on either diesel fuel or electricity. It is assumed that the group has lots of fuel to run a car, that's why they could run the generator. (assuming the generator was gas as it was small and crummy so that is likely) So in either case, especially electric, some sort of advanced pocket of civilization still thrives.

Second, you mention trains being used for protection. However, who has the money (diesel fuel, electricity, maintenance, parts) to run the train up and down the track. For four months? And to that end one cannot just drive a car around and around and expect it not to break down need fuel or a tire here or there, so why can a train just be run the same way at no cost.

It is hard to believe that one man is running the train. He cant switch tracks he can't clear debris that their might be. How does he know where he is going? How does he know the track is in tact? So can he only go forward and not backward. Where does he get fuel, and is he making repairs all by himself. Assuming the train is running on diesel he has to be getting it from somewhere. If you had read the book you would know that running a train is complex.

I mention FEMA train to say that Clem and Lee are not being forced or deported. I mention it is empty to say they have more than likely hopped a train in motion. If it was full it might be government train hence FEMA

You allow that there are pockets, you say that maybe they have the train sectioned off, looking for a new home. Okay, so you agree that there has to be at least one pocket of civilization, but again all the things it takes to run a train system it is less likely to be a group of travels and more likely to be a group of people trying to get civilization back on its feet. My friend, do you not know that commerce is how civilizations start?

You claim its not expensive, but what about the fuel and parts. Where will that be gotten? It may not be paid for in dollars but it has to at least be bartered, or taken. It is expensive in time and labour as well.

A farm is different from a train, as it is stationary and with the fence it was a whole lot easier. The farm was more or less self sufficient with the wood, and the animal and a generator. The supplies needed to run a house and the supplies needed to run a train are very different naive one.

And finally, yes in the comics lots of people are alive, and no they don't speak of money because they have not gotten that far in society. things are not that stable. But if a group is big enough and stable enough to run a train system I am sure they have worried about money. Any group would want to return back to "normal" and commerce is the first sign of normal.

What did George Bush say after 9/11. "Go out and stimulate the economy."

Y u know nothing?

• the train most likely is a steam locomotive which is powered by coal/wood burning to heat water in a boiler, i'd say the wood supply is pretty good.. heck even corpses would probably work..if you can get em in..

money is no longer relevant it is a barter system....

Add Comment